Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Eric, If you scan it and send me the stl file, I'll print it out of dark gray ABS for you to test.
When I actually have a BS I might take you up on that.
Sponsored

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
I see an opportunity for someone to 3D print inserts that hold the phone in the right location on the charging pad. It would only need to be about 1/2 the thickness of the phone. Of course there are a lot of variables for phone model and then the cases that everyone throws on. I'm still about 6 weeks from having a BS but I do have a 3D scanner that would give a decent model of the charging area. I don't have a 3D printer but I could use one at work if I buy my own material of course.
Its for the full size Bronco but this would be great!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/how-to-magsafe-wireless-charger-install-in-factory-location-diy.32069/

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
The only difference between Qi and MagSafe is the magnet and metal ring for the magnet. MagSafe is Qi with an extra feature. Trying to say that MagSafe is not Qi compatible is insanity. You can put a MagSafe phone on a Qi charger and it will charge. You can lay a Qi phone on a MagSafe charger and it will charge.
I realize I'm replying to a very old post, I'm going to get a bit semantic on a couple of points above. MagSafe devices will charge with Qi chargers, and vice versa, but it isn't 100% 1:1.
  1. One of the key advantages of a Magsafe charger is not just that the magnets hold it in place so it doesn't move (and on an angled mount, held/aligned in a direction), it's that the magnets allow the inductive charging coils to be optimally aligned, which allows for a better charge rate. Apple Insider found that a Magsafe charger was 30 minutes faster than a Qi charger of the same wattage for that reason. Efficiency affects both charging rate and the excess heat generated when it isn't efficient (which isn't great for the battery of your device). The charging mat solution by Ford et al doesn't ensure optimal alignment for the best charging rate/less waste heat.
  2. In terms of charging speed, Apple restricts the charging rate of devices not certified for Magsafe. Specifically on the iPhone, Apple devices will only accept 7.5w from an uncertified device. Many aftermarket "magsafe compatible" car mount chargers on sites such as Amazon will brag about charging rates of 15W, but in reality, the iPhone will only take 7.5W of that (an Android device might take 15W wirelessly - the pixel series takes 12W max from non-Pixel certified Qi chargers, the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra will take 15W via Qi). In order to get a 15W charge rate on an iPhone, you have to either have a mount that has a sticker to adhere a genuine MagSafe USB-C puck from Apple, or you buy the sole MagSafe certified 15W mount from Belkin for $99.99 USD.

Dawson

First Edition
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Has anyone had issues with the wireless charger in their BS? The wireless charging works, but the notification saying "wireless charging activated" pops up every minute or so while charging. I have an iPhone 12 and read somewhere that it could be interference caused by the magsafe/magsafe case but not sure.
Ok so, today I went and had some work done under warranty for my BS. They have a update out now for your wireless charging pad. It fixes the issue that a lot of us were having with the pad disconnecting from our newer phones for no good reason. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max with a standard leather apple case and had the same issue. When I went in I asked about it and they updated the pad in the system along with the other work under warranty. I recommend doing this ASAP as it immediately fixed my issue. Make sure you cases are compatible as well and you don’t have anything attached to the back:)

B5G4B

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BRONCO SPORT
Ok so, today I went and had some work done under warranty for my BS. They have a update out now for your wireless charging pad. It fixes the issue that a lot of us were having with the pad disconnecting from our newer phones for no good reason. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max with a standard leather apple case and had the same issue. When I went in I asked about it and they updated the pad in the system along with the other work under warranty. I recommend doing this ASAP as it immediately fixed my issue. Make sure you cases are compatible as well and you don’t have anything attached to the back:)
OK this is pretty big news.

So did they install a new part?

Dawson

First Edition
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nope, the part is fine. It is a software issue that is causing a malfunction between the MagSafe on a new iPhone and the charger. For some reason the old software just doesn’t agree with it.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Nope, the part is fine. It is a software issue that is causing a malfunction between the MagSafe on a new iPhone and the charger. For some reason the old software just doesn’t agree with it.
Any more info on your work order from the dealership? Like what software or which module needed to be updated?

Dawson

First Edition
First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don’t know exaclty, but I’d assume the main computer needed it. The dealership just said that an updated was needed for that specifically when I asked about it.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands