Hate this dial shifter…

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Half the problem is with my stress-addled head, and half is the design of the dial shifter. About 3 times now, I’ve accidentally shifted from Reverse into Park, meaning to shift to Drive. It’s just soo easy to turn it the wrong way. Only once did I hear the pawls grind in the transmission, but it gave me the heebie jeebies. I have never done this with a normal handle shifter.

Anyone else have this issue? Any tricks to prevent it?
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i've done it too, going from drive to reverse, then throw it in park by accident. just takes some learnin, it'll treat you right.
but heres a fun trick - leave it in drive, and turn the car off. it turns to park on it's own. i know it's lame but it made me giggle.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
I had the same issue with the dial shifter. There are times I get in the BS and I'm looking for the gear shift lever I have in my Escape and Ecosport.

OP
OP

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I’ve already got 8500 miles on it, but the issue only started happening in the last 3 weeks. Definitely something wrong with the wetware.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I hear you. I'm used to having a stick shift. Caught myself reaching down a few times. Deathly afraid of accidentally rolling that dial at high speed.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
i've done it too, going from drive to reverse, then throw it in park by accident. just takes some learnin, it'll treat you right.
but heres a fun trick - leave it in drive, and turn the car off. it turns to park on it's own. i know it's lame but it made me giggle.
Also if you open the door to soon it will spin to park automatically. On Land Rover a few years ago it was a major problem and people were getting injured . Maybe it was Range Rover.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Also if you open the door to soon it will spin to park automatically. On Land Rover a few years ago it was a major problem and people were getting injured . Maybe it was Range Rover.
Question, why would someone want to open their door when it is not in park?

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have a BMW. That took some learning also. After starting you Had to tap down a couple on the stick to get to drive otherwise you were in neutral or reverse. Then if you wanted sport you had to tap stick once to the left and push a rocker switch forward. Then if you tapped the stick while in sport it would throw you into manual using either the stick or paddles. Oddly after a while it becomes easy because of hand memory. The BS will be the same And become memory in your hand. I look forward to the BS being easier!!! :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport Hate this dial shifter… EBFFCAAF-62F6-468E-B5CE-8C1E2F9CB4EE

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I hear you. I'm used to having a stick shift. Caught myself reaching down a few times. Deathly afraid of accidentally rolling that dial at high speed.
Ford has made the dial with safe features. You cannot shift it to reverse or park while driving. You have to get down to 1-2 mph from what I am told.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
I actually like the dial, I like watching it automatically move over to park when I turn the car off. The first time I turned the car off before putting it in park I went to reach down and move the dial and I felt the knob moving in my hand, my first thought was what the fudge. My other car is a Miata with a 6 speed manual so I get use to turning the car off while in gear. I do find my hand reaching for the gear shift when I'm driving.

Bundydoc

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm ok with the shifter, but I wish the G.O.A.T. dial was different. I want a big 'sport mode' button i can slam with out looking down when someone cuts me off.
At least they could have made it so that when you turn the dial it changes. I hate that I have to turn the dial just to turn the dial.