Is this 4WD false advertisement from ford?? Check out the picture..

Ramseyi

Badlands
First Name
Ramsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I've been watching my intelligent 4wd system in my bronco and majority of the wheel that is turning its the front wheel, I would say 90% of the time. Then when Im on stop light and accelerate that's when the 4 wheel works at the same. And obviously when I lock/press my 4wd mode powers all 4 wheels. What are your opinions on this?
Ford Bronco Sport Is this 4WD false advertisement from ford?? Check out the picture.. 20220125_135101
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
It disconnects power to rear wheels to increase fuel economy. Working as designed.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Why would that be false advertisement?

OP
OP

Ramseyi

Badlands
First Name
Ramsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Why would that be false advertisement?
the system disperses power to all four wheels to help add traction and minimize wheelslip when the going get tough. Ford website about 4x4. To be honest with you im very new to this 4wd and majority car I own are rear wheel drive.

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
the system disperses power to all four wheels to help add traction and minimize wheelslip when the going get tough. Ford website about 4x4. To be honest with you im very new to this 4wd and majority car I own are rear wheel drive.
It has the ABILITY to direct power to all 4 wheels as the system sees fit. When driving on flat land and steady speeds, the car 'becomes' front wheel drive in order to be more efficient. If you hit a puddle, some ice, some snow, or turn off on to a dirt road, etc. it may redirect power to any of the 4 wheels as needed in order to maintain traction and stability.

This is a GOOD thing, it makes the car more efficient in the large majority of driving time. Front wheel drive is inherently more efficient as the energy has to 'travel less far' to get to the wheels. The computer is sophisticated in standard mode alone, and react very quickly. The GOAT modes just allow you to set some focused settings if you know in advance the type of terrain you will be on.

Make sure to look into some of the GOAT modes and how the system works so you can be sure to get the most out of it while keeping the car happy/safe. Here are some useful links from older threads:

Here is the Ford video giving a '101' overview on the GOAT modes and system.

The Ford Maverick truck's AWD system is the same and here is a video explaining it in detail;

Also check out this thread on GOAT modes - it explains a bit about what is altered in each mode.
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/goat-modes-terrain-management-system-explained.1373/

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I thought we have the eco mode for that?
You don't need all 4 wheels driven at all times. It saves on fuel, also saves on wear and tear on the rear diff.

The big Bronco is no different, except for that it drives the rear wheels instead of front in 2WD. And if you have the upgraded transfer case with 4 Auto it's still going to bias to 2WD unless it detects slippage on the rear wheels.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've been watching my intelligent 4wd system in my bronco and majority of the wheel that is turning its the front wheel, I would say 90% of the time. Then when Im on stop light and accelerate that's when the 4 wheel works at the same. And obviously when I lock/press my 4wd mode powers all 4 wheels. What are your opinions on this?
Ford Bronco Sport Is this 4WD false advertisement from ford?? Check out the picture.. 20220125_135101
Just to add...
It is not just Ford using 4x4 verbage on systems with similar all-wheel drive. Jeep does that also. They call all their awd/4x4 and does not have the same 'normal mode' capability as a Bronco Sport with power to all four wheels from a stop on the street.

The definition can be confusing. For my brain the Badlands is a four-wheel drive because it has the button to connect all four wheels in a permanent configuration.

The others are intelligent all-wheel drive but the verbiage intelligent four-wheel drive could work also.
( I do not think the goat modes on Outer Banks, big bend and base actually keep/hold four wheels with power in slippery or sand mode, rather it stays in intelligent mode.
(reactionary mode)otherwise that would not be different for the Badlands to have that 4x4 button)

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
My understanding is its more of an AWD as opposed to a 4x4 (it is based on the Escape AWD), that being said, as the point has been made in 90% of driving time FWD is fine and you get the benefit of the extra power to the rear wheels when needed. The badlands is closer to a "traditional" 4X4 as Rock Crawl and Mud Ruts "lock" the rear, but even that is done in a more AWD configuration as well.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
This is absolutely normal. “Intelligent 4WD”, as stated right on your instrument panel, allows the car to choose how to distribute the power. It’s well documented in the owners manual.