Hissing sound left AC vent

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I’ve seen a full thread of different sounds, but was wondering if anyone has specifically heard a hissing like sound coming from the left AC vent on drivers side? Sounds like it could be behind the console but only comes when accelerating. I thought It was the AC for a while but that is not the sound considering it happens when the AC is turned off. Anybody else experiencing this? BS badlands
Sponsored

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
I’ve seen a full thread of different sounds, but was wondering if anyone has specifically heard a hissing like sound coming from the left AC vent on drivers side? Sounds like it could be behind the console but only comes when accelerating. I thought It was the AC for a while but that is not the sound considering it happens when the AC is turned off. Anybody else experiencing this? BS badlands
I am as well. OuterBanks.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think it's a chiller for the turbo...but this is just a guess.

Shmack It

Badlands
First Name
Shmack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Any updates on this noise, I believe I am noticing it too on my BL + BL? Didn't really seem to be resolved on this thread...

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
To me it doesn’t sound like the left vent. I only get it at a certain RPM if the RPMs go up or down it goes away so I wonder if it’s just that, and is not really a problem?

jwhamlin244

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Badlands
I hear it as well. This engine sounds significantly different than any other car i've driven, this hissing included. I guess if it is this widespread, I won't be terribly concerned about it...

Shmack It

Badlands
First Name
Shmack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Since I am not noticing any significant effect on performance it may very well be normal as some of you have said. Nevertheless, at some point I am going to take it in to have it looked at, if anyone else does please report the outcome here. I will obviously do the same.

cwkoontz

Badlands
First Name
Caitlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I just purchased a Badlands model and I am experiencing the same thing. Any updates?

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I notice some kind of hissing sometimes but I always thought it had to do with either the turbo (they actually do hiss) or the automatic climate control. If cabin temps are optimal I assume it either blocks air from coming through vents or it just goes off and on constantly trying to keep the set temp?

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My BL also makes this hissing noise. If I turn my head slightly to the right the noise increases in volume & clarity, probably due to my left ear being in the direct line of sound. It appears to be coming through the vents.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
A hissing noise is indicative of the movement of pressurized air. The engines in these cars feature forced induction, which uses a turbocharger to pressurize intake air prior to it going to the engine. The turbocharger is mounted on the exhaust manifold , and is powered by exhaust gases; when you step on the accelerator pedal you increase the amount of exhaust which spins up the turbine in the turbocharger. This, in turn, spins up the compressor side of the turbocharger which pressurizes the intake air.

Since reports of this phenomenon suggest the hissing occurs under acceleration with normal power output, I would initially suspect the noise is coming from the induction system. In other words, it's the normal sounds of the movement of pressurized air going from the turbine compressor to the engine intake. I say "normal" because any leak in the induction system between the turbine compressor and the engine intake would reduce or prevent pressurization of the intake air, which would result in a power loss.

Shmack It

Badlands
First Name
Shmack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A hissing noise is indicative of the movement of pressurized air. The engines in these cars feature forced induction, which uses a turbocharger to pressurize intake air prior to it going to the engine. The turbocharger is mounted on the exhaust manifold , and is powered by exhaust gases; when you step on the accelerator pedal you increase the amount of exhaust which spins up the turbine in the turbocharger. This, in turn, spins up the compressor side of the turbocharger which pressurizes the intake air.

Since reports of this phenomenon suggest the hissing occurs under acceleration with normal power output, I would initially suspect the noise is coming from the induction system. In other words, it's the normal sounds of the movement of pressurized air going from the turbine compressor to the engine intake. I say "normal" because any leak in the induction system between the turbine compressor and the engine intake would reduce or prevent pressurization of the intake air, which would result in a power loss.
Yep, it simply seems to be that other turbo vehicles (and certainly ones I've owned) have done a better job at reducing how much of that noise makes it into the cabin. Too bad.
Sponsored