Moonroof...please explain why you would want one...

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
Because I got the BL/BL I have a moonroof, I wouldn't have ordered one if I had the choice but I find I actually kind of like it. I tend to leave the shade open and it really brightens up the interior. When we were in the North Carolina Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago the moonroof was open a lot. I'd like it more though if I can get the darn thing to stop squeaking, that is probably a trip to the Ford dealer.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
IMHO
Pro’s :
More light,
See the stars at night
Nice breeze
Closest cheapest alternative to a convertible
People like bells and whistles,

Cons :
Expensive
Can leak
Raises vehicle center of gravity
Often rarely used making seals go bad faster
Sun comes into my eyes behind my glasses misses polarization.
Sea gulls love to crap on windshields but when they see an open sun roof it’s game on for a head shot,, I got that T-shirt.

My 2004 Escapae has one, I open it a few times a year to keep it working. If it breaks a C note says it’ll break while open…

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I imagine it is just like anything else- comes down to a "to each their own" end - for example leather seats drive me mad... the care is a pita .. i often carry stuff on my self the scratches can puncture etc... my dogs do a number on them ... i just dont see any benefit for me personally .... ibut, i tend to lean toward functionality and minimalism where i can ... my f150 doesnt even have carpet which i love... i really wish "less" options were an option on most vehicles haha... maybe. Abetter way to word that is i wish the trim levels were not necessarily tied to engine, drive train, and more functional options...

todd92

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia, F-150 x2, Edge x2
When sunroofs first started appearing on cars, I couldn't stand them. I still can't. Originally, they were a stand alone option, but good luck finding a car on a lot without one. Salesman tried to push them because they 'were good for resale'. I would say there has to be others like me? Then they started getting packaged with other desirable features. Hence, I've owned so many cars with this stupid hole in the roof that never gets opened. My wife hates them too.

Kudos to Ford for recently unbundling them, our 2020 Edge ST doesn't have one. My daughter ordered the 2022 BS, and ordered the moonroof, despite my best efforts to talk her out of it.

Seebs

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badland/2013 Mustang Convertible
My forthcoming BS/BL will be my eighth car with a sun/moonroof, and I've owned two convertibles, currently including a '13 Mustang. Because I'm not a fan of AC (allergies), I love the open air of the ragtop and the airflow of the sunroof. The only issue with both: plugged up rain drains. My '09 Jetta's spare tire compartment filled up during a heavy rain during its latter years with me. Always a potential hassle, but for many of us, moonroof are vital components in our vehicles.

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
If it breaks a C note says it’ll break while open…
The way my luck with vehicles has been going lately, I would 1000% bet my bottom dollar on this happening.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I have the moonroof. Why does someone want one; In a Bronco Sport? I have no idea. I only have it because it was take it or leave it with the Badlands Package that had numerous must-have things bundled in.

The only nice part is that you have a way to crack it open and have fresh air on a nice not-raining day. Or you can park it and crack it as long as no dust, rain, bird crap, leaves or other stuff is going to land there.

But this moonroof does not open very much. Maybe a 12" gap. No one is going to stand up through it. I have had other cars with a similar size glass and they slid all the way into the roof to open. Why this one goes up and back with the roof design is baffling. Since it goes up and out, that limits the roof rack use, or you have to make sure it stays closed. That is is you use the rack at all because having the moonroof lowers the load rating down to 100lb which includes the 30-50lbs of crossbars or baskets you put up there.

I think I opened it up one time, when we were out tracking the ISS flyover. Other than that, I have only opened the shade which makes a klunky rattle on some bumps that way.

OP
OP

garagelogic

Outer Banks
First Name
Brodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks for all the responses. It is, indeed, a personal preference just like many other options people order with their cars, I was not suggesting otherwise. It seems that, for most, it is not a deal breaker on a purchase. That is the way I feel. If I can choose NOT to have that option, I will, but if it is included in a package that has features I value more, it will not stop me from buying. I was just interested in the opinions of those where it is a deal breaker or "must have" option when buying a vehicle.

Last edited:

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had a Civic years ago that had one. I think I used it like 3 or 4 times. Just gets more sun in your eyes. When I heard about the issues with moonroofs delaying orders, it took me about 4 milliseconds to decide I did not need it.
How are you getting more sun in your eyes when it comes from the top? Not once have I ever closed it to stop me being blinded. Stopping the sun beating down on my head yes. Sun in my eyes no.

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have the moonroof. Why does someone want one; In a Bronco Sport? I have no idea. I only have it because it was take it or leave it with the Badlands Package that had numerous must-have things bundled in.

The only nice part is that you have a way to crack it open and have fresh air on a nice not-raining day. Or you can park it and crack it as long as no dust, rain, bird crap, leaves or other stuff is going to land there.

But this moonroof does not open very much. Maybe a 12" gap. No one is going to stand up through it. I have had other cars with a similar size glass and they slid all the way into the roof to open. Why this one goes up and back with the roof design is baffling. Since it goes up and out, that limits the roof rack use, or you have to make sure it stays closed. That is is you use the rack at all because having the moonroof lowers the load rating down to 100lb which includes the 30-50lbs of crossbars or baskets you put up there.

I think I opened it up one time, when we were out tracking the ISS flyover. Other than that, I have only opened the shade which makes a klunky rattle on some bumps that way.
Why would anyone get it on a Bronco Sport? Because it's an off road capable vehicle where you want the airflow and open feeling. It doesn't reduce any roof rack usage. I have my tent up top, and open the window without any issues. If you are going to get something custom made to sit lower, then yes it can interfere but that's with anything custom. And if you are using the roof rack I'm guessing you are actually going out somewhere where it's a nice to have. It's not necessary but the amount of negativity around them is unwarranted.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Because I got the BL/BL I have a moonroof, I wouldn't have ordered one if I had the choice but I find I actually kind of like it. I tend to leave the shade open and it really brightens up the interior. When we were in the North Carolina Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago the moonroof was open a lot. I'd like it more though if I can get the darn thing to stop squeaking, that is probably a trip to the Ford dealer.
Exactly what you said but mine doesn't squeak. I like it now. But I certainly don't require one. This may not be entirely accurate but I think having one kills some of the roof weight capacity. That's at least one negative.

Last edited:

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
How are you getting more sun in your eyes when it comes from the top? Not once have I ever closed it to stop me being blinded. Stopping the sun beating down on my head yes. Sun in my eyes no.
I dunno, I only know that it drove me crazy on my Civic. I'm tall and my head was very close to the ceiling. maybe the angle is different in a more boxy vehicle like the BS, or maybe it reflects weird off my glasses frames. ?‍♂ Same deal with my mother's old Eclipse. Hated it.

EAGLEBEAR

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 ford bronco, 2012 escape 21 bronco sport
great for photographing hot air balloons flying overhead. I agree with the other person that they are a better opening when the dogs are in the car
Sponsored