Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
As previously noted, I have 'dynamic honesty' about what I'm likely to do when the Good Idea Fairy comes a'callin'. What follows will be a combination Trip Report and Ownership Update, with some mileage and maintenance stats just to spice (?) things up.

Purchased a new 2023 B S Heritage on April 30th this year. One routine oil change/tire rotation courtesy of the dealership prior to this.

Three trips to the dealership to get the OEM crossbars installed. Comedy of errors. The bars are different between Badlands/First Editions and the unwashed masses. Mechanically disinclined oil change tech was tasked with the initial installation. They clearly didn't fit. He applied enough force to break the allen wrench. THEN went for help. Second iteration of the effort was ... the same wrong bars shipped in. I watched five or six techs and service reps orbiting the Sport in the service bay as they tried to figure it out. I let someone know - not for the first time - that there are two different parts. OK, third visit went fairly smoothly. We'll just leave that there.

I occasionally get the road trip itch. I haven't gone west, so this seemed like as good a time as any, although not as good a time as could be. It was chilly. Anyhow, 26 October load up and head to Gainesville to visit my son at UF. Next day hit the road in earnest to do some sightseeing heading westerly. Visited Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, then kinda skipped along to New Mexico. Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, CO, to Moab.

First excitement was on Willow Springs. One descent down a rock face left Panda Express teetering back and forth on diagonal wheels. Never having done THAT before, it was an arresting experience. There were other obstacles along the way, too. Got to see some dinosaur tracks and great scenery. Just other-worldly fantastic landscapes. I understand Georgia O'Keeffe a little better now. Camped at the highest point I could get to (Juniper Camp ground) on the way to Porcupine Rim. Camping was closed at Porcupine Rim.

I went back down Sand Flats Road to the park entrance and waited to see some people ascend Fins and Things. There wasn't a lot of action, so I started talking to the booth attendant. She said Baby Lion's Back, around the corner, was a good starting point. I nosed up, and it looked like the approach angle was ok, so I started up. I paused to see if the hitch would drag. No problem. Up I went. A little tire-squealing later and I was on top. If you haven't been there. it's a nice view. Then you get to the end of the short trail ... and it drops precipitously. I got out to look around and the first thought was "She set me up!" Sharp, steep, scary drop ahead. Oh, wait, there was a more manageable if nearly as frightening a drop more to the right. "Ok, I can do this." Creep down... creep down... wheels lock and slide out of control the final few feet into the mud puddle at the bottom. Mission Accomplished.

Go to Moab. See the amazing scenery. See the dinosaur tracks in different places. See the petroglyphs. Take on some of the off-roading. Hike, bike, float. It's all there. Some good food in town too.

Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Baby Lions Back
Baby Lions Back approach
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Near Dino Trax, Willow Spring Rd
Willow Creek by the dino trax

Baby Lions Back Ascent and Traverse
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) No, I didn't

No, I did not.
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Willow Spring Rd

Willow Creek Rd
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) After Action Physical

Final Checkup

Final video - one time the infotainment center shut off and restarted on its own. Then another time it came on and wouldn't shut off. Like it was possessed. And it was 10/31.

Return trip ran down to Las Cruces, Los Alamos, El Paso, Houston, New Orleans, Tallahassee and home.
Departing Odometer: 5490.9 (starting fill-up)
Ending Odometer: 10548.3 (ending fill-up)
Trip Odometer: 5007.2 in the driveway
Indicated MPG: 28.3
Calculated MPG: 26.55

Undercarriage exam at end = no damage at all. Mud flaps do drag and make a lot of noise, but didn't suffer any significant damage. I definitely impacted the Plastic Rock Rails (?) more than once and they suffered no damage either.

Final assessment - safe, comfortable (enough), reliable, efficient (ish). Capable of reasonably interesting off-road stuff, straight out of the box. I didn't even air down the tires at all. If anyone's worried about whether the 1.5 has the guts, it passes going uphill and keeps up with traffic at whatever speed I choose. It's not a Rubicon or a Mustang. It's a reasonable compromise that gets you (got me) everywhere I wanted to go, when I wanted to go there, and with good performance and mileage. Silly box on top and all. Safe travels!

25-Oct​
5490.9​
0​
Sebastian FL
87​
27-Oct​
5741.9​
10.138​
Gainesville
87​
28-Oct​
5904.2​
6.149​
Tifton Ga
87​
28-Oct​
6195.3​
10.733​
BrooksideAL
87​
29-Oct​
6428.9​
10.147​
West MemphisArkansas
87​
29-Oct​
6712.7​
11.358​
CherokeeOK
87​
29-Oct​
6850.8​
6.154​
ShawneeOK
87​
top up for cold night
30-Oct​
7050.6​
8.341​
ShamrockTX
91​
30-Oct​
7228.6​
7.224​
San JonNM
93​
30-Oct​
7420.9​
7.646​
Santa FeNM
91​
31-Oct​
7639.9​
7.194​
BayfieldCO
91​
1-Nov​
7814.3​
5.505​
MoabUT
89​
top up for day & camping
2-Nov​
8151.2​
11.023​
Pagosa SpringsCO
87​
3-Nov​
8443.6​
9.42​
CoronaNM
87​
4-Nov​
8675.1​
8.55​
Las CrucesNM
86​
4-Nov​
8963.4​
9.709​
Ft. StocktonTX
91​
5-Nov​
9221.7​
10.518​
KerrvilleTX
87​
6-Nov​
9533.8​
11.392​
AnahuacTX
89​
6-Nov​
9681.1​
5.711​
RayneLA
89​
6-Nov​
9855.8​
6.27​
WavelandMS
89​
7-Nov​
10185​
12.54​
TallahasseeFL
89​
7-Nov​
10548.3​
14.779​
SebastianFL
87​
End of trip
5,057.40​
190.501​
26.55​
MilesGallonsMPG
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's one helluva a road trip! That first climb looks like the ride up to the top of a roller coaster--yikes! Glad you got to see parts of the country you haven't seen before, and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's one helluva a road trip! That first climb looks like the ride up to the top of a roller coaster--yikes! Glad you got to see parts of the country you haven't seen before, and thanks for sharing.
Wish I had recorded the descent down Baby Lions Back, or the teetering on Willow Creek. But sometimes all your white knuckles need to be clamped on the wheel.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Great trip Bill! Moab is pretty awesome isn’t it. Did you get out to Schafer road or White Rim? Canyon lands is pretty awesome too.

Bronchette

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OB/17 Forester/90 Celica/98 Sierra/16 Silverado
Excellent!!!! Love this!! But coming from a vertically challenged individual: Oh hell no!!! I can barely see over the nose of mine, I can't EVEN imagine not being able to see nothing but blue sky until making it over the top! Whew!

Doc Junior

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Awesome post! I'm laying in a hospital bed recovering from surgery and it was like a got to ride Shotgun for at least a few fleeting moments. Thanks for the ride along and the inspiration to get mine out for some real adventure(after a bit more recovery time).

Uncle Buck

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Excellent!!!! Love this!! But coming from a vertically challenged individual: Oh hell no!!! I can barely see over the nose of mine, I can't EVEN imagine not being able to see nothing but blue sky until making it over the top! Whew!
The secret to dealing with that very real concern is a front camera. There are a couple of options including a Garmin that connects wirelessly to certain Garmin GPSs. The Badlands comes with the front camera for this very reason. If you are at all interested I would be glad to share what I have learned getting a camera running on the front of my Expedition.

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had the same issue until I took a Gladiator with a trail cam down some gnarly ledge trails and realized how much more confident it made me. Better living through technology I suppose.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
As previously noted, I have 'dynamic honesty' about what I'm likely to do when the Good Idea Fairy comes a'callin'. What follows will be a combination Trip Report and Ownership Update, with some mileage and maintenance stats just to spice (?) things up.
Purchased a new 2023 B S Heritage on April 30th this year. One routine oil change/tire rotation courtesy of the dealership prior to this.
Three trips to the dealership to get the OEM crossbars installed. Comedy of errors. The bars are different between Badlands/First Editions and the unwashed masses. Mechanically disinclined oil change tech was tasked with the initial installation. They clearly didn't fit. He applied enough force to break the allen wrench. THEN went for help. Second iteration of the effort was ... the same wrong bars shipped in. I watched five or six techs and service reps orbiting the Sport in the service bay as they tried to figure it out. I let someone know - not for the first time - that there are two different parts. OK, third visit went fairly smoothly. We'll just leave that there.
I occasionally get the road trip itch. I haven't gone west, so this seemed like as good a time as any, although not as good a time as could be. It was chilly. Anyhow, 26 October load up and head to Gainesville to visit my son at UF. Next day hit the road in earnest to do some sightseeing heading westerly. Visited Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, then kinda skipped along to New Mexico. Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, CO, to Moab.
First excitement was on Willow Springs. One descent down a rock face left Panda Express teetering back and forth on diagonal wheels. Never having done THAT before, it was an arresting experience. There were other obstacles along the way, too. Got to see some dinosaur tracks and great scenery. Just other-worldly fantastic landscapes. I understand Georgia O'Keeffe a little better now. Camped at the highest point I could get to (Juniper Camp ground) on the way to Porcupine Rim. Camping was closed at Porcupine Rim.
I went back down Sand Flats Road to the park entrance and waited to see some people ascend Fins and Things. There wasn't a lot of action, so I started talking to the booth attendant. She said Baby Lion's Back, around the corner, was a good starting point. I nosed up, and it looked like the approach angle was ok, so I started up. I paused to see if the hitch would drag. No problem. Up I went. A little tire-squealing later and I was on top. If you haven't been there. it's a nice view. Then you get to the end of the short trail ... and it drops precipitously. I got out to look around and the first thought was "She set me up!" Sharp, steep, scary drop ahead. Oh, wait, there was a more manageable if nearly as frightening a drop more to the right. "Ok, I can do this." Creep down... creep down... wheels lock and slide out of control the final few feet into the mud puddle at the bottom. Mission Accomplished.
Go to Moab. See the amazing scenery. See the dinosaur tracks in different places. See the petroglyphs. Take on some of the off-roading. Hike, bike, float. It's all there. Some good food in town too.
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Baby Lions Back
Baby Lions Back approach
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Near Dino Trax, Willow Spring Rd
Willow Creek by the dino trax

Baby Lions Back Ascent and Traverse
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) No, I didn't

No, I did not.
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) Willow Spring Rd

Willow Creek Rd
Ford Bronco Sport Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics - A Moab trip and ownership summary (Bronco Sport Heritage) After Action Physical

Final Checkup

Final video - one time the infotainment center shut off and restarted on its own. Then another time it came on and wouldn't shut off. Like it was possessed. And it was 10/31.

Return trip ran down to Las Cruces, Los Alamos, El Paso, Houston, New Orleans, Tallahassee and home.
Departing Odometer: 5490.9 (starting fill-up)
Ending Odometer: 10548.3 (ending fill-up)
Trip Odometer: 5007.2 in the driveway
Indicated MPG: 28.3
Calculated MPG: 26.55

Undercarriage exam at end = no damage at all. Mud flaps do drag and make a lot of noise, but didn't suffer any significant damage. I definitely impacted the Plastic Rock Rails (?) more than once and they suffered no damage either.

Final assessment - safe, comfortable (enough), reliable, efficient (ish). Capable of reasonably interesting off-road stuff, straight out of the box. I didn't even air down the tires at all. If anyone's worried about whether the 1.5 has the guts, it passes going uphill and keeps up with traffic at whatever speed I choose. It's not a Rubicon or a Mustang. It's a reasonable compromise that gets you (got me) everywhere I wanted to go, when I wanted to go there, and with good performance and mileage. Silly box on top and all. Safe travels!

25-Oct​
5490.9​
0​
Sebastian FL
87​
27-Oct​
5741.9​
10.138​
Gainesville
87​
28-Oct​
5904.2​
6.149​
Tifton Ga
87​
28-Oct​
6195.3​
10.733​
BrooksideAL
87​
29-Oct​
6428.9​
10.147​
West MemphisArkansas
87​
29-Oct​
6712.7​
11.358​
CherokeeOK
87​
29-Oct​
6850.8​
6.154​
ShawneeOK
87​
top up for cold night
30-Oct​
7050.6​
8.341​
ShamrockTX
91​
30-Oct​
7228.6​
7.224​
San JonNM
93​
30-Oct​
7420.9​
7.646​
Santa FeNM
91​
31-Oct​
7639.9​
7.194​
BayfieldCO
91​
1-Nov​
7814.3​
5.505​
MoabUT
89​
top up for day & camping
2-Nov​
8151.2​
11.023​
Pagosa SpringsCO
87​
3-Nov​
8443.6​
9.42​
CoronaNM
87​
4-Nov​
8675.1​
8.55​
Las CrucesNM
86​
4-Nov​
8963.4​
9.709​
Ft. StocktonTX
91​
5-Nov​
9221.7​
10.518​
KerrvilleTX
87​
6-Nov​
9533.8​
11.392​
AnahuacTX
89​
6-Nov​
9681.1​
5.711​
RayneLA
89​
6-Nov​
9855.8​
6.27​
WavelandMS
89​
7-Nov​
10185​
12.54​
TallahasseeFL
89​
7-Nov​
10548.3​
14.779​
SebastianFL
87​
End of trip
5,057.40​
190.501​
26.55​
MilesGallonsMPG
Your observed and actual MPG's are very consistent with my 2021 Badlands. Every fill up, regardless of the type of driving I do, is always around 1.6 or 1.7 MPG less than what's displayed.

Bronchette

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OB/17 Forester/90 Celica/98 Sierra/16 Silverado
The secret to dealing with that very real concern is a front camera. There are a couple of options including a Garmin that connects wirelessly to certain Garmin GPSs. The Badlands comes with the front camera for this very reason. If you are at all interested I would be glad to share what I have learned getting a camera running on the front of my Expedition.
Oh, I never even thought of that! That's a great suggestion!

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome post! I'm laying in a hospital bed recovering from surgery and it was like a got to ride Shotgun for at least a few fleeting moments. Thanks for the ride along and the inspiration to get mine out for some real adventure(after a bit more recovery time).
You're very welcome! The best feedback is that the effort was at least a little entertaining!

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great trip Bill! Moab is pretty awesome isn’t it. Did you get out to Schafer road or White Rim? Canyon lands is pretty awesome too.
I didn't hit either of those, no. If it had been just a little warmer, just a couple of weeks earlier in the year, I would have stayed and done a lot more sightseeing. As it was, I got to scratch the surface of all the greatness that is Moab. Without scratching up the Panda Express.
I'll get back out there at a better time of year and/or better prepared for the cold. And maybe take the mud flaps off.
Sponsored