GizzardLizard

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'd definitely upgrade to a hybrid if they end up offering it. Thats something I'd even keep long term (with an extended warranty to be safe of course), at least until EVs become more viable. Hybrids are a good compromise until we get to that point IMO.

A Bronco Sport with fuel economy in the high 30s low 40s: what more could you ask for?
Sponsored

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I'd definitely upgrade to a hybrid if they end up offering it. Thats something I'd even keep long term (with an extended warranty to be safe of course), at least until EVs become more viable. Hybrids are a good compromise until we get to that point IMO.

A Bronco Sport with fuel economy in the high 30s low 40s: what more could you ask for?
Exactly my thoughts. I don't think the EV infrastructure, particularly the charging stations are nearly robust enough to go full EV for either of my vehicles yet, but I do have an order in (and waiting for a build date) on an Escape Plug-In Hybrid. If they offered that or even just a straight hybrid option for the Bronco Sport, I'd have gone for it.

38 miles all electric range and 41mpg in hybrid mode and a $6843 federal tax credit. I wish it was a Bronco Sport, but the aerodynamic differences between the two vehicles tell us the Escape would have much better MPG numbers if both were offered as hybrids.

Terry K

Outer Banks
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Pilot
My problem with smaller hybrid SUVs is they don't come with spare tires. Several models I looked at don't. This is a deal breaker for me.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
My problem with smaller hybrid SUVs is they don't come with spare tires. Several models I looked at don't. This is a deal breaker for me.
I got one for my Escape I ordered, but I had to pay for it and I can't remember but I don't think it's a full size spare.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
If they release this in 2024, I'd definitely be on board with trading my 2022 in for a 2025 or 2026 model. Would've killed for a hybrid in the current Sport but understand why it wasn't ready for primetime yet.

bronco_Banks

Outer Banks
First Name
Olga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks
If bronco sport hybrid is a thing, I would jump on board so fast. But I’m happy to actually have pickup power on a freeway for the first time in my life so… maybe not.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
6000 miles in so far on a Maverick hybrid. If they offer the Bronco Sport in a hybrid, my wife's all in for trading her '20 CX-5 for one. FWD only would be fine for us.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
yes, that is an issue with hybrid and especially PHEV. tho I think they can redesign the rear hatch and offer a full size spare mounted on the outside. in fact, I wish they do that no matter hybrid or not.

I drive a PHEV for commuting. that works very well for me as it gets me to the office full electric and as long as I charge fully in the office garage, I will get home full electric as well. with the gas price forecasting to $10/Gal.....electricity is much cheaper.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't think the EV infrastructure, particularly the charging stations are nearly robust enough to go full EV
I also agree that most of the charging infrastructure is a little behind. but maybe by the time we order an EV and delivered.....the infrastructure has caught up :crackup:

especially for people use their SUV/Xover for outdoor activities that takes you far away from big cities. Rivian is trying to put in charge stations at these "trailheads". they need to work faster....but when I saw a Rivian charger at Yosemite this year. that is moving to the right direction.

as far as PHEV, the only thing is that once battery is low and go into the regular hybrid mode, the vehicle performance curve suffers. I'd like to have the 2.0L Turbo with the PHEV setup. just a 80-90 hp electric motor (and maybe 10-12 kWh battery) will do just fine for most people's commute. and it will give the car tremendous low end torque for off-road use. and with combined power of 300+ on a BS BL....that car will rocket up to speed.

so....bring the hybrid powertrain to the BS, I will put in an order as soon the order bank is open.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Exactly... my wife's 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited has no spare... just an emergency inflation kit!

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I also agree that most of the charging infrastructure is a little behind.
The brand new charging station at a walmart close to me survived less than 6 months before someone ran it over.

TEdison

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport OBX / 2020 Lincoln Corsair
You don't plug in hybrids, they don't wall charge the electricity is generated from the gas engine. Also claiming the gas emissions environmental impact is the lesser evil the over concerns of the possible environmental impact of the batteries doesn't make sense either. Hybrid are cheaper for your wallet long term so just go with that. Lithium batteries can be recycled as well, there was even a few articles released this year about how recycled lithium batteries can out preform fresh ones. They've even started the process of pulling lithium from water instead of mining it. No technology is without its down side. But at the end of the day what counts for most is what makes sense with your wallet. Hybrids are very practical for the times.
Ford C-max, a plug-in, hybrid electric vehicle. (PHEV) A true hybrid just uses an internal combustion engine when it runs out of battery power. Most hybrids are "soft" hybrids. They use electric motors as an assist but are based on ICEs. Yes, hybrid vehicles do plug in. Soft or mild hybrids do not.

moodythree25

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my BS BB
Before I got my BS, I test drove and Escape Hybrid and loved it. I almost chose it over my BS, but it was a SE that was a couple thousand more and lacked some BS features I liked like flip up rear glass and led head/fog lights. I would seriously consider trading for one when they become available.

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
Yeah. I think maybe the old Escape and Fusion hybrids had plug options too, but I don't see any of that on the current generations. I don't believe plugging them in was something you had to do either, was more like a top-off option?
I had the 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid. There was no plug option. I got 38-40 MPG without even trying. No wear on the front disc brakes so no brake dust. It was real nice. The Fusion Hybrid did not look silly either.

The [no longer produced] Ford Fusion "Energi" had the plugin.

Ford is bringing back actual cars soon (they only sell 1 "car" -- the Mustang right now).
Look for a 2023 Fusion "Active" crossover with hybrid probably standard. It will be a real "Suburu Outback killer"...

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I'd consider it but if it's just a plain hybrid with the 2.5L from the Escape and Maverick I'd probably wait on a plug in BS or big Bronco.

BS PHEV with the 1.5L and an electric motor from the rear would be nice. Or a Bronco PHEV with the 2.0L and electric motors.
Sponsored