Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
My BS is almost six months old (officially lasted longer than my wrecked 2021, yay), and I got a policy renewal notice from State Farm with this note about a rate increase:
Ford Bronco Sport Insurance increase for Bronco Sport 284852D0-2534-41B2-B628-16F5E28D9771

I did the math and it seems to be about a $46 a year increase, so it’s relatively small, but it does intrigue me.

So are people with Bronco Sports getting into more collisions? The wreck that totaled my BS was the fault of an idiot driving like a fool and causing a four-car freeway crash; I was driving like a little old lady because my car was less than five months old and I was being super cautious (plus I’d broken my ankle two months prior).
Sponsored

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Man, it could honestly be anything. We have 5 star safety ratings, but the windshield busts constantly due to the propensity to get smacked by road debris. Any small flaw can cause a rate increase.

Plus, when totalled, our vehicles are being paid out at a higher price than MSRP. They could be trying to compensate for the larger payouts.

OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd guess it has more to do with replacement and repair value with all this commodity BS.
Good point — my BS was totaled for $38,000, plus taxes and fees, because the value had gone up since I bought it. So I was basically able to order a new 2022 without losing very much at all.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I would bet its the used car payout value having more to do with it. When my mustang was totaled in December insurace paid out $11.5K, for a 10 year old mustang v6 with over 120k miles on it, bluebook was only around $7800.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Rate increase due to inflation maybe?

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Rate increase due to inflation maybe?
That is what I was thinking. Ford has already increased prices twice this year from my understanding for the BS.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
All insurance has increased. Some more dramatically than other. You should see the house insurance increases what with the replacement cost ballooning due to labor and material costs soaring. I'd say that particular increase is because your company found out the RV was more than expected. It's not about the amount of claims, it's about the cost. Actuaries are pretty twisted up right now. I've read several totaled Bronco owners reporting to get more than they paid. Which is amazing for them, but in the end, we'll all pay for it. Normally you have to add a rider for a "Replacement Value" premium to get that.

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Late 30's Ohio resident here. I received my 6 month GEICO bill today. I was paying $240 for my 2012 Ford Focus before I got my Sport in January. The new bill is for $340.

When I bought the Sport, GEICO said my rate increase would likely be $30 or $40 dollars (which is crazy cheap to me considering I was going from a 10 year old small vehicle to a brand new Sport).

Assuming that $40 of the increase is the math the gentleman was working with back in January, this would mean that the other $60 of the increase is due to everything that has been going on the last few months. The % increase I received seems to be in line with various articles I have read that say insurance rates are going up between 11% to 30% on average.

GEICO has always done right by me, so I am not angry at all. Rates have so many variables that it is tough to know what % increase a given person should expect. Yet, I figured I would post here in case any other GEICO customers are curious about what they might be looking at in the near future.

Rockdoc

Badlands
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape XLT
My son had a minor fender-bender and State Farm added a 5-year “extra fee” to my policy for a $2500 claim - after more than a decade with no claims in my policy.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
My son had a minor fender-bender and State Farm added a 5-year “extra fee” to my policy for a $2500 claim - after more than a decade with no claims in my policy.
My daughter used up my accident forgiveness in less than six months and incurred an extra fee for "convictions" of her two tickets.

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
My daughter used up my accident forgiveness in less than six months and incurred an extra fee for "convictions" of her two tickets.
Ouch , I think we all go through that stuff , part of being a parent, be blessed that your child is here with you . Life happens .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fuzzbear

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that's an entirely different thing. I had a very minor incident (just barely over the $1,000 threshold, though I question that since I saw zero damage on the other vehicle) about six years ago, and my rates went up 30% for three years as a result of losing my good driver discount since it was an at-fault collision over $1,000. I had never had an at-fault collision in nearly 30 years of driving.

I was livid, but it's apparently standard practice and "accident forgiveness" is not applicable in my state.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
You should shop for insurance every year or get a broker to do it for you. If you stay with one company they will gradually raise your rates over time regardless of "discounts" even if you never make a claim.

I found out the hard way that insurance companies aren't loyal to their customers, don't be loyal to them.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I had to drop State Farm after having them for 26 years because their rate increases were getting crazy. No claims since I was 22 (42 now) and I had a hit and run in 2017(hole poked in front bumper from a tow hitch, guy backed into me) and called to make a claim and found out that it would have been cheaper to fix it out of pocket so we didn't even finish the conversation. Few months later when I sell the car, the new buyer asks what claim was on it and I was like the hell? The call didn't even last long enough to tell them what happened let alone get a claim number.

The claim 20 years ago was me falling asleep and going off road and running into a barb-wired fence and putting cool 'racing stripes' all along the passenger side. Total cost 2800 to fix. Insurance premiums up for an extra 5k over 5 years.... should've just paid out of pocket.
Sponsored