Txsurfer13

Heritage
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Ltd
Roll of toilet paper and a 5 gallon bucket with ”Lid” works just fine.
This is a classic, and still a great option.

If OP is looking for something a tad more refined, there are portable commodes that work like diaper genies... just pull the bag out after, and a new liner is left behind already in place for the next use.

For me, it depends a lot on the rules where I'm camping. If it's a 100% pack-in/pack-out venue; then I'm bringing something like the portable I mentioned above (but not quite du fancy, haha) If they allow shitholes, then I'm bringing a folding latrine shovel. TP gets bagged and gets packed out regardless.

Plan ahead if you're packing out. Make sure you've designated a spot for transporting your business out which is exterior of the vehicle 🙃. The BS doesn't have a bunch of great options, but rooftop or on a hitch carrier could both work well.

Last thing, because I feel very strongly about this: If you're digging shitholes, please be responsible!! Every park or campsite will have regulations on latrines: how deep, how far from water, how far from facilities, etc. It's really awful to visit a site after someone who is inconsiderate with their waste, and it can be really harmful to the local critters and their food.
Sponsored

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I'll cut right to the chase: Where do you poop?

Assuming you don't just pop a squat just anywhere in nature, leaving the worst of you behind as a gift to the planet, what equipment do you use to handle this messy business? I imagine most don't want to bring a bulky portable toilet, but maybe you do. I'm genuinely curious what solutions y'all have come up with.

Please proffer preferred pooping paraphernalia!
I don't poop and tell! Sorry

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I pretty sure that 98% of hikers in the Grand Canyon don't pack out anything they don't have to. One friend tried to burn his toilet paper and started a grass fire that he barely was able to contain. My friend read a book about how to poop in the woods. I know, who would write a book like that, and who would buy it? Anyway, the book said that the pathogens (harmful bacteria and viruses) don't die quickly in a desert environment (based on actual studies) and it is better to spread it out on a rock with a stick. The worst is people who do it right next to the river and leave the toilet paper to blow in the wind. I generally roll a large rock to make my hole, and roll it back to cover it. Animals will often dig it up after you've gone so a large rock helps prevent that. As for toilet paper decomposing slowly, who cares? As long as it is buried and out of sight, what difference does it make? After flushing the black tank on my travel trailer and seeing the TP broken into tiny pieces, I don't believe it decomposes slowly if it is wet.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I don't poop and tell! Sorry
This is like scuba divers that ask what to do if you have to pee while under water...There are those who say they simply pee in the wetsuit, and those who lie and say they don't.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Alot of S*** talk going on!! I'm outta here.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Don’t know how accurate this info is but in best cases toilet paper decomposes in 1-3 years.
However in the desert, in wetlands and in alpine areas, toilet paper takes a much longer time to break down.
Best to pack out TP.