Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I got stuck in my own front yard in less than 12" of snow. It really is the tires, The Continentals really need to be changed out. Some will say bull s*** but mine are gone in the fall before it snows again. At this point and time, I am going to go for Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I assume you used sand mode but still dug in. Its the tires. By the way, I love the Rapid Red!

OP
OP
STEELSIDE

STEELSIDE

Big Bend
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I got stuck in my own front yard in less than 12" of snow. It really is the tires, The Continentals really need to be changed out. Some will say bull s*** but mine are gone in the fall before it snows again. At this point and time, I am going to go for Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I assume you used sand mode but still dug in. Its the tires. By the way, I love the Rapid Red!
I agree, some good tires would have made things a lot better too, but after i aired down I had problem getting off the beach.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I am switching to the Falken Wildpeak (or something better ) in 2 months. That’s when i will have the money for it.

Reactions: Jrl

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Most any tire works on the beach. It’s all about airing down. We always go to 13-15# for soft sand. I spend most summers at 25# because it lets us get to parking areas behind the dunes where others won’t go and we can skip airing up. Hopefully the TPMS in the BS isn’t as annoying as my Wrangler.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Due to improper technique and tire pressure, we did get stuck for a few minutes. But Rays Recovery helped me back out, and we got back on our way.
I'm sure you did but just to be "that guy" who asks anyway, did you use Sand mode at all? Did that help maintain traction, or not at all? What about using Low gear ('L' button in the middle of the dial) in conjunction with Sand mode?

The reason I ask all of these things is because forum member @fourthgear has an Outer Banks and used it on the beach with no issues:

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/approaching-1-000-miles-my-thoughts-on-this-baby-bronc.1740/page-3#post-33425

I have not gotten a chance to drive it in sand yet so I personally don't know how it will perform, but from the other users (other than you, of course) who have, they have said it performs great even in deep, loose sand. And I hope you don't misunderstand my reply - I'm not criticizing you. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
I agree, some good tires would have made things a lot better too, but after i aired down I had problem getting off the beach.
See...your problem was that you live in North Carolina... you went to the beach and you didn't get the "Outer Banks" edition. ? ? Just kidding.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Most any tire works on the beach. It’s all about airing down. We always go to 13-15# for soft sand. I spend most summers at 25# because it lets us get to parking areas behind the dunes where others won’t go and we can skip airing up. Hopefully the TPMS in the BS isn’t as annoying as my Wrangler.
You can turn the TPMS screen off -- but don't know whether that also turns off any warnings or not?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm sure you did but just to be "that guy" who asks anyway, did you use Sand mode at all? Did that help maintain traction, or not at all? What about using Low gear ('L' button in the middle of the dial) in conjunction with Sand mode?
There's sand and then there's sand -- wet/packed, dry/loose/deep...and more 4WD goodies to choose from in the BL to get you out and going again. But yes, tires and airing down -- do both!

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
There's sand and then there's sand -- wet/packed, dry/loose/deep...and more 4WD goodies to choose from in the BL to get you out and going again. But yes, tires and airing down -- do both!
Right. I was specifically referring to the time when the user I mentioned drove his non-BL trim on the beach ("fairly deep sand" as mentioned in his post) in sand mode and engaged the Low gear and did not run into issues like the OP did. Since the OP has a non-BL trim, I wanted to mention an example of sand/beach driving in a non-BL trim and ask if he used all available options instead of just airing down tires.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Any idea if airing down to as low as 15# is going to be an issue on tires this small? My base has 225/65/R17 Wildpeak Trails (standard load, 2-ply.)

I'm not looking to do crazy off roading, but might see muddy or sandy areas at times (specifically going to be going to Chaco Culture Park this Autumn.)

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Any idea if airing down to as low as 15# is going to be an issue on tires this small? My base has 225/65/R17 Wildpeak Trails (standard load, 2-ply.)

I'm not looking to do crazy off roading, but might see muddy or sandy areas at times (specifically going to be going to Chaco Culture Park this Autumn.)
I wouldn’t think so for use in deep sand because you don’t get a lot of roll. That said I always have a full sized spare for beach driving. If you only air down part way as I do when I run 25# and you recognize you are losing your grip on reality, you can immediately stop and drop 10# and will most always be able to drive yourself out of trouble.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

For frequent use, I understand you need to watch the quality of tire, some lesser models might develop sidewall cracking with a lot of airing down for trails/the beach. You know, I've always wanted a portable compressor, now I have a reason for it! Get yourself one of those tire deflators and a good dial gaugue w/flex hose attached too.
Sponsored