First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
"What am I supposed to do with my right hand now? Put it on the wheel?!?"
(That made my salesman laugh)

Now I just shift with my travel mug while making vroom-vroom noises.
Hhahahahahaha :crackup::crackup::crackup:

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
While I still have preference for standard center console shifters, I don't mind the dial. At least ALL the gears are on the knob. My last car - Kia Stinger GT2 - had an electronic shifter with a knob for D-N-R and a separate button for Park. Drove me nuts! This is much simpler to learn but is still a learning curve ... particularly for those of us who started with three on the tree.

As for auto-park on shutoff or door opening, that is a big safety feature. A coworker was run over by their Land Rover they thought was in park while they jumped out to grab their phone. Thankfully they were not badly hurt.

Last edited:

OMK

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you are on the highway and going down a steep hill. How do you downshift to a lower gear?

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
If you are on the highway and going down a steep hill. How do you downshift to a lower gear?
The center of the dial has an 'L' button you can press for low gear. On Badlands, you can use paddle shifters.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
I'm ok with the shifter, but I wish the G.O.A.T. dial was different. I want a big 'sport mode' button i can slam with out looking down when someone cuts me off.
If you have a BL and want to pass just put the pedal to the floor and hang on.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I think it's the second greatest thing ever invented. The first being the engine cover. ?
But if we had an engine cover, we could not open the hood and say to someone…..”as you can see, the thingamagiger is attached with that whoseywhatsit cable though the spaghetti bowl finally reaching the flux capacitor“. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
[[ downshifting on long-downhill runs ]]

The center of the dial has an 'L' button you can press for low gear. On Badlands, you can use paddle shifters.

Badlands and First Editions (2.0l / 8F35 w/ SelectShift) ... if you're in normal (non-"Manual" shift mode) you can initiate a temporary downshift / upshift with the paddles. It'll revert back to automated shifting the next time throttle-level reaches some tolerance window (unclear exactly what that window is). If you're in "Manual" shift mode, you can initiate a downshift / upshift with the paddles and it'll hold until you exceed maximum allowable RPM (forcing an upshift) or minimum allowable RPM (forcing a downshift). Being in "Sport" G.O.A.T. mode tweaks the ends of those tolerance windows for forced shifts.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
[[ downshifting on long-downhill runs ]]

Badlands and First Editions (2.0l / 8F35 w/ SelectShift) ... if you're in normal (non-"Manual" shift mode) you can initiate a temporary downshift / upshift with the paddles. It'll revert back to automated shifting the next time throttle-level reaches some tolerance window (unclear exactly what that window is). If you're in "Manual" shift mode, you can initiate a downshift / upshift with the paddles and it'll hold until you exceed maximum allowable RPM (forcing an upshift) or minimum allowable RPM (forcing a downshift). Being in "Sport" G.O.A.T. mode tweaks the ends of those tolerance windows for forced shifts.
Actually the answer I was looking for. I got to take advantage of this weird car market. I had traded my base 2015 ‘stang for 17k into an outer banks (no badlands available). I figured I would be able to after market some things. Then I found this forum. Changed my mind drastically.

had an alert still set looking for badlands and one popped up. Traded in and got a badlands with just a slight increase in payment. Weird market.

but then I noticed it was not having the low (which was great coming down from Flagstaff). Knowing the paddle trick will be exactly what I was looking on here for.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
But if we had an engine cover, we could not open the hood and say to someone…..”as you can see, the thingamagiger is attached with that whoseywhatsit cable though the spaghetti bowl finally reaching the flux capacitor“. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
The real reason people are freaked over the missing engine cover,,,,
Drum Roll——————
Is when us guys have to do the look under the hood ritual we don’t want our buddies actually seeing that it’s a three or even a four banger. We want them to only see a full engine bay..
We do not measure up unless our d.,?!, is bigger than the other guys d.,?!,
It’s like having a trophy wife :’P
Yeah yeah I know I ain’t right,
In the head,,
What ? The d thing ? Get yer head out of the gutter boyz.
It means deal.,,,, jeez O Pete,,,

Group_44

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Platinum,80 Triumph TR8, 69 Jag XKE 2+2

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is when us guys have to do the look under the hood ritual we don’t want our buddies actually seeing that it’s a three or even a four banger. We want them to only see a full engine bay..
We do not measure up unless our d.,?!, is bigger than the other guys d.,?!,
As more and more auto manufacturers follow Ford's lead toward small-displacement, turbocharged powerplants, we are all rethinking what we know about internal combustion engines. Fewer cylinders means fewer moving parts which in turn means lower R&D/manufacturing costs and less weight. Turbocharging improves volumetric efficiency which in turn means more power from less displacement. Lower weight and better efficiency means better handling and fuel economy.

So what does this mean in the real world? Let's compare a Toyota V6 with Ford's 2.0L EcoBoost. Toyota's V6 in the 4Runner is 4.0L displacement with power figures of 270 hp at 5,500 RPM and 278 lb ft of torque at 4,400 RPM. The 2.0L EcoBoost is only 50% of the displacement of Toyota's engine, yet it produces more than 90% of its power--246 hp. Additionally, the EcoBoost produces the same torque as Toyota's V6 at a much more useable 3,000 RPM. The torque figure is the one that really matters, because that's what produces the acceleration you need in most day-to-day driving situations. In other words, you don't have to rev your 2.0L EcoBoost to stratospheric RPMs to get useable power, which makes for a much more relaxed and pleasant driving experience in my opinion.

And the numbers scale even for the smaller 1.5L EcoBoost. While it produces less power overall than the 2.0L EcoBoost, the comparison with Toyota's V6 is still startling: The 1.5L produces roughly 65% of the V6's power with only 37% of the displacement.

Take that V6 worshippers.
Sponsored