fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I'll pass , looks like a water scoop . :crazy: an expensive one art that . K&N make some great filters , I have used them on just about every car, Truck, HD I have owned , but sticking with the stock set up on the BS .

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
OP
OP

andyj82294

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I want to love it, but I don't know. for 40 dollars you can get a filter (I have installed) 5 hp rating increase. this is supposed to give 8.5 hp and some torque, a link to the spec sheet is on the website. Not sure if I can justify. In the end it won't give you a substantially noticeable increase

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Okay dumb question...how much benefit would a CAI have on a turbo engine?
Not a dumb question. I'm sure this is going to ruffle some feathers, but the answer is probably little to none. It won't be long before the AutoZone parts junkies repel from the forum ceilings and set me on fire for besmirching the precious CAI, because they put one on their Dodge Neon and it gained 25 HP, but oh well.

Many moons ago, I put a CAI on my 2006 VW GTI. At one point I collected a bunch of data from it. Among the things I measured was charge air temps post-intercooler in both CAI and OEM airbox configs. Numerous datasets we're collected for each config, back to back in aggressive pulls on the same stretch of road in the same direction on the same day after the engine oil reached operating temp.

The result? Air temps were indistinguishable between configs. Granted I only tried the one car I had access to, but it's still a data-driven result, which is way more than the vast majority of claims you see where someone installed a CAI and their butt dyno showed mad gains. So that was the last car I put a CAI on.

Side note: K&N air filters provide less resistance, and will theoretically give a tiny bump in oompf. But air isn't the only thing they offer less resistance to...

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I know they don't add a ton of oompf, but on a naturally aspirated engine it makes some sense as you get a cleaner burn for more HP, but my thought with a turbo is since it's essentially a two stage engine (primary combustion as well as hot exhaust for the turbo) so the cooler air has even less of an impact and maybe some unburned fumes adds some oompf in that turbo...but I'm not a gear head so I'm kinda talking outta my A

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Having just come from a twin turbo V6 with 365hp stock, my experience is that air temperature makes a BIG different in performance. That being said, I'm not sure how much a CAI affects that. Outside ambient air temperature seemed to have more impact.

I purposely chose components - AEM intakes, Stillen exhaust - that Kia markets as their "400hp package." Still, I think the biggest difference this made was to sound. The exhaust note was deeper but not ridiculous. The intake and blowoff sounds were PROMINENT. Perhaps the more noticeable sound from the stock BOVs indicates better air pressure but I can't say for sure. I never dyno'd before or after.

One thing I can say for sure is that the Eibach front and read sway bars were a dramatic upgrade to the Stinger's handling. I would do that in a heartbeat on a performance car.

AltoBlue Broncie

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Sport
Okay dumb question...how much benefit would a CAI have on a turbo engine?
It’s not. Just going to get heated up again in the turbo. Then cooled at the intercooler. Any gains are from the filter and piping being bigger/smoother.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The primary benefit of a cold air intake is to lower the temperature of intake air to increase air density. More dense air means more oxygen gets into the cylinder for combustion. More oxygen means more power. A turbocharger increases combustion oxygen by compressing the intake air. The amount of oxygen added to combustion by turbocharging far, far exceeds any possible gain from a CAI. Further, turbocharging adds heat--far more heat than the temp reduction obtainable by using a CAI. In other words, the small amount of intake air cooling offered by the CAI is completely negated by the massive heat added by compression. Compression heat is extracted from the intake air with the intercooler. It seems to me if you want to significantly reduce intake temps you have to upgrade the intercooler.

I'm not aware of any independently verified horsepower increase on a turbocharged engine attributable to a CAI. If anyone has such data please share; I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
I have a twin turbo diesel, had a 5” straight pipe from turbo to exhaust. I had issues with the factory intake, replaced it and what a world of difference. I know in a diesel it does make more hp and torque. Don’t know much with gas this is my first gas turbo charged vehicle.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
On the rodent level, I have to constantly check the air filter in my Rogue as is seems mice like to make a nest in my air intake using the paper from the filter. The big ol' K&N cold air intake in my F250 has never been touched by these annoying little mammals.

If the price comes down, I might be interested in such an upgrade if it helps keep the rodents from doing the same to the Baby Bronco.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
this also looks like an SRI - short ram intake. A true cold air intake would take intake air from somewhere other than the engine bay. otherwise you are just pulling in hot air even more so.
i'm one for being a cold air intake fanboy. my background is more honda civic, and CAI can make substantial gains ... IF ... you tune the ecu for it. tuning is a huge part of bolt on parts to make them work to full potential.
so without an abundance of tuning software, and other parts such as a high flow catted / non-catted downpipe, it's not really worth it imo.
however, i'd still like to see some real world testing with this K&N unit.
Sponsored