RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I mounted a 245/65/17 wildpeak to the steely spare and put it on the roof. The spare area is filled with recovery gear and other stuff. It would’ve fit in the spare area. But like it for storage. I have 5 new pirellis that no one wants lol. Tire shop wanted to charge for disposal. I put 100ish miles on them before I junked em.
Sponsored

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I used my Pirelli’s for trade value at Discount Tires. The spare had no mileage on it, while the four on vehicle had a little over 8000 miles (~1/32 of wear by the shop measurements). I received $200.00 off my purchase and the removal of the disposal fee, since they’ll sell them to a customer that needs tires but can’t afford brand new ones. I have the black spare steelie in my garage as I replaced it with an OEM carbonized grey matching rim. I thought about selling it, but haven’t decided yet. If anyone along the I5 corridor is interested, let me know. I make the trip from Tacoma to Seal Beach fairly often because - family and OC weather is much nicer this time of year.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Thanks, Escape2Bronco, are you saying you would just charge shipping? I would like to find one closer, but $120 for a spare would be a good deal. I might take you up on it later if that is what you meant.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Thanks, Escape2Bronco, are you saying you would just charge shipping? I would like to find one closer, but $120 for a spare would be a good deal. I might take you up on it later if that is what you meant.
Sorry, didn’t see the post. If you put the @ in front of the name, it will notify who you are directing your message to.

I wouldn’t charge much more than shipping. Just a few bucks to cover dealing with it.

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
I skimmed through this thread, but did not see my question. I have a Badlands with the full spare, and like someone mentioned, it is the Pirelli 225/65/17. My roadies are 235/65/17 Wild Peaks. Since I am assuming the vehicle is AWD in normal driving mode, and AWD's are theoretically supposed to operate with all 4 wheels/tires uniform...

Is the 225 spare going to cause a problem should I have a flat - particularly if we're off on a small overland jaunt?

Another quicky - for you folks that upgraded to a 235 on the spare, does the cargo cover sit flat or is it elevated with the bigger tire in the spare?

Thanks for any input!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I skimmed through this thread, but did not see my question. I have a Badlands with the full spare, and like someone mentioned, it is the Pirelli 225/65/17. My roadies are 235/65/17 Wild Peaks. Since I am assuming the vehicle is AWD in normal driving mode, and AWD's are theoretically supposed to operate with all 4 wheels/tires uniform...

Is the 225 spare going to cause a problem should I have a flat - particularly if we're off on a small overland jaunt?

Another quicky - for you folks that upgraded to a 235 on the spare, does the cargo cover sit flat or is it elevated with the bigger tire in the spare?

Thanks for any input!
There's a really good explanation of what to expect in your owner's manual. Bottom line: you have open diffs on both axles, and the power transfer unit that connects the front to the rear is disengaged unless you manually engage it, or the 4WD thinks you need it. The system apparently has sensors on it and may disable the 4WD system when you have a different-sized spare installed. As long as none of the axles are locked and the front and rear axles are not connected you can drive the car without concern for damaging anything, but you should get the damaged tire repaired and back on the vehicle ASAP.

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue

Thanks for any input!
As I understand it, the 235 is wider but running a 225 should not be a problem for a short period of time. In answer to the question about a 235 in the wheel well. The cover fits fine. If you use the steel spare rim, it should even bolt down. I have a matching rim on my spare, so the original bolt/nut will not secure. Doesn’t really need to. It’s not like it’s going to jump out while I’m driving. However, another forum member has fabricated a nut for the matching rims. He’s going to let me beta test it. Looks promising.

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
True, but easy (not necessarily cheap) to fix. One could argue the other trims should have real spares instead of donuts. It is what it is.

Ford Bronco Sport Full Size Spare on Badlands 5CEB4015-AF87-430C-9492-DC5186CC8469
Ford Bronco Sport Full Size Spare on Badlands 6E42909C-2C65-4881-BB12-E6DC26049979
Escape2Bronco:
Where did you get the wheel? Was it reasonable in cost. I'm not in a huge hurry, but I plan to do the same in the next few months.

Thanks,
rdxland

True, but easy (not necessarily cheap) to fix. One could argue the other trims should have real spares instead of donuts. It is what it is.

Ford Bronco Sport Full Size Spare on Badlands 5CEB4015-AF87-430C-9492-DC5186CC8469
Ford Bronco Sport Full Size Spare on Badlands 6E42909C-2C65-4881-BB12-E6DC26049979

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Escape2Bronco:
Where did you get the wheel? Was it reasonable in cost. I'm not in a huge hurry, but I plan to do the same in the next few months.

Thanks,
rdxland
I picked it up on eBay at a reasonable cost.

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
I had a flat in a wildpeak and discovered the spare was the base trim tire. Discount tire wouldnt fix the flat (too close to the edge) so I bought a new tire and replaced the spare with the repaired wildpeak (used a small town tire shop with no warranty). So at least my spare is the same size. I wouldnt trust it to go too far though

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
@endrMinr, thank you for your business, we are sorry we could not fix your tire, but the safety of our customers is our first consideration. We replace tires under our Certificates for repair and replacement at no charge for the tire, for that exact condition. When safety is in question, we always error to the side of the customer.

rdxland

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS Badlands
To all responders -
Thanks for the help and insight on the spare sizing and wheel.

I'm going to get a Falken tire to match and just use the stock rim for now and see if the tire dealer will provide at least some credit on the Pirelli Scorpion, as it has never been on the road.

And I hope the spare rots in the 'trunk' (meaning no flats, ever)!

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
So will the spare steelie rim not work with the Falken? I was just going to get another Falken and use the existing Steelie if I could. Not a tire pro, so always had a hard time figuring out tire sizes etc.

thegadgetfish

Outer Banks
First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Anyone know what to look for when purchasing a spare wheel? I just changed out my 225/60/18s and kept one as a spare. Sites are asking width, etc and i’m not sure where to find the info.
Sponsored