New Kia Sorento x-line

Dex15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Hey everyone, new to the form and don't own a BS yet. Me and my wife are in the market for a midsize SUV mainly for her DD and I'm trying to convince her the BS badlands would be awesome. I've been doing a ton of research and the only other vehicle that has really even peeked our interest is the new Kia Sorento ex prestige x-line (insert a million other useless kia trim identifiers). The top trim with awd is in the 43kish range so a bit more than the BS but the tech features and the interior appear to be nicer than the ford. Just curious if the new sorento has popped up on anyones radar and what made them ultimately go with the BS.
Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
It did until I saw a test of the kia’s awd system and found it was easily defeated. I really want to like it because it’s definitely a nice vehicle. The awd is what swayed me.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Best advice I can give you is take em both for a test drive. Personally "foreign" manufacturing has a different design perspective. I don't care for their feature configuration and where knobs etc are located. Not to say you can't get used to different and sometimes different is better. We've seen a few kias they look nice. Bronco was a no brainer for me, and the test drives just confirmed it.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Hey everyone, new to the form and don't own a BS yet. Me and my wife are in the market for a midsize SUV mainly for her DD and I'm trying to convince her the BS badlands would be awesome. I've been doing a ton of research and the only other vehicle that has really even peeked our interest is the new Kia Sorento ex prestige x-line (insert a million other useless kia trim identifiers). The top trim with awd is in the 43kish range so a bit more than the BS but the tech features and the interior appear to be nicer than the ford. Just curious if the new sorento has popped up on anyones radar and what made them ultimately go with the BS.
Hope you don't actually think the BS is midsize SUV.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I wouldn't consider it compact either. We rented a compact in Vegas...the sport is not compact. It's not expedition luxury but it's not intended to be. My sister has a four door wrangler which feels much smaller to me with the seating configuration

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I wouldn't consider it compact either. We rented a compact in Vegas...the sport is not compact. It's not expedition luxury but it's not intended to be. My sister has a four door wrangler which feels much smaller to me with the seating configuration
Actually, the Sport is classified as a subcompact.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
The sport is tiny other than height and the amount of hood. Same length and only 2” wider than a Ford Focus. 10” Shorter and 7 to 10 fewer cubic feet inside than a Honda CRV. Front seats are spacious, but back seat and cargo area are not. Most of the measurements are in between a Jeep Compass and Cherokee. For all I know it has more total exterior volume than any of those, but it’d be an unusual parking situation where the big hood and square body matters.

I love that my Bronco Sport is as short and narrow as it is, immensely helpful parking at home, work and many of my errands. I kinda like the big boxy styling, but I wouldn’t be under any illusions that the BS is bigger than it is.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Oh I am not considering it huge. I ordered based on the idea an F-150 was far more truck than I need at this point. I guess when I think of sub-compact I consider something much smaller. My wife has a jeep compass and I felt the sport was a bit bigger inside. I guess I will have a better idea some time this summer.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I now see 2 B/S at my workplace regularly (Both Outerbanks.... because NC I guess) and they DO look SUPER short... I knew they were a tad bit shorter than my 2010 "boxy" Escape but somehow I wasn't prepared for that much of ... SHORTness... and the short-ness is amplified by being taller than the 2010 Escape. I am not shocked to the point of giving up on the B/S or anything (I have long decided to wait for 2022 models to see if Badlands trim would add some more stuff/options or if there will be any "bugs" that will be ironed out...faint hope of 2.3L etc etc, but mostly because I got the used 2010 Escape Limited recently)
- and somehow I LOVE my 2010 Escape (AWD, V6, Limited trim)-- the shape, the looks, and it somehow looks more logically proportioned and "normal" compared to the B/S... As I have already done some mild mods to it, and got some mechanical maintenance done, I feel like I should at least keep it another year or so... (it has 92k miles)... compared to the B/S it it a very ANALOG car is the best way I can put it, and there's something i like about it being that way - not too much electronics. I read somewhere that the 2nd gen boxy Escape is one of the highest demand vehicles in the used SUV market right now, sometimes fetching more than even the 3rd gen "bubble" Escape from 2013 and up.

I love the B/S looks from the front and the back but man when I see it from the side, it IS still pretty shocking to see how "chopped off" it looks.
And one other thing I might miss: My boxy escape has a much taller flip up glass which means the rear wiper is longer and wipes a LOT of the flip up window glass. The B/S rear wiper is TINY - because not so tall glass, so the length of the wiper is much smaller and that means VERY small area of wipe.

Last edited:

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
Sorento is a bigger vehicle. The Seltos or the Sportage is more a competitor IMO. I was comparing the BS with Seltos. The tech and comfort features I was looking for was only in the SX trim for the Seltos. That Seltos trim only came with Dual Clutch Transmission, so that was a no for me, due to the overheating issues. Not sure why they would go with a DCT in an offroad type vehicle, unless they really don't want it going offroad. If it wasn't for that, I would have gotten the Seltos. I didn't even know the BS existed, and only found out about it when I kept searching. Walked across the street from the Kia dealership and found out about the BS and loved the look and capability. Outer Banks had the tech and comfort features I was looking for, wish it had memory seats though. First time owning a Ford, hope it's reliable. Warranty is way shorter than the Kia's.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
People can say whatever they want about Kia but my mind is stick in like 2009 when they were shit and use to sell them buy one get one free. Everyone who had one didn't have it for long....

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Get this Kia thread off of the Bronco forum. You cant even compare the two.
Sponsored