HRG 2.5” vs Ford Ranger Lifts 1.75”

Bad Man Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I’m picked up a 2021 Badlands recently so I’m new to the Bronco Sport life, but have had 3 different 4x4 Tacomas so I’m NOT new to off roading in general. I’ve never really messed with spacer lifts and subframe drops…it was always longer shocks and leaf packs.

I know there’s tons of threads on all of this but it’s just a complete overload of information so I’m asking my specific questions:

Is the HRG kit truly 2.5” and the FRL kit truly 1.75”? Does the subframe drop offset the numbers? (For example— the body lifts up 2.5” but the subframe goes down 1”, thus giving you only 1.5” of additional actual ground clearance?).

Which kit truly gives the most ground clearance?

I think I read that one kit maintains the factory rake and one does not? Which is which?

Is there an approximate install time for either kit? HRG mentions 6-7 hours but I’ve seen posts of guys installing in about 3 hours with hand tools. I can’t imagine an off road shop would take 7 hours to do either of these kits so I’m curious on the time vs. money offset here.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bad Man Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Additionally, the Ford Ranger Lifts photos APPEAR to be a taller lift compared to the HRG photos on their website, but maybe it’s just tire sizes or camera angle trickery?

DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
I've been waiting for any kind of first hand accounts on the 2.5" lift. I much prefer HRG over the other companies for how much they put their products through the ringer.

I imagine even though the subframe drop will keep some of the components at the same height as a 1.5" lift, the rest of the underbody will still be raised. Most importantly the pinch welds and the bumpers.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This isn’t in reference to either products I. Your post so ignore me if this doesn’t apply but I got the eibach spring lift and it gave 1.7” front and 2” rear.

https://eibach.com/product/E30-35-053-01-22
Forgive me if I missed it, but have you posted a review? I'm mostly interested in how the upgrade affected your ride quality and fuel economy.

OP
OP

Bad Man Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This isn’t in reference to either products I. Your post so ignore me if this doesn’t apply but I got the eibach spring lift and it gave 1.7” front and 2” rear.

https://eibach.com/product/E30-35-053-01-22

Ford Bronco Sport HRG 2.5” vs Ford Ranger Lifts 1.75” IMG_3766
I actually wouldn’t mind going this route, but I’ve got the Badlands. The compatible part lifts the front 1” and the rear .7”. The benefits don’t seem worth the coin.

Last edited:

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Forgive me if I missed it, but have you posted a review? I'm mostly interested in how the upgrade affected your ride quality and fuel economy.
Oh your good I actually never put together a review mainly because my point of reference is very limited haha. This is my first suv and the first lift I’ve ever had installed on anything and I know almost nothing about vehicles so it just felt weird being vocal about my overall review of them.

Road noise definitely more noticeable, on the freeway it’s pretty loud in the cab but how much of that is the lift or the k02’s or a combination, I’m not sure.

I did read a lot how these springs would make small potholes way more noticeable and create a rougher ride which honestly hasn’t been my experience at all. I’d almost be willing to say there’s been no noticeable difference in how it feels while driving compared to oem springs. I drive like a grandpa though and only “off-roading” is dirt roads and the beach one time so far. All that to say, I’d definitely recommend these to anyone that’s debating.
Also mpg sits at 26 and I drive 5 miles one way to work, city driving, so really no complaints.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I actually wouldn’t mind going this route, but I’ve got the Badlands. The compatible part lifts the front 1” and the rear .7”. The benefits don’t seem worth the coin.
Dang it I’m so bad at knowing the differences between trim levels when it comes to that. That’s definitely something I’d consider not worth it. I’m excited to see which route you end up going!

Captain Trips

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Nice looking ride. Did it actually raise it the amounts advertised? Any ride difference?
I haven’t taken a tape measure to it so I can’t say it did with absolute confidence but the first few times getting in it after install I 100% could tell a difference. And tbh I feel it drives the same way it did before install. I don’t notice any roughness that people warned about and my mpg haven’t really changed. Maybe 1-2 mpg less? I’m not sure haha. It was pricey to have them installed but was a modification that I didn’t feel was worth risking my safety or destroying anything just to save money and try to do on my own with zero experience. So far zero complaints and would definitely recommend.

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
I have the 1.5" HRG lift installed on my Badlands, 15,000 miles and several off-roading trips with no issues. My lowest clearance point (with 245/65/R17 tires) is 10.76 inches. The clearance at the pinch weld is a little over 13"

I also bought their front skid plate (aluminum) and it definitely saved me several front bumper replacements now! I also like the way it looks (very low-key) compared to many of the others on the market. My only complaint is the bolts and washers they sent for the skid. The washers were too small for the size of the hole on the skid, and the bolts were an easily strip-able hex key. A quick trip to the autoparts store fixed that, but it was annoying having to do.

Before the lift and different tires I was getting about 25.5 mpg. With the lift and tires, I'm now getting around 23.5 in the summer, and averaging 22.6 this winter (stupid winter fuel blends...)

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I have the 1.5" HRG lift installed on my Badlands, 15,000 miles and several off-roading trips with no issues. My lowest clearance point (with 245/65/R17 tires) is 10.76 inches. The clearance at the pinch weld is a little over 13"

I also bought their front skid plate (aluminum) and it definitely saved me several front bumper replacements now! I also like the way it looks (very low-key) compared to many of the others on the market. My only complaint is the bolts and washers they sent for the skid. The washers were too small for the size of the hole on the skid, and the bolts were an easily strip-able hex key. A quick trip to the autoparts store fixed that, but it was annoying having to do.

Before the lift and different tires I was getting about 25.5 mpg. With the lift and tires, I'm now getting around 23.5 in the summer, and averaging 22.6 this winter (stupid winter fuel blends...)
I’m very similar to yours, except I have 2 inches of lift, using Flatout GR plus coil over’s. I feel I need to point out that the HRG skid plate is steel, thank goodness. I did strip one of the hex heads, but somehow I’ve had more problems bending the bolts than anything. I’ve replaced all four of them at some point.. my gas mileage is about the same as yours, post lift, and tires.
I just checked my ground clearance. At the bottom of the front jack point, 12 1/4 inches and at the bottom of the rear jack point 13 1/8 inches.

Last edited:

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
I’m very similar to yours, except I have 2 inches of lift, using Flatout GR plus coil over’s. I feel I need to point out that the HRG skid plate is steel, thank goodness. I did strip one of the hex heads, but somehow I’ve had more problems bending the bolts than anything. I’ve replaced all four of them at some point.. my gas mileage is about the same as yours, post lift, and tires.
I just checked my ground clearance. At the bottom of the front jack point, 12 1/4 inches and at the bottom of the rear jack point 13 1/8 inches.
I coulda swore the front skid was aluminum, but the magnet for my shop light stuck right to it! It must of been in one of his youtube videos or something that he wanted to make it of aluminum but the prices were too high for it at the moment. And the plate is light enough I never questioned my misconception (now I'm actually going to have to paint over the badges of honor it's been wearing so it doesn't rust next winter:crying:)

FordBroncoLifts

Base
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport 2019 ranger Fx4
I’m picked up a 2021 Badlands recently so I’m new to the Bronco Sport life, but have had 3 different 4x4 Tacomas so I’m NOT new to off roading in general. I’ve never really messed with spacer lifts and subframe drops…it was always longer shocks and leaf packs.

I know there’s tons of threads on all of this but it’s just a complete overload of information so I’m asking my specific questions:

Is the HRG kit truly 2.5” and the FRL kit truly 1.75”? Does the subframe drop offset the numbers? (For example— the body lifts up 2.5” but the subframe goes down 1”, thus giving you only 1.5” of additional actual ground clearance?).

Which kit truly gives the most ground clearance?

I think I read that one kit maintains the factory rake and one does not? Which is which?

Is there an approximate install time for either kit? HRG mentions 6-7 hours but I’ve seen posts of guys installing in about 3 hours with hand tools. I can’t imagine an off road shop would take 7 hours to do either of these kits so I’m curious on the time vs. money offset here.

Thanks in advance!!
My 1.75” lift kit for the badlands is the max I would go to not void factory warranty. Since the badlands model is already lifted a half inch from the factory, by adding my 1.75” kit actually puts it at 2.25” max lift without jeopardizing premature wear on vital suspension components. My kit looks taller than the other guys because it is. I specialize in ford products only. Made in the USA 🇺🇸 with a lifetime warranty. No special tools required. DIY friendly and only takes 2-3 hours with everything you need to install in your garage or driveway. Use coupon code “broncosport” at checkout for our group member discount and save 20% off today. https://fordrangerlifts.com/shop/ols/products/bronco-sport-badlands-first-edition
Sponsored