MPGs

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I agree the gas meters can be off, but they are supposed to be tested regularly and sealed for tamper resistance, where there is no testing or enforcement required for the sensors measuring the gas usage for the computer calculates. If you will note occasionally you see pumps with the date and time of the last testing. Usually in a punched out paper form.
I understand how it works, I think you’re missing the point. They can test the pumps all they want but it doesn’t make them 100% accurate. All they are testing for is that it falls within the tolerance. So the fuel pump can be off by a bit and still pass.
Sponsored

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nope! Gentle acceleration, cruise set at 60, level road, no traffic. Pic was taken as we turned off the highway.
Might want to get your cruise control looked at, you set it at 60 on a level road with no traffic to slow you down and averaged a whopping 48.2 MPH...

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve used those insurance trackers and ended up saving a bit of money on insurance doing so. The trick is having another car to drive while the “tracked” car sits and is barely used.?

I’m not sure what percentage of “excellent” this short trip was, but it proves that a light foot and constant speed do reward you:
Ford Bronco Sport MPGs 9776B11A-5A4F-489A-A7B3-9EDC0357119F
Short mileage runs like this don't mean much. I could have posted one recently that showed 65 mpg for that distance. Coming out of the mountains of northern New Mexico.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The best advice I heard on getting good mpg is to avoid braking. There's some deeper thought in that than "just don't stop". It's about keeping your energy, the energy you used to get to speed. Braking cancels that energy. Hard braking wastes that energy. So if you can plan your acceleration and limit your braking... Think of catching all of the green lights without going onto the brakes.
And thus, better expressway mpg vs city/urban start stop.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
And thus, better expressway mpg vs city/urban start stop.
Yes, and even then there are braking strategies for hwy driving. The simplest being to keep enough distance that you will not need to brake as often. You can just let the vehicle slow down gradually instead of having to use the brakes, and that extra time can allow you to go around slower traffic or often the slower traffic will resume hwy speed before you need to brake.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes, and even then there are braking strategies for hwy driving. The simplest being to keep enough distance that you will not need to brake as often. You can just let the vehicle slow down gradually instead of having to use the brakes, and that extra time can allow you to go around slower traffic or often the slower traffic will resume hwy speed before you need to brake.
Yeah it's funny you say that. We returned a heavy rescue truck to Wisconsin for some repairs. I drove to Chicago, my co-pilot
took the second leg. He had driven semi trucks...his fuel efficiency was significantly better by a longshot.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Short mileage runs like this don't mean much. I could have posted one recently that showed 65 mpg for that distance. Coming out of the mountains of northern New Mexico.
True, I only posted it because it’s the highest I’ve achieved so far while driving more than 30 minutes. I’ve still been able to get high 30’s mpg on trips that are nearly 200 miles long though, as seen on this forum. That kind of run does mean a lot?. And none of it is downhill.?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Here’s another recent trip. Avg speed of 67.77 mph yielded just under 38 mpg.
Ford Bronco Sport MPGs EDAAB1C1-6701-479A-8BE4-2C86B1B8E568