First Name
Christa
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cmweeksart.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hello! I am new to this forum. Just purchased a 2021 and I notice that there is a strange thumping noise inside the car when the drivers window is open, and even when the other windows are open as well. It sounds like the headliner is making noise. Does anyone know what this is and what I could possibly do about it?
Thanks for any help!
~Christa
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Hello! I am new to this forum. Just purchased a 2021 and I notice that there is a strange thumping noise inside the car when the drivers window is open, and even when the other windows are open as well. It sounds like the headliner is making noise. Does anyone know what this is and what I could possibly do about it?
Thanks for any help!
~Christa
This article might explain your issue.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15344069/explained-that-weird-throbbing-when-you-open-one-car-window/

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
As the article mentioned, just open another window a little. VW even had a brochure about this on the counter in service years ago. I probably still have it with my car stuff.

OP
OP
prissychrissy72

prissychrissy72

Big Bend
First Name
Christa
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cmweeksart.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you!
I understand the dynamics of the wind, makes sense, but it happens even when I open the other windows. It sounds like the air is sucking the metal roof up and down, it’s a thumping,
not like the noise you would hear if someone opens the back window only. Anyway, thank you for your response! I appreciate it!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thank you!
I understand the dynamics of the wind, makes sense, but it happens even when I open the other windows. It sounds like the air is sucking the metal roof up and down, it’s a thumping,
not like the noise you would hear if someone opens the back window only. Anyway, thank you for your response! I appreciate it!
Are you saying you hear the noise when more than one window is open at the same time? I hear a Helmholtz resonance when I open a single window (driver's, front passenger, left-rear passenger, or right-rear passenger), but if I have more than one window open at once I no longer hear it.

OP
OP
prissychrissy72

prissychrissy72

Big Bend
First Name
Christa
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cmweeksart.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
So it’s not the Helmholtz resonator sound.
its thumping

here’s a weird analogy…
I had a Saturn once, you know plastic body… if that car was dented, you could pop the dent right back …
Now do that a bunch of times. That’s the best I could do to describe the sound.
it’s like there’s air between the headliner and the roof and it’s flexing. It’s not normal.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
Again the owners manual saves the day.

POWER WINDOWS

Press the control to open the window. Lift the control to close the window.

To reduce wind noise or pulsing noise when just one window is open, slightly open the opposite window.

steve bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sportrack
Thanks for any help!
~Christa
To me the thumping noise is more like a helicopter inside the bronco

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
To me the thumping noise is more like a helicopter inside the bronco
Now is the sound more like the Bell 429 GlobalRanger helicopter or the UH-60 Black Hawk attack helicopter? We get the Black Hawk helicopters going overhead and their thump thump and whump whump is just like bring inside a Subaru Forester at 45mph with the passenger window half way open.

OP
OP
prissychrissy72

prissychrissy72

Big Bend
First Name
Christa
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cmweeksart.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
If I wasn’t as slick as I am we would be driving a Subaru Forester… because that’s what my husband wanted… but I said hell no… we’re getting a Bronco.

now to answer your question… I think, Black Hawk… so change my thump thump to a whump whump!! Lmao!
Y’all are funny!

Now is the sound more like the Bell 429 GlobalRanger helicopter or the UH-60 Black Hawk attack helicopter? We get the Black Hawk helicopters going overhead and their thump thump and whump whump is just like bring inside a Subaru Forester at 45mph with the passenger window half way open.
Sponsored