Ford eliminating AM radio

Ford is eliminating AM radio from all new vehicles. Do you agree with this choice?

• Total voters

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
The only time I listen to AM radio is via a portable radio at home when a major storm hits, such as Super Storm Sandy. And that was only at home, not in the car.
In the car, I haven't listened to AM radio except when I visited the relatives in the Chicago area. Yes WGN AM radio, as Escape2Bronco highlighted above.
I fondly remember talk show host Wally Phillips morning show, and Flying Officer Irv Hayden doing the traffic reports from back in the 60s and 70s, back before I was even driving.
I won't miss AM Radio in the car.
Sponsored

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Reminds me of when I test drove a BS the first time and asked the sales girl where the slot for the cd player was. That was the first I had heard that cd players were long passe.
Perfectly happy now with Sirius and Carplay and frankly wouldnā€™t miss am or fm.
Damn glad Iā€™ve got an engine cover though!

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I see portable electronic signs on my interstate travels saying things along the line of ā€˜tune AM 640 for road conditions and alertsā€™. But I guess we donā€™t need no stinkinā€™ alerts.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
As Steely Dan said it best in song, no static at all, FM

pocket_geek

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2016 VW Beetle
Why even bother with the radio.We all can just listen to the music in our heads!
Of course I am being facetious.

Is there really such a cost savings in this? Just give me a radio let me decide what and how I want to listen to it.
Sometimes the music in my head is so loud people ask me to turn it down.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I see portable electronic signs on my interstate travels saying things along the line of ā€˜tune AM 640 for road conditions and alertsā€™. But I guess we donā€™t need no stinkinā€™ alerts.
Guess not. Lots of local sprts here are on 550 am .I guess that will be it for sports while out driving. Same with local news. Just seams Ford is cheap. Removing the am from radios, hood insulation, engine covers etc. Notice that they never lower the price. Just extra $$ in their pockets.

HouseOfSoto

Badlands
First Name
Shauna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The last time I had fun with AM radio was pre Sirius days driving at night when Iā€™d just turn the dial to see what I could pick up & from how far away. Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™m aware of an AM station now here, though they always had talk. Itā€™s one of those ā€˜wonā€™t affect meā€™ things that Iā€™ll still be sad to see go. I mean how many microchips can it possibly take to have AM along with FM (Another thing I donā€™t use in this day & age)?
This is just about my exact sentiment. I used to use AM a lot on country road drives, navigating away from tornadoes in OK, and picking up random stations states away but haven't really intentionally listened to AM for probably 15 years.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
The day FORD eliminates AM radio ( as long they still exist) is the last time I buy a FORD.
So Ford person who monitors this sight. Take that back .

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Ford has announced they are eliminating AM radio in new vehicles. They are doing it in gas and electric vehicles, whereas others are only doing it with electric vehicles.
Isn't AM required for National security notification? Ford really has gone Chinese.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The only time I listen to AM radio is via a portable radio at home when a major storm hits, such as Super Storm Sandy. And that was only at home, not in the car.
In the car, I haven't listened to AM radio except when I visited the relatives in the Chicago area. Yes WGN AM radio, as Escape2Bronco highlighted above.
I fondly remember talk show host Wally Phillips morning show, and Flying Officer Irv Hayden doing the traffic reports from back in the 60s and 70s, back before I was even driving.
I won't miss AM Radio in the car.
Wally Phillips was my Mom's go to guy.

There was a parody made to Barry Manilow's "Mandy" but Mandy was changed to Wally. I can't remember much of it but it was pretty funny. Probably not to Wally, but the rest of Chicago thought it was funny.

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hmmmm...let me think. The last time I used AM radio? Prolly 1975, when I installed an FM tuner in my ā€˜74 Pinto wagon. Then the last time I listened to FM? When Sirius came along in 2002.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Weew! At least my 67 Camaro has it's original AM radio. When I wish to listen to boring AM broadcasts, I'll hop into its seat and play away.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Guess not. Lots of local sprts here are on 550 am .I guess that will be it for sports while out driving. Same with local news. Just seams Ford is cheap. Removing the am from radios, hood insulation, engine covers etc. Notice that they never lower the price. Just extra $$ in their pockets.
Hear hear.
Sponsored