New Bronco Sport Owners Break In Period

Are you following the break-in period suggestions?

• Total voters

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Break in, Over the years, my way and how my engines performed and lasted.
My miles on the clock may seem extreme but I drove 70 to 95,000 miles per year for 15 plus years,
starting in 2001 so here goes.
Every Engine I drove with constant throttle variations, nothing extreme, and no more than 65% power to 500 miles.
Then I changed the oil and filter, yes at 500 miles.
Then I drove it like I stole It for the next 500 miles and never looked back.
All roach oil changes were at 5,000 miles and when Full synthetic came online all Oil Intervals were
at 10,000 miles.
ALL were purchased new:
1988 Toyota pick up, 4 cyl 22R engine, sold running fine at 355,000
2000 Toyota pick up 2.4 Ltr 4 banger Totaled at 485,000
2006 Toyota Pick Up 2.7 Ltr 4 banger Started getting doggy at 528,000 miles, compression was dropping so traded on:
2013 Ford F-150 3.7 Ltr V-6, (Very Powerful) Sold personally to the sales man at ford who sold it to me two years later with 167,000 miles. ran like new.
2015 Ford Transit connect LWB XLT 2.4 Ltr 4 banger, the same engine that powered the Ranger Pick up for decades. At 129,000 was traded for my Current squeeze, My Bronco Sport.

My Better half :
1988 Toyota Corolla traded at 390,000

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Liter straight six made by AMC In 1957, converted to EFI for the jeeps.
at 394,000 the rear mains let go. dropped a quart of oil every 50 miles.
Reason for the mains failing. The Crank bearings wore down thin allowing the crank to vibrate
and that destroyed the seals.
This Jeep remained on roach oil. Its whole service life. I am confident If It would have been on full
synthetic oil It would have surpassed 500,000 miles.

Not a single engine I've ever owned has ever had a single Internal engine problem.
Sponsored

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
apparently this is not possible. Also this is apparently the standard “breaking-in”recommendations for a number of vehicles. But I’m sure you can find a vehicle with a clutch for you to break in. I believe a 4 door bronco comes standard with one
Right, this is called "boilerplate" documentation, that is not specific, but general to many different vehicles, and may or may not be applicable.

My reference was once again, an oblique, but lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek jab at my disappointment in not having the option of a manual in the Sport. Unlike many luxury features that may not be appropriate for an outdoor, action-oriented vehicle, a manual actually adds to many enthusiasts' experience of driving, hence, its inclusion on the big Bronco. I know it will never happen, as this vehicle's market base won't support it. I have considered the bigger Bronco for the manual, but I really don't want to deal with the big tire on the back, truthfully.
I am coming to terms with driving an automatic as my options have greatly dwindled..

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I'm at 500 miles now and the transmission is shifting realllllly smoothly now. Super fast changes and acceleration is great. So wait, when do I want my first oil change? I have a badlands.

OP
OP

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
I'm at 500 miles now and the transmission is shifting realllllly smoothly now. Super fast changes and acceleration is great. So wait, when do I want my first oil change? I have a badlands.
I’m wondering the same. And will it be beneficial to change to full synthetic?

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I’m wondering the same. And will it be beneficial to change to full synthetic?
I've been sitting here reading my owners manual to determine when to change. It says nothing about changing the oil for the first time on the break in period page or the scheduled maintenance page. Did you know this thing has intelligent oil change intervals?!?! It senses the weather, driving conditions, and how you drive then will change the interval accordingly!
I think I'm just going to bring it in and change the oil/filter at 3 thousand miles just to be safe? I normally went to Valvoline for my old car but do you think I'm taking a chance by not getting my oil changed at the dealer? I own my car, I'm not leasing it. My dealer is like 45 minutes away so it's a pain to get it done down there.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I've been sitting here reading my owners manual to determine when to change. It says nothing about changing the oil for the first time on the break in period page or the scheduled maintenance page. Did you know this thing has intelligent oil change intervals?!?! It senses the weather, driving conditions, and how you drive then will change the interval accordingly!
I think I'm just going to bring it in and change the oil/filter at 3 thousand miles just to be safe? I normally went to Valvoline for my old car but do you think I'm taking a chance by not getting my oil changed at the dealer? I own my car, I'm not leasing it. My dealer is like 45 minutes away so it's a pain to get it done down there.
What chance are you concerned about by changing it yourself? If you are concerned about warranty, just document everything with receipts for the oil and filter.
You may even get a better outcome as you care more about your vehicle than the they do. No offense to any service techs on here, but many of them I know would agree.

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
What chance are you concerned about by changing it yourself? If you are concerned about warranty, just document everything with receipts for the oil and filter.
You may even get a better outcome as you care more about your vehicle than the they do. No offense to any service techs on here, but many of them I know would agree.
I don't have the room to have anything in my apartment somebody would normally have in their garage. My apartment is like 500 sqft with two people living in it. I don't want to keep oily buckets in here

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Toyota Corolla
Any reason to drive it everyday? I’m working from home currently and I’m wondering if there’s any issue leaving it without driving for a few days. Of course I’d love to drive it everyday, I just don’t have a reason/place I need to go daily.

Definitely unprecedented times, but wondering if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Have been letting it warm up ten minutes on cold mornings
You aren’t doing much good with that procedure. Engines are designed to operate best between a certain range of operating temperatures. The quickest way to get to those temperatures is to drive it. Idling prolongs the time the engine spends at cold temps.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Any reason to drive it everyday? I’m working from home currently and I’m wondering if there’s any issue leaving it without driving for a few days. Of course I’d love to drive it everyday, I just don’t have a reason/place I need to go daily.

Definitely I prevented times, but wondering if it makes any difference.
There is no reason for any car to be driven every day. Arguments could be made about antique cars, but any modern vehicle will have no problem sitting around. Think of how many cars sit unused at dealerships.

OP
OP

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
There is no reason for any car to be driven every day. Arguments could be made about antique cars, but any modern vehicle will have no problem sitting around. Think of how many cars sit unused at dealerships.
Is there a suggested max days a car can be left unused before having battery issues?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Is there a suggested max days a car can be left unused before having battery issues?
It really depends on age and condition of the battery, and how much draw the vehicle requires as it sits. Typically a vehicle’s radio and clock require power at all times for memory purposes. In addition, some computers require constant 12 volts, as well as alarm systems. BMW cars are notorious for draining their batteries (at least, when I worked there) after a week or so of sitting because of how many computers were still active even when the car was off.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Changing out the first oil load early is no longer needed as oil, filters and engine internals, (materials, CNC, fit/tolerances) have advanced so much.
I'll change it when my oil life indicator tells me to. But you can bet I'll keep a close watch incase that system fails.

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
Changing out the first oil load early is no longer needed as oil, filters and engine internals, (materials, CNC, fit/tolerances) have advanced so much.
I'll change it when my oil life indicator tells me to. But you can bet I'll keep a close watch incase that system fails.
Thank you!! I'll wait for a while and change it out with a little room to spare
Sponsored