Is this 4WD false advertisement from ford?? Check out the picture..

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
“A transfer case to lock the front and rear diffs together". Manually operated, part-time, limited traction use only."

For my planned usage, sand, this is my definition. It is why I opted for the Badlands trim level as it provides me with the level of confidence I need for my off road driving.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What would you say is an accurate definition of 4WD?
4WD/AWD: A system that can apply engine power (torque) to all four wheels of a four-wheeled conveyance. Control may be electrical or mechanical. Power transfer system may include gears, clutches, liquid couplings, or all three. Power may be applied to all four wheels individually and/or simultaneously, depending on intended use, and system design and implementation. Buyers should ensure a given system implementation meets their use needs.

Last edited:

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Most people in the industry say that traditional "4-wheell drive" has a transfer case, low range gearing, and locking hubs (either manual or automatic).
That's what you actually said above. None of which matters unless you are talking to a marketing manager or someone who has never really gone off road. Low range and locking hubs have nothing to do with anything. What matters is getting power to the wheels that need it.

I have a '70 Bronco with lockers in the front and rear differentials. So I suppose I have a true 4x4, modified to fit my needs. But ground clearance aside, my '22 BS BL exceeds the capability of the '70 Bronco in stock form. The ability of power transfer is the key. The ability to split power front-to-rear and apply that power where appropriate is most important, now matter what mechanism is used.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Most people in the industry say that traditional "4-wheell drive" has a transfer case, low range gearing, and locking hubs (either manual or automatic).
As a side note, I am curious. Who, other than Ford, has offered locking hubs in the last 20-30 years? Does Jeep still do this? Toyota?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
As a side note, I am curious. Who, other than Ford, has offered locking hubs in the last 20-30 years? Does Jeep still do this? Toyota?
My '16 F150 locks unlocks front hubs via vacuum line. No vacuum hub is locked. Vacuum hub is unlocked. So if vacuum malfunctions defaults to locked. When unlocked front wheel free spins without axle shaft and front drive shaft spinning.

Without unlocking hubs axle and drive shaft would always spin reducing fuel economy and increased wear which is unexceptable to consumers. So all the 1/2 ton and up trucks have a mechanism to lock unlock hubs.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Interesting about defaulting to locked. I had three Wranglers in the past month have their shift linkages break while on the beach. I guess it is spring loaded and when it breaks the Jeeps shift back to 2WD. I’m not sure which years, all 201n vintage.

Kind of awkward when you are miles from a paved road. To their credit, we learned that if we got them turned around towards the exit and lowered the tires to 10# they could actually drive off.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Interesting about defaulting to locked.
There have been cases where one vacuum line on F150 leaks air and hub defaults to locked and truck steering will pull to that side cause one front hub is locked and one is not. So I guess Ford decided default to locked so if no vacuum to front hubs at least 4WD will still work.

My old '95 F150 had auto locking front hubs that would engage when axle shaft turned and disengage if axle shaft stopped turning and truck backs up in reverse. In order for those old style auto locking hubs to work a Traction Lok diff in the front was required. That old '95 also had Traction Lok rear diff so it had exceptional traction on icy winter roads deep snow ect it was a beast nearly unstopable.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
My '16 F150 locks unlocks front hubs via vacuum line. No vacuum hub is locked. Vacuum hub is unlocked. So if vacuum malfunctions defaults to locked. When unlocked front wheel free spins without axle shaft and front drive shaft spinning.

Without unlocking hubs axle and drive shaft would always spin reducing fuel economy and increased wear which is unexceptable to consumers. So all the 1/2 ton and up trucks have a mechanism to lock unlock hubs.
My '06 SuperDuty has vacuum hubs also but has the ability to manually lock as well, so Auto or Lock. My '06 Dodge did not have hubs, nor any means of disconnect. Not sure if that is still true on the newer Rams.