Badlands
First Name
Caitlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands model (with the Badlands package). I love the car, but I have noticed that there is an odd extra sound coming from the car (I suspect the engine). I can hear it pretty much all the time, but it's loudest when I'm accelerating or cruising at speed. That being said, I'm starting to notice it even more even when I am breaking slowly at low speeds (like coming to a stop light). It's hard to describe the noise. It's definitely separate from the typical purr of an engine when you accelerate. It's like a continuous icy/scraping/hissing noise. It's quiet subtle, but I feel like it's not normal, especially for a brand new car. I honestly didn't notice it when I first drove it home from the dealer. Weirdly I can hear it better when the windows are closed. I also feel like I hear it loudest in my left ear (when in the drivers seat), like it's coming from more from the left side of the car/engine. I have read a few other forums that seem to describe something similar, but I thought I'd ask the community as well since it seems everyone kind of describes the noise a little different. I have an appointment in a little over a week to take it in to a Ford dealer, but I thought I'd gather some opinions so that I have more information myself when I take it in. Hopefully this isn't a major problem, I haven't noticed any affects on the cars ability to accelerate or perform. I really love the car, but I just feel this noise is abnormal. Thanks so much.
Sponsored

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have heard the same on mine. It's just intake noise from the turbo from what I can tell so I wouldn't worry about it

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Some have a rattle clicking sound caused by Park Release Cable. There is a TSB out for that problem.

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP
cwkoontz

cwkoontz

Badlands
First Name
Caitlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you. It's not a clicking noise, but I'll keep that in mind. I typed in my vehicle's VIN into the NHTSA recall page and so far nothing is coming up.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I'll throw out a wild guess that's it's your brakes. Either something stuck in them like a pebble or it's a brake pad that is dragging.

OP
OP
cwkoontz

cwkoontz

Badlands
First Name
Caitlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'll bring that up to the dealer when I bring it in. However, I have had a rock in my brakes before (different car) and it was a very different sound.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands model (with the Badlands package). I love the car, but I have noticed that there is an odd extra sound coming from the car (I suspect the engine). I can hear it pretty much all the time, but it's loudest when I'm accelerating or cruising at speed. That being said, I'm starting to notice it even more even when I am breaking slowly at low speeds (like coming to a stop light). It's hard to describe the noise. It's definitely separate from the typical purr of an engine when you accelerate. It's like a continuous icy/scraping/hissing noise. It's quiet subtle, but I feel like it's not normal, especially for a brand new car. I honestly didn't notice it when I first drove it home from the dealer. Weirdly I can hear it better when the windows are closed. I also feel like I hear it loudest in my left ear (when in the drivers seat), like it's coming from more from the left side of the car/engine. I have read a few other forums that seem to describe something similar, but I thought I'd ask the community as well since it seems everyone kind of describes the noise a little different. I have an appointment in a little over a week to take it in to a Ford dealer, but I thought I'd gather some opinions so that I have more information myself when I take it in. Hopefully this isn't a major problem, I haven't noticed any affects on the cars ability to accelerate or perform. I really love the car, but I just feel this noise is abnormal. Thanks so much.
Hi Caitlan! That definitely doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern!

B.Sporty916

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi all,

... It's like a continuous icy/scraping/hissing noise. It's quiet subtle, but I feel like it's not normal, especially for a brand new car. ...
I noticed the noise from my BS/BB on our first road trip. This along with some faint clicks and whirls when reducing speed had me wondering what was going on. I plan to have it looks at when I take it in for it's first oil change.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi Caitlan! That definitely doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern!
Please let us know if this is normal or not. I too have the click sounds and hissing. I wasn't worried about it but it seems everyone is saying this is not normal. Now I'm worried a bit.

Steve1222

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hear this scraping / hissing under load as well. First noticed in on our first road trip. Listening carefully, I wonder if it might be spark knock (detonation). After the engine warms up, under a little heavy load it sounds more like someone shaking a tambourine very gently and very quickly under the hood. It does not sound right. I'm still on the dealer-supplied tank of gas. I'm going to try premium when I refill. I better take it to a dealer as soon as I can. Wish I didn't have to but I better.

We absolutely LOVE this Bronco Sport. It went over snow-packed hilly highways perfectly. Very sure-footed! We have a lot of plans for other adventures.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hear this scraping / hissing under load as well. First noticed in on our first road trip. Listening carefully, I wonder if it might be spark knock (detonation). After the engine warms up, under a little heavy load it sounds more like someone shaking a tambourine very gently and very quickly under the hood. It does not sound right. I'm still on the dealer-supplied tank of gas. I'm going to try premium when I refill. I better take it to a dealer as soon as I can. Wish I didn't have to but I better.

We absolutely LOVE this Bronco Sport. It went over snow-packed hilly highways perfectly. Very sure-footed! We have a lot of plans for other adventures.
Man, dealer supplied gas tank, a first for me. My BL was delivered with the red light of empty... hope to have it when I buy the new one in a couple of years. JAJAJA

Fordson04

Big Bend
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Man, dealer supplied gas tank, a first for me. My BL was delivered with the red light of empty... hope to have it when I buy the new one in a couple of years. JAJAJA
I am not sure about the noises, but I didn't know not getting a full tank of gas when you purchase wasn't a thing. LOL every new car i have ever purchased came with a full tank of gas, heck even some used car purchases at some of your smaller dealers I would get half a tank, never drove one off the lot empty LOL

bluesoftail

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A scraping sound could be the turbo bearing going bad. The turbo is lubricated with motor oil and when the bearing goes bad so does the oil seal. When this happens the turbo pumps your motor oil into your intake until it’s gone if you don’t check it. A friend of mine had this happen and seized his motor in a Lincoln MKS.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Turbocharged cars require a lot of plumbing under the hood to move intake air around in. Air comes into the main intake near the grill, passes through the air filter, is routed through tubing to the back of the engine where the turbocharger resides, is pressurized (compressed) by the turbine, is routed back to the front of the engine through more tubing to the intercooler to remove heat added by compression, and finally through more tubing to the throttle body, which controls how much of it enters the engine. To add to the cacophony, between the intercooler and the throttle body there is a component called the recirculation valve attached to yet another tube. This valve opens when you close the throttle to recirculate--hence the name--pressurized air, that would otherwise have nowhere to go, back into the unpressurized side of the air intake system. This prevents pressurized air trapped between the turbine and closing throttle body from pushing backwards on the spinning turbine blades and slowing them down. The faster the turbine is spinning when you step on the accelerator pedal the less time it takes for the turbocharger to generate boost. The sooner you get boost, the sooner you get power.

All that air--some pressurized, some not--moving around in all that tubing can make unfamiliar noises to people who have not driven turbocharged vehicles, or who have not driven turbocharged vehicles with such good road manners they are quiet enough to hear all the noises made by moving air through so much plumbing inside the engine compartment.

IMHO, the most likely source of the noises people are hearing is air hissing through the recirculation valve back into the unpressurized side of the air intake system. The valve is usually only fully open when you completely close the throttle (take your foot off the accelerator pedal), but it can be partially open during light acceleration or as the throttle modulates while cruising.

Take your car to the dealer service department and have it inspected. As bluesoftail noted, problems with the turbocharger will be very evident. If they can find nothing wrong then drive your car with confidence. If you don't like hearing all that air moving around turn up the stereo a bit. :like:

greencoffee

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Any update from the OP? We’ve had the same issue since getting our BL with badlands package.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Issues, Repairs, Warranty, Recalls, TSB 15