Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have to qualify something I said in my previous post. Increased intake air temp ahead of the turbo CAN have an effect on power output, but a CAI would have to significantly reduce intake air temp vs the stock system, and that's where my skepticism comes in. The effects of intake air temperature on power output is not new science. Go take a look at the intake system under the hood of your car. Trace the duct from the air filter box to where the air enters it and you'll see it's at the grill. If--and that's a big if--a CAI designer somehow finds a way improve on the stock system I don't see how it can possibly be enough of a difference to significantly increase horsepower.

I owned an EcoBoost Mustang for several years, and a lot of different vendors tried to improve on the stock intake system. Not only were the CAI systems unable to better the stock system, the stock, paper air filter proved better as well. This was before and after dyno testing.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
The primary benefit of a cold air intake is to lower the temperature of intake air to increase air density. More dense air means more oxygen gets into the cylinder for combustion. More oxygen means more power. A turbocharger increases combustion oxygen by compressing the intake air. The amount of oxygen added to combustion by turbocharging far, far exceeds any possible gain from a CAI. Further, turbocharging adds heat--far more heat than the temp reduction obtainable by using a CAI. In other words, the small amount of intake air cooling offered by the CAI is completely negated by the massive heat added by compression. Compression heat is extracted from the intake air with the intercooler. It seems to me if you want to significantly reduce intake temps you have to upgrade the intercooler.

I'm not aware of any independently verified horsepower increase on a turbocharged engine attributable to a CAI. If anyone has such data please share; I'd love to see it.
I'm going to guess any extra HP is coming from increased airflow as opposed to the cooler air coming in.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
So, I will get 8.5 Hp @ 5,000 RPM. Per K&N.
My BS shifts @2,800 RPM most all the time. This 8.5 HP @ 4998 RPM, will happen for me about 25% of the time.
I guess that means I’d get an extra 5.5 HP when I’m shifting at 2.8k rpm. And following that math I’d get an extra 3 HP when I shifting at 2400 Rpm and less than ONE HP when I’m climbing my gravel roads at 2,000 rpm.
Not sure I’d feel any gain at all.
But If I was on the Interstate and need high speed power I truly believe my down shifting automatic with its eight gears would’ve been plenty.
I’d get one for the cool look factor Or if I pulled a trailer or had roof top gear with wind resistance.
Cold air ? This confuses me. The stock intake port with the closed in box gets cold or ambient temp air from outside the engine bay up front. Cold air intake as is.
The K&N unit gets engine bay air trapped under the hood and when moving any air finding its way to the air filter is warmed up by flowing around the hot engine right ?
Sorry, my ADHD brain kicked in.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to guess any extra HP is coming from increased airflow as opposed to the cooler air coming in.
K&N filters have been shown to flow more air than standard paper filters, but the question is does that matter? For a higher-flow filter to matter would require two things: a) a restriction in the stock system that can be improved upon, and b) the turbocharger can take advantage of more air flow.

Based on my experience with the EcoBoost Mustang I'm skeptical.

The other consideration with K&N filters is they are not as effective at doing the primary job of an air filter, which is to prevent particulates from entering the engine via the intake. The video below is a quantitative comparison between different filter types. If you don't want to watch all the stuff about performance improvement fast forward to 9 minutes for the section on filtration efficiency.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“K&N filters have been shown to flow more air than standard paper filters, but the question is does that matter?”
Ok so follow me on this….
My air/fuel intake/mix/ratios are controlled by the ECM for optimal power and or efficiency as determined by the fuel maps.
My serviceable stock filter gives the full useable range of air volume the fuel mapping system can use.
Still with me peoples ?
Ok In goes a super duper high air flow filter that can let more air in.
Remember the ECM ? It will simply close the air gate until it dials back to that proper best performance Fuel/Air ratio that is determined by the fuel mapping…
SO !
Tell me again why the K&N is worth the money without remapping the fuel systems ?
In my 2008 EFI Harley Roadster I had to re tune the thing to get any benefit from the K&N.
I say the $400 cold air, cough cough, thing will do absolutely nothing without another thousand in retuning the fuel system that was developed over extensive testing by Ford R&D.
But I used to flip the air breather cover over back in the carb days, thinking my engine had more power. It sounded like it had more power, But alas I was young and thought louder was faster……

Ozzy1275

Outer Banks
First Name
Osvaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I might end up buying it just to see if it adds more turbo noise, an intake alone won't make enough change power wise. It'll also add some dress up for the engine. This also means that we will end up see other companies start coming out with the own version so it might just be a few weeks before we see something cheaper. The k&n filter is what counts the tubing not really in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: jjc

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
But I used to flip the air breather cover over back in the carb days, thinking my engine had more power. It sounded like it had more power, But alas I was young and thought louder was faster……
LOL, I used to do that on my Mom's 1959 Oldsmobile. Sounded like it could suck the paint right off the hood. :)

Had a CAI on my 14 Mustang for a short while. It looked cool, but all it did was pre-heat & raise the Inlet Air Temp. Took it off.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might end up buying it just to see if it adds more turbo noise, an intake alone won't make enough change power wise. It'll also add some dress up for the engine. This also means that we will end up see other companies start coming out with the own version so it might just be a few weeks before we see something cheaper. The k&n filter is what counts the tubing not really in my opinion.
I bet you will hear more turbo sound.
If you go off road much you will need to service that filer more.
That has to be done very carefully, Just a little too much oil in one spot and you’ll need a $125 throttle body cleaning. Just a little too little and sand particles can pass right through that delicate filter gauze. Your turbo will suffer.
I used the K&N and took one single filter past its max service life of 300,000 miles.
It failed at 320,000 miles, and I mean failed. My WOT at 4,000 rpm let me maintain 40 mph.
(WOT) is wide open throttle btw.
I made it to an auto parts store and popped in a new paper filter. Got my full power back as soon as I burned the soot off my spark plugs.
Cleanings, recharges happen at 50,000 mile intervals. The K&N flows more air when it’s 50% clogged than a new stock air filter.
Back to business.
I ever so slightly over oiled it on my first 50k mile service.
That cost me $125 for a throttle body service.
I got it right every time after that,
Live and learn.
The $20 recharge kit cleans it twice. Use the kit with the spray oil, not the squeeze bottle.
Over my 320,000 mile service life that single K&N and the three recharge kits Cost me $120.
If I’d run paper filters that would have cost me $300 so yes a little saving but not much for the average car owner that goes 100k and trades cars.
All steps in the recharge process are critical. About four hours to complete with 3 & 1/2 hours being the air drying phase.
Last thing to consider,
Driving in wet conditions with an open box air breather, It’s a risk I personally would not take.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That has to be done very carefully, Just a little too much oil in one spot and you’ll need a $125 throttle body cleaning. Just a little too little and sand particles can pass right through that delicate filter gauze. Your turbo will suffer.
Even if you service it perfectly it still doesn't filter as well as a paper filter. There's a reason K&N filters flow more air: the microscopic holes that allow air to pass are larger, which means more and larger particulates can pass through them.
Sponsored