Domram96

Outer Banks
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’m wanting to get my OB lifted with a 2 in lift kit but as this is my first experience with lifting a vehicle I didn’t know if I needed new larger wheels and tires first or if I lift it first and then add on wheels and tires. Can anyone help me out?
Sponsored

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
I’m wanting to get my OB lifted with a 2 in lift kit but as this is my first experience with lifting a vehicle I didn’t know if I needed new larger wheels and tires first or if I lift it first and then add on wheels and tires. Can anyone help me out?
You can do either/or. Add the lift and run stock tires until you decide what rims/tires you want. Or guys have been putting up to 245’s on at stock ride height. If you wanna go bigger than that you might need the lift first.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
You can do either first. Most common up sized tires are 235/65/17 and 245/65/17. No need to get wider wheels but if you want get a 17x7.5 or 17x8

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape
I ordered a bronco sport badland and would like to know how big of tires I can put on before I have to get it lifted

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I ordered a bronco sport badland and would like to know how big of tires I can put on before I have to get it lifted
I keep saying this in multiple threads but, you don't need a lift to get bigger tires. A lift (at least the spacer lifts currently available for the BS) will not keep a larger tire from rubbing, unless you never fully articulate the suspension (mall crawler). The problem areas on the BS appear to be the front and back areas of the wheel well, based on posts where people are trimming affected areas because they went bigger than recommended with their tires.

29.5" appears to be the biggest diameter the BS can take without some modification (trimming). You can use this tool to determine a tire/wheel size that will fit that. The tire size that most are running that matches that 29.5" diameter is 245/65/17. Some claim to not have any rub with 245/70/17 but I think that just depends on the actual tire brand and model they have chose. Tire sizes are not exact but more of a general area. For example, the width number (245 in our case) can vary ±5mm. All the other dimensions also have similar variation from brand to brand and even model to model. Also some tires have a more "square" contact patch and others are more round. All of these things can affect the final fit of the tire. Again 245/65/17 seems to be the safe choice for a larger tire.

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape
I keep saying this in multiple threads but, you don't need a lift to get bigger tires. A lift (at least the spacer lifts currently available for the BS) will not keep a larger tire from rubbing, unless you never fully articulate the suspension (mall crawler). The problem areas on the BS appear to be the front and back areas of the wheel well, based on posts where people are trimming affected areas because they went bigger than recommended with their tires.

29.5" appears to be the biggest diameter the BS can take without some modification (trimming). You can use this tool to determine a tire/wheel size that will fit that. The tire size that most are running that matches that 29.5" diameter is 245/65/17. Some claim to not have any rub with 245/70/17 but I think that just depends on the actual tire brand and model they have chose. Tire sizes are not exact but more of a general area. For example, the width number (245 in our case) can vary ±5mm. All the other dimensions also have similar variation from brand to brand and even model to model. Also some tires have a more "square" contact patch and others are more round. All of these things can affect the final fit of the tire. Again 245/65/17 seems to be the safe choice for a larger tire.
Thank you sorry I missed your message from earlier so much on here

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you sorry I missed your message from earlier so much on here
No need to apologize. I’ll keep trying to explain this so that people don’t conflate lift kits with big tires. A lift kit is for ground clearance. Bigger tires give a little ground clearance but also more contact patch and taller sidewall for better traction off-road.

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape
No need to apologize. I’ll keep trying to explain this so that people don’t conflate lift kits with big tires. A lift kit is for ground clearance. Bigger tires give a little ground clearance but also more contact patch and taller sidewall for better traction off-road.
I think the bronco sport badland comes with a one inch lift and going to the bigger tires should give me enough ground clearance for what I need

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the bronco sport badland comes with a one inch lift and going to the bigger tires should give me enough ground clearance for what I need
Yes, the BL is about 1” higher. The 245/65/17 will add another .5” or so.

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape
Yes, the BL is about 1” higher. The 245/65/17 will add another .5” or so.
If you have 245/65/17 on would it rub if you have a heavy load in the back of the bronco looking at the tires I would use made by falken 235/65/17 is 28.1 dia I think the 245 is 29.? Don't remember you sound like you know the sizes better than me for it any thoughts on this

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have 245/65/17 on would it rub if you have a heavy load in the back of the bronco looking at the tires I would use made by falken 235/65/17 is 28.1 dia I think the 245 is 29.? Don't remember you sound like you know the sizes better than me for it any thoughts on this
From everything I’ve read here, 245/65/17 is safe for all suspension articulation. So yes, that size should be safe for a heavy load. BTW, the problem with rubbing comes first in the front because the wheels turn which causes them to get closer to the sheet metal. If the wheels are all straight, you could have a bigger tire. The problems with rubbing generally come when the suspension is compressed and the wheel is turned. Obviously there is a limit but hopefully you get that the front wheels are the real issue with bigger tires. I have not read any reports of 245/65/17 tires rubbing. Any tire bigger than that seems to get some mixed replies about rubbing or people have done trimming/modifying to address it.

Polish ghost

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford escape
Right
From everything I’ve read here, 245/65/17 is safe for all suspension articulation. So yes, that size should be safe for a heavy load. BTW, the problem with rubbing comes first in the front because the wheels turn which causes them to get closer to the sheet metal. If the wheels are all straight, you could have a bigger tire. The problems with rubbing generally come when the suspension is compressed and the wheel is turned. Obviously there is a limit but hopefully you get that the front wheels are the real issue with bigger tires. I have not read any reports of 245/65/17 tires rubbing. Any tire bigger than that seems to get some mixed replies about rubbing or people have done trimming/modifying to address it.
Right Forgot about the front tires now to decide thanks

CrazyKZ

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I was planning on getting a Rough Country 1.5" lift on my 2023 BadLands, but I just found out that RC doesn't make one for the Badlands. :( Has anyone done a lift for that trim? I do want to put on some Mickey Thompson 245/65 R17's, but was planning on lifting first. Now I'm at a stand-still.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Someone with experience with the RTR spacers. Need any change in links or brake lines? Other kits includes midified links...

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I was planning on getting a Rough Country 1.5" lift on my 2023 BadLands, but I just found out that RC doesn't make one for the Badlands. :( Has anyone done a lift for that trim? I do want to put on some Mickey Thompson 245/65 R17's, but was planning on lifting first. Now I'm at a stand-still.
I have those tires, you don’t need a lift for them! If you want to lift, the HRG off-road lift is highly regarded.
Sponsored