Leaked info on Bronco's technology: Off-Road Navigation, Adventure Capture, Real-Time Tire Pressure

Jalisurr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution, '09 Corvette Z06, '08 ZX-6R
Leaked details on Ford’s 2020 Bronco

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/29/leaked-details-on-fords-2020-bronco

Details on Ford’s 2020 Bronco have been sparse, but information often trickles out about the automaker’s upcoming products from third-party companies working alongside Ford. According to the profile for an engineer at a consultancy firm, one which appears to be working with Ford on the new Bronco, the truck will be equipped with a variety of advanced off-road features including the following: Off-Road Navigation, Adventure Capture, Convoy Communications, Real-Time Tire Pressure Monitoring, Rear Seat Occupant Alert, and On-Board Scales.

Off-Road Navigation is not a surprising feature, since Ford has already deployed the system overseas on the Ranger Raptor. According to Ford Europe, the feature works by leaving “digital breadcrumbs” in the navigation system so that drivers can find their way back after leaving the beaten path. On the Ranger Raptor, the system drops a virtual pin on the map every second, producing a pretty detailed log.

Adventure Capture sounds like a data recorder application—possibly an off-road version of some of the race track performance data recorders currently on the market. It’s likely this system captures video from built-in cameras and overlays data such as pitch and roll for each video clip.

Convoy Communications is likely an application that allows for communication between Broncos that might be traveling together. There could be some sort of radio link between the trucks, but our bet is that the system will be integrated either through the infotainment system or via the Ford Pass app.

Real-time Tire Pressure Monitoring is fairly self-explanatory; however, it’s important to note that immediate updates would go beyond the standard tire pressure monitoring systems available on new cars. This system would be of great benefit off-road, where quickly diagnosing a deflating tire could mean the difference between a mild inconvenience or a more permanent camping trip.

Rear Seat Occupant Alert is slowly spreading across new cars and is a way to make sure that children are not left in the rear seat when the driver departs the car.

On-Board Scales, on the other hand, are fairly unusual when it comes to passenger vehicles; they are mostly relegated to large commercial vehicles that need to abide by weight limits on highways. At this time, we’re mystified as to why or how a Bronco driver would implement such a feature—maybe there’s an application during setup or perhaps off-road.

Based on this small leak of features, it sounds like Ford is preparing the Bronco for serious off-road duty and wants owners to be able to capture their off-road adventures. We have reached out to Ford to confirm these features, but a representative stated they do not comment on speculation about future products.
These all sound good to me (except I don't care about the rear-seat alert thing). Built in data recorders are cool, I love the ones in the new corvettes for getting video of track days so a similar thing in the Bronco would be neat.

Also some detail on Sync 4 has been released today:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29630228/2020-ford-sync-4-infotainment-digital-updates/
https://jalopnik.com/fords-new-sync-4-infotainment-system-offers-giant-15-5-1839464456

Sounds like we can expect wireless carplay and some other new features in the Bronco, it'll almost undoubtedly get this system I would think.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Midnight Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Accord
“Rear Seat Occupant Alert is slowly spreading across new cars and is a way to make sure that children are not left in the rear seat when the driver departs the car.”

What? Really? If you can’t remember that your child is in the backseat, you should give up parenting and probably quit life entirely.

JimmyDean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
“Rear Seat Occupant Alert is slowly spreading across new cars and is a way to make sure that children are not left in the rear seat when the driver departs the car.”

What? Really? If you can’t remember that your child is in the backseat, you should give up parenting and probably quit life entirely.
Sometimes I wish there was a dislike or downvote button here. Accidents can and have happened, especially in the extremely busy and stressful life that exists in todays workforce.

bbostic5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord, '08 Civic, '93 FD
Sometimes I wish there was a dislike or downvote button here. Accidents can and have happened, especially in the extremely busy and stressful life that exists in todays workforce.

Since there is no such button, I'll leave you with this. Go fuck yourself.
I wish I could down vote this.

kdm_42089

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dart
I wish I could down vote this.
Yeah, as someone with 4 kids, who routinely works 70+ hours a week, and drives 2.5 more hours a day, while getting 4-5 hours of sleep.. if you forget your kids, you're a P.O.S.

That's all. Good tech for stupid parents.

mikonrad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, 1979 Ford F-150, 2002 Yamaha RS Warrior
I just think it’s haggerdy not being very good, source could be legit.

The off-road communication interests me most. Built in CB radio would be fucking sweet!
This would be great! We currently default to cheap 2-way options when travelling. I currently going after HAM licensure but would be great to have this integration as a fallback option.

Carolina Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
If you can keep this stuff turned off AND these functions don't clutter up the dash like a Boeing 737 MAX I don't care. But I'm just looking to buy a vehicle - not a Guardian Angel.

TECH doesn't have to be integrated into ALL aspects of life. One day there will probably be a La-B-boy recliner that can also give you a colonoscopy...I won't want that either.

kdm_42089

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dart

Midnight Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Accord