Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
I've have had my Outer Banks only three days, but I've already learned a few things that contradict what others have said on this forum.

1. I don't hate auto start. Perhaps it's because most of my life I have driven a manual, but I find the auto start stop no trouble at all. I don't immediately take my foot off the brake and stomp on the gas, so for me, I don't notice any power delay. As far as the slight vibration when the engine restarts; it's an engine starting, what do you expect? Mine doesn't jerk or jump or anything.

2. Gas mileage is way better than I expected. Again, I'm pretty light on the pedal, and I also live in an area with a lot of roads with 55 mile an hour speed limits, which is a sweet spot, mileagewise. But in mixed city/highway driving I am getting 34mpg. That only one tank of gas, so things will change, but initially I'm comfortably over 30mpg. For comparison, I never got over 28mpg mixed on my Subaru Crosstrek.

3. It's been a long time since I drove a Ford. My several cars have been Subaru, GM, Saturn, and Fiat. The Ford Outer Banks feels like a much more sophisticated vehicle. The tech is second only to maybe Honda, (I drive my girlfriend's CRV often) but I like the Ford Sync3 better. Sync4 must be something amazing.

4. Ford missed the boat on the Cruise Control switch. Every car I've ever owned or driven, even rentals, have had the Cruise controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Ford chose to move it to the left. It's almost like moving the turn signal to the right and the wipers to the left.

5. I don't like rear window tint, or the inside mirror. I don't know which is to blame, but I feel like I can't even see out of the back window through the mirror. It seems like a day/night mirror stuck on dark. Am I alone on this?

6. I knew this because I'm not a jack rabbit driver, but the 1.5L has plenty of power for me. I have owned many cars with less power. I'm glad I didn't get a BL just for the 2.0L engine.

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more observations as I drive more, but overall I'm really happy I waited.

Tom
Sponsored

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
First off congrats on your OB. I'd agree with you, the auto stop/start doesn't bother me, having had a couple of other cars that had it I guess I just got use to it. The fuel economy has been great, way better than I was expecting, I had a high of 31.6 with more of a highway mix and now I'm at 29.4 with more of a town mix. The 1.5L has more than enough power, I've never felt it was a problem even driving in the mountains. I think if you were towing or doing any serious off road driving you probably would want the 2.0L though. As for the window tint, I like it especially here in NC in the summertime. I plan on getting the driver and passenger window tinted as well. Funny I didn't really notice the cruise control but I guess you are right, it is on the opposite side, I guess I just adapted. :)

My OB is the first Ford I have ever owned and I've had a lot of cars in my life. I've really liked the BS so far, the only thing I worry about is the build quality, being a first time Ford owner I have nothing to go by except what I read in these forums and I know from other forums the problems tend to get posted more.

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 OB+OB, 360+, Tow Pkg. (2021)
I've have had my Outer Banks only three days, but I've already learned a few things that contradict what others have said on this forum.

1. I don't hate auto start. Perhaps it's because most of my life I have driven a manual, but I find the auto start stop no trouble at all. I don't immediately take my foot off the brake and stomp on the gas, so for me, I don't notice any power delay. As far as the slight vibration when the engine restarts; it's an engine starting, what do you expect? Mine doesn't jerk or jump or anything.

2. Gas mileage is way better than I expected. Again, I'm pretty light on the pedal, and I also live in an area with a lot of roads with 55 mile an hour speed limits, which is a sweet spot, mileagewise. But in mixed city/highway driving I am getting 34mpg. That only one tank of gas, so things will change, but initially I'm comfortably over 30mpg. For comparison, I never got over 28mpg mixed on my Subaru Crosstrek.

3. It's been a long time since I drove a Ford. My several cars have been Subaru, GM, Saturn, and Fiat. The Ford Outer Banks feels like a much more sophisticated vehicle. The tech is second only to maybe Honda, (I drive my girlfriend's CRV often) but I like the Ford Sync3 better. Sync4 must be something amazing.

4. Ford missed the boat on the Cruise Control switch. Every car I've ever owned or driven, even rentals, have had the Cruise controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Ford chose to move it to the left. It's almost like moving the turn signal to the right and the wipers to the left.

5. I don't like rear window tint, or the inside mirror. I don't know which is to blame, but I feel like I can't even see out of the back window through the mirror. It seems like a day/night mirror stuck on dark. Am I alone on this?

6. I knew this because I'm not a jack rabbit driver, but the 1.5L has plenty of power for me. I have owned many cars with less power. I'm glad I didn't get a BL just for the 2.0L engine.

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more observations as I drive more, but overall I'm really happy I waited.

Tom
Even though I do not have my BS OB yet. (It’s been sitting at the rail yard in Lordstown for 5 days
) I would like to respond to your string.

1. I have owned several manuals in the past also. I don’t mind the auto stop. My daughter has a car with it. It’s just a little alarming to hear/feel the engine shut off when you’re not doing the actual shutting off. I am usually running the AC so it doesn’t always shut off.

2. Anything over 28 is great!

3. We ordered the BS OB because of the gadgets and comfort. Not going to be “off-roading” so the BS BL was not necessary. The icy roads and steep driveway are the reason for the need of something all wheel drive.

4. The only car I have driven with the cruise on the right side was my Fiat. Most of the cars I have owned were American, maybe that’s why

5. I’ve only drove the BS in the daylight, so I have no comment or comparison.

6. I am not a jackrabbit starter either.

I liked your current observations, looking forward to hearing more! I cannot wait to have and make some of my own!

M1Tanker

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Couple of neat things I noticed

1. When turning left or right the lights brighten up in the direction of travel.

2. If I have my brights on the and oncoming traffic appears they revert back to normal until the car goes by.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Another congrats on your Bronco Sport. These are fun vehicles for sure.

1. I don't hate auto start.
Agree. I wanted to hate the auto start/stop when I got my Expedition a few years ago, but gave it a chance after a couple weeks of continuously disabling it. Once you’re used to it, no big deal, never really notice it. I had a bad experience with auto start on a Chevy Malibu that I was forced to drive as a loaner a few years back and that tainted my perception. But no, it’s ll good here.

2. Gas mileage is way better than I expected.
Surprised me too. We have the Badlands with the 2.0L and still manage close to 27MPG most of the time.

3. It's been a long time since I drove a Ford. My several cars have been Subaru, GM, Saturn, and Fiat. The Ford Outer Banks feels like a much more sophisticated vehicle. The tech is second only to maybe Honda,
The tech is decent. I own/ drive lots of different vehicles. Sync3 is good, but is definitely dated since I’ve been driving an Expedition with Sync3 since early 2018. Sync4 is better in some ways, but hasn’t shown to be much of an upgrade other than its ability to use larger screens more efficiently. The lack of advancement with Sync4 really comes down to it being end of life. Ford, like many automakers, will be transitioning to Android. I’m really surprised they’re not jumping to the new Android based system with the F-150 Lightning. GM just unveiled their updated Chevy Silverado pickups and they have made the Android shift.

Ford offers a good amount of tech features, but they’re notoriously bad with the implementation. Their wireless charging pad is incompatible with the iPhone 12 and a couple of the newer Samsung phones. The USB ports do not have any fast charge or smart features both the Type-A and Type-C are limited to 5V 0.5A and each pair share a 2.5W supply. To offer up some examples that are mildly infuriating.

4. Ford missed the boat on the Cruise Control switch. Every car I've ever owned or driven, even rentals, have had the Cruise controls on the right side of the steering wheel.
Nah
. Lots of cars have cruise and driver assist functionality on the left. I think I‘ve owned more vehicles with it on the left

5. I don't like rear window tint, or the inside mirror.
Hmm
. You might want to check your mirror or have it looked at. The rear window tint is there, but shouldn’t make it super dark in the mirror. If it’s what you describe, the auto-dimming might be stuck on dim.

The 1.5L works great for a lot of people. I do wish they offered the 2.0L in more than just the top Badlands trim.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Congrats on your new ride! Some comments based on my experience.

1. I like the auto stop with the ability to turn it off. I do a lot of wildlife photography. If I see an animal out my window on a trail I just put on the brake, the engine dies and the auto brake holds me in place.

2. My 2.0 will consistently get over 30 mpg if I'm driving 70 or below. Speed up to 80 and the Bronco's lack of aerodynamics affect mileage, epecially in wind.

3. I'm frequently offroad and the 1.5 just wouldn't work for me. The other day we went up a long 19 degree climb wih 4 passengers and lots of gear in the back. No problem. I have previously failed to make this clim in an AWD Ford Explorer and a AWD GMC Terrain. Very little slippage in the BL.

6. I like some measure of performance. Drive my BL in Sport mode a lot in town. Those knuckleheads who try to pass me becuase I am driving a safe distance, better have a lot of HP if they are going to do it. Different strokes for different folks, but if I couldn't ge the BL, I wouldn't own a BS. Lots of other offroad features other than the added power.

Overall, the BS line up suits a lot of folks. I think their biggest miss is not offering the 2.0 in all trims.

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I appreciate your opinions and comments. I've got a little over 700 miles on my BS OB. Great little vehicle, and this is my fourth Ford in a row since 2000.

I only dislike the Auto Start/Stop because I'm from the generation that had to deal with replacing starters, alternators, and batteries too often. Its just a bit uncomfortable sitting at a busy intersection and the vehicle quits running. That's never felt good to me in the past. I also know how stressful an engine start is on the system. Doing it often cannot be healthy for many components, not just the starter.

I'm only 4 miles from town, so my mileage is going to be low. It's about 26.5-28 mpg so far. No long highway trips over an hour or so yet. Still much better than my old 2018 F-150.

Ford is the only brand for me. This is a touchy subject so I'll leave it at that. I have been driving loaners from the dealer for about 2 months as I waited for my BS to arrive. First another F-150 XLT, then a hybrid Explorer Limited. I will say that the interior is much nicer than the Explorer Limited at about half the price. Nice detail, and small tolerances on fit and gaps of components. Very impressive for a sub $50,000 vehicle.

I've always driven many other vehicles and company cars, so I'm used to the variety. This setup for the cruise control seems par for the course to me.

I added 25% darker tint all around, except the front, of course. Living in the Sun Belt requires it. I have rather poor (old) eyesight, but have no issues with the vision at night out the back window/mirror, but we're all different, I suppose.

The 1.5L engine is enough for anyone on the street in normal driving conditions. I only considered the FE 2.0L since I was switching from an F-150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. Great, powerful engines for what they are, and I don't need anything more powerful. This 1.5L is all I'll ever need.

The only thing I'm missing is the front and rear tow hooks. I'll probably get a nudge bar for the front if it's not too much trouble to install, and add some meatier tires. Overall, It's a very impressive build.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I appreciate your opinions and comments. I've got a little over 700 miles on my BS OB. Great little vehicle, and this is my fourth Ford in a row since 2000.

I only dislike the Auto Start/Stop because I'm from the generation that had to deal with replacing starters, alternators, and batteries too often. Its just a bit uncomfortable sitting at a busy intersection and the vehicle quits running. That's never felt good to me in the past. I also know how stressful an engine start is on the system. Doing it often cannot be healthy for many components, not just the starter.

I'm only 4 miles from town, so my mileage is going to be low. It's about 26.5-28 mpg so far. No long highway trips over an hour or so yet. Still much better than my old 2018 F-150.

Ford is the only brand for me. This is a touchy subject so I'll leave it at that. I have been driving loaners from the dealer for about 2 months as I waited for my BS to arrive. First another F-150 XLT, then a hybrid Explorer Limited. I will say that the interior is much nicer than the Explorer Limited at about half the price. Nice detail, and small tolerances on fit and gaps of components. Very impressive for a sub $50,000 vehicle.

I've always driven many other vehicles and company cars, so I'm used to the variety. This setup for the cruise control seems par for the course to me.

I added 25% darker tint all around, except the front, of course. Living in the Sun Belt requires it. I have rather poor (old) eyesight, but have no issues with the vision at night out the back window/mirror, but we're all different, I suppose.

The 1.5L engine is enough for anyone on the street in normal driving conditions. I only considered the FE 2.0L since I was switching from an F-150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. Great, powerful engines for what they are, and I don't need anything more powerful. This 1.5L is all I'll ever need.

The only thing I'm missing is the front and rear tow hooks. I'll probably get a nudge bar for the front if it's not too much trouble to install, and add some meatier tires. Overall, It's a very impressive build.
The auto stop doesn't use the starter to restart otherwise they would incur a lot of wear. The computers sense which cylinder is in the top position, give it a squirt of fuel and fire it to start the engine.

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The auto stop doesn't use the starter to restart otherwise they would incur a lot of wear. The computers sense which cylinder is in the top position, give it a squirt of fuel and fire it to start the engine.
Interesting ... I did not know that.

One thing that also surprised me is that switching to Sport mode disables auto stop/start. This is as it should be but was a frequent complaint among owners of my previous ride. One would think that a performance oriented vehicle like the Kia Stinger would have that same behavior.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Regarding auto stop/start. I notice when using Sport goat mode, the auto stop/start stays OFF, even after turning off the engine and restarting. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I have a defect.

Edit: @jazzdab, just noticed your post about Sport mode....

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
1. I have owned several manuals in the past also. I don’t mind the auto stop. My daughter has a car with it. It’s just a little alarming to hear/feel the engine shut off when you’re not doing the actual shutting off. I am usually running the AC so it doesn’t always shut off.
Ford's implementation of Auto-Stop / Auto-Start will cycle the engine OFF while the AC compressor is OFF, then cycle the engine back ON in order for the AC compressor to run. The net effect is that you'll see maybe a 40% duty cycle while stopped at a traffic light, when it's ~90°F out and your requested interior temperature is 70°F with Auto mode II (aggressiveness of fan speed in automatic mode) enabled.

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Regarding auto stop/start. I notice when using Sport goat mode, the auto stop/start stays OFF, even after turning off the engine and restarting. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I have a defect.

Edit: @jazzdab, just noticed your post about Sport mode....
Does your BS return to the default mode or stay in Sport mode when you restart? I haven't quite figured out whether the modes are persistent for some period of time or not. I noticed I stayed in Sport mode after a fill up once but have not seen that happen again. Maybe a factor of time?

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
1. When turning left or right the lights brighten up in the direction of travel.
This is "Cornering Light" functionality. I just wish it could be configured to flip the logic when rolling in reverse to spot obstructions as the front-end swings wide in a reverse-turn. :)

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Yours is working as intended. Auto start/stop will be disabled in certain drive modes or under certain conditions. When the AC is on Max or when the AC needs to run the compressor, it will run the engine. Sport mode, tow/haul mode and some of the other GOAT modes will disable the auto start/stop. Once you get a feel for it, you can also keep the engine running or get it started by lifting your foot off the brake just enough, but the brake will still hold because you don't let off completely.

Sport mode is great on the 2.0L. Really shows what that engine and the Bronco Sport are capable of. I don't really care for the fake engine noise they're pumping into he cabin in Sport Mode. That has become pretty common with a lot of trucks/ SUVs the last few years because some industry marketing geniuses think that people need to hear what sounds like a V8 rumbling away.
Sponsored