Near redline at WOT - highway merge

Blooey

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS Heritage Limited, 2023 BS Badlands
Driving in Normal mode - '23 Badlands - had to really floor it getting onto the highway as the guy coming up on my left decided to not let me in at the last moment. RPMs went up to about 6000 for a few seconds. I sometimes hit 4,500 or so in less urgent situations but generally don't overdo it. Should I be concerned about any damage/excess wear or is the occasional near-redline to be expected?
Sponsored

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Nah I wouldn’t worry about it, I’m sure the manufacture test beyond that. Redlines at 6500 hundred.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Driving in Normal mode - '23 Badlands - had to really floor it getting onto the highway as the guy coming up on my left decided to not let me in at the last moment. RPMs went up to about 6000 for a few seconds. I sometimes hit 4,500 or so in less urgent situations but generally don't overdo it. Should I be concerned about any damage/excess wear or is the occasional near-redline to be expected?
hope you smoked him

The system has monitors and limits to protect itself. It simply won’t allow you to exceed preset parameters.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Regarding damage, @BravoAlpha is correct. The powertrain control module (PCM--computer that controls the engine) constantly monitors environmental factors and engine sensor data. When you make a maximum power demand (put the accelerator pedal on the floor) the PCM delivers the maximum power available under the conditions. Unless it is malfunctioning it will not allow power output to exceed safe limits.

Regarding excess wear, higher power output equals greater engine wear. Your engine was designed to accommodate brief maximum power output on occasion--for exactly the situation you describe--but prolonged, frequent high power demand will add significantly to engine wear and decrease longevity. TANSTAAFL.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Regarding damage, @BravoAlpha is correct. The powertrain control module (PCM--computer that controls the engine) constantly monitors environmental factors and engine sensor data. When you make a maximum power demand (put the accelerator pedal on the floor) the PCM delivers the maximum power available under the conditions. Unless it is malfunctioning it will not allow power output to exceed safe limits.

Regarding excess wear, higher power output equals greater engine wear. Your engine was designed to accommodate brief maximum power output on occasion--for exactly the situation you describe--but prolonged, frequent high power demand will add significantly to engine wear and decrease longevity. TANSTAAFL.
I completely agree, but thought I'd add some anecdotal evidence...

When I was commuting daily, I frequently drove my cars like I stole them. Maximum acceleration, shifts just shy of redline (hit the rev limiter a couple times when I was not paying close enough attention). A lot of high rpm operation.

The '93 Nissan NX2000 has 250,000 miles, the 2002 WRX has >200,000 -- 100,000 at Cobb Stage 2.

Both still run fine.

That said, I'm sure they would both run even longer if they had been driven more gently -- but in my experience, other stuff begins to fail long before the engine goes. In fact, I've never had to replace an engine in almost 50 years of lead-foot driving.

My sense is that there is a LOT of safety cushion built in.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
That's because you live in New Jersey. Here in North Carolina, other drivers actually slow down and wave you in. 😎

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That's because you live in New Jersey. Here in North Carolina, other drivers actually slow down and wave you in. 😎
This reminds me of the first time I drove in Boston. I turned on my blinker to merge and my brother said, “don't use your blinker in Boston; it shows a sign of weakness”

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
This reminds me of the first time I drove in Boston. I turned on my blinker to merge and my brother said, “don't use your blinker in Boston; it shows a sign of weakness”
It's actually a law in North Carolina that, if someone signals a lane change, you slow down and let them in.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
It's actually a law in North Carolina that, if someone signals a lane change, you slow down and let them in.
My wife and I have driven all over the country and it is amazing how the norms vary.

We do our best to avoid urban areas -- specially during rush hour. Rural areas are generally fine.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
In Chicago, it means speed up and close the hole. That gives them more space behind you. Maybe.

Rogerthat898

Big Bend
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'd like to see this law.
This would cause a horrible traffic flow issues.
Sponsored