Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That’s weird I’ve never had an issue. I have one on my 19 ram 1500 and every time filter is due for cleaning I never see any kind of dust inside the intake and I live in the desert.
TNSTAAFL. The only way to significantly increase air flow is to decrease filtration efficiency. K&N filters allow more/larger particles to get to the engine. Enough to affect reliability or durability? That's an unknown. I can tell you that the compressor turbine spins +100k RPM under boost, so everything that impacta it will cause wear.

Given the lack of data regarding real-world performance improvement for this particular engine, I'm not taking the risk to find out. If someone does before & after Dyno testing showing an actual performance improvement I might change my mind.

This is not an issue on race engines that only must last the duration of the race, which is why they use these types of filters. It probably won't be an issue on your engines either assuming you don't plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off. But I don't like words like probably when it comes to reliability of my engine.
Sponsored

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
TNSTAAFL. The only way to significantly increase air flow is to decrease filtration efficiency. K&N filters allow more/larger particles to get to the engine. Enough to affect reliability or durability? That's an unknown. I can tell you that the compressor turbine spins +100k RPM under boost, so everything that impacta it will cause wear.

Given the lack of data regarding real-world performance improvement for this particular engine, I'm not taking the risk to find out. If someone does before & after Dyno testing showing an actual performance improvement I might change my mind.

This is not an issue on race engines that only must last the duration of the race, which is why they use these types of filters. It probably won't be an issue on your engines either assuming you don't plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off. But I don't like words like probably when it comes to reliability of my engine.
Well said... coupled with the fact that... even if you remove the filter completely, the engine only takes in the amount of air it needs based on the computer program in operation, with the possible exception of FULL THROTTLE, as apposed to normal driving.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
…even if you remove the filter completely, the engine only takes in the amount of air it needs based on the computer program in operation…
This is the primary reason for my skepticism about power increases. The only acceptable proof (for me) would be before/after dyno testing—same day, same conditions—to eliminate all other factors. Tests conducted by the manufacturer or a reseller don’t count.

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
I went ahead I replaced the airfilter already. Its just something I like replacing on all my vehicles. For $58 with shipping its a why not type of mod. Driving to work after I installed it right away I was able to hear and feel a smoother acceleration. This is a drop in not a cold air or anything. It will not void the vehicles warranty as advertised

Part number is 33-3131
This will fit both 1.5 and 2.0L (also escape and focus IV)

I got mine at amazon

Ford Bronco Sport K&N Air Filter IMG_20210203_211043_942

THAANK YOU!!!

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
K&N are the best, hands down. In ND cleaning them in the winter is a hassle. I don't have running water in the garage. The filters don't get terribly dirty in the winter, but it comes after/during harvest which is a dirty operation requiring clean that can and does occur in the winter.

If you go to a dealer/service garage for service your K&N will NOT get cleaned. If your not careful or get a new mechanic your K&N can also get replaced with a paper filter if you are not observant.

That's the only issue I have with K&N.

Pfft, i had a camaro years ago that shit happened to me! dude didnt even say anything!

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
This is an old thread but can confirm I did the same when I first got my FE BS and haven't looked back since! Put the sticker on the top of the air filter enclosure so the dealership doesn't try to swap it out.

Install was super smooth and took like 5 minutes - simple drop-in.

what sticker?

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
This is the primary reason for my skepticism about power increases. The only acceptable proof (for me) would be before/after dyno testing—same day, same conditions—to eliminate all other factors. Tests conducted by the manufacturer or a reseller don’t count.
K&N filters only have a power increase at 5K+ RPMs. Other than that, nothing. I'll stick with regular filters.
More air = more dirt.