Folding Headrests

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I just looked at that page in the manual, and noticed that if you go back a page there are two sections, one for the 1.5L ECOBOOST and one for the 2.0L ECOBOOST. If you have a Badlands with the 2.0L engine, it says that you will be using the front recovery hooks. The way I read it, the towing eye is only applicable with the 1.5L engine.
As I recall, the towing eye is applicable on any vehicle without the factory installed hitch.
Sponsored

brian803

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
As I recall, the towing eye is applicable on any vehicle without the factory installed hitch.
That's what I wasn't sure of. I didn't see anything in the roadside emergency section (p264-p265) referencing the factory installed hitch, just the 1.5L ECOBOOST and 2.0L ECOBOOST. Perhaps I'm looking at an older revision of the manual.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I just looked at that page in the manual, and noticed that if you go back a page there are two sections, one for the 1.5L ECOBOOST and one for the 2.0L ECOBOOST. If you have a Badlands with the 2.0L engine, it says that you will be using the front recovery hooks. The way I read it, the towing eye is only applicable with the 1.5L engine.
It is vague.

Notice on p.264 it says:

"Carefully remove the front or rear towing eye attachment point cover."

Presumably that means there is at least one front and one rear attachment point.

That stands to reason since a vehicle might be recovered from the front or rear.

The recovery hooks on the front of the Badlands are suitable for a front recovery -- although Ford sure covers their butt on p.265 -- but the rear requires the tow eye or, if the factory hitch is installed, a shackle hitch receiver.

Bottom line, a towing eye is required for all BS trims except the Badlands with the tow package.

In addition, a shackle hitch receiver is required for rear recovery for all BS trims with the towing package.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And those with the hitch -- for front recoveries.

The only BS that does not need (cannot use) a towing eye is the Badlands with the factory hitch (like ours).

brian803

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
It is vague.

Notice on p.264 it says:

"Carefully remove the front or rear towing eye attachment point cover."

Presumably that means there is at least one front and one rear attachment point.

That stands to reason since a vehicle might be recovered from the front or rear.

The recovery hooks on the front of the Badlands are suitable for a front recovery -- although Ford sure covers their butt on p.265 -- but the rear requires the tow eye or, if the factory hitch is installed, a shackle hitch receiver.

Bottom line, a towing eye is required for all BS trims except the Badlands with the tow package.

In addition, a shackle hitch receiver is required for rear recovery for all BS trims with the towing package.
Thank you for the clarification, yes it is vague. Still learning about my new Badlands, love it so far but want to be sure I have everything I am supposed to. While I likely won't need the towing eye, it would be nice to have just in case. Appreciate everyone's help.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I have a Badlands with Towing. The frame underneath the bumper is different and doesn't even have a thread for the eye. But Ford in its strange, infinite wisdom did include the plastic cover to snap out where it would be. Even though the tow version of the bumper cover is a completely different mold from the non-tow version.

Edit: I also seem to have an older manual that doesn't even make mention of a "towing eye". My page 264 is all about fuses. This is the entire section for recovery hooks:
Ford Bronco Sport Folding Headrests 1657230573998

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I have a Badlands with Towing. The frame underneath the bumper is different and doesn't even have a thread for the eye. But Ford in its strange, infinite wisdom did include the plastic cover to snap out where it would be. Even though the tow version of the bumper cover is a completely different mold from the non-tow version.
Yeah sort of an over sight miss yes

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Oops!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the clarification, yes it is vague. Still learning about my new Badlands, love it so far but want to be sure I have everything I am supposed to. While I likely won't need the towing eye, it would be nice to have just in case. Appreciate everyone's help.
You're welcome!

WRT the towing eye, I agree that most of us will (hopefully) never need it, but Ford does recommend carrying one at all times -- then neglects to supply it.

The same might be said of the funnel; the jack; and the spare tire -- nice to have, just in case, as you said.

Generally speaking (not necessarily related to driving), there are several things that we likely won't need, but might come in handy: a generator, a first aid kit, a portable power pack, a year's worth of survival rations... :cool:

Seriously though, while people can get carried away, something like a tow eye is relatively inexpensive (if you must actually buy it); not very heavy; and pretty small.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I just had to winch a Ford Explorer out of the sand. My partner asked the owner where there tow eye was but of course they were clueless. I said it must be with the jack. Sure enough it was attached to the jack by a molded clip. Nice.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had to winch a Ford Explorer out of the sand. My partner asked the owner where there tow eye was but of course they were clueless. I said it must be with the jack. Sure enough it was attached to the jack by a molded clip. Nice.
We don't have a tow eye, so IDK where it is normally stored in the BS.

I'm assuming it's in one of the storage trays next to the spare tire, but if it's out of sight that might explain some reports of tow eyes missing.

Ford Guy

Outer Banks
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford F-150 XLT, 2022 Ford Bronco Sport Outer
Not trying to start a fire here but has anyone had luck getting Ford or their dealership to provide any of the things missing on the 2022 vs 2021 BS OB? Things such as folding headrests, digital dials climate control, perforated seats, ambient light cupholders, engine light start button, etc.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to start a fire here but has anyone had luck getting Ford or their dealership to provide any of the things missing on the 2022 vs 2021 BS OB? Things such as folding headrests, digital dials climate control, perforated seats, ambient light cupholders, engine light start button, etc.
After much back and forth between Ford and various people at our dealership were were able to get the following for no charge:

1) The dash cover
2) A Curt shackle hitch receiver (13,000 lb. rating) to provide a rear recovery point
3) The folding headrests (with fixed center headrest)

#2 was necessary because we have the tow package. The hitch eliminates the threaded hole for the tow eye.

There are many posts on the forum from people who were able to obtain one or more missing items for free. Others opted to spend their own money (or 'points' which of course = their own money) to get the parts.

Not to be negative, but many of the items in your list above are unlikely to be provided because they are changes that were made between model years and would be difficult (in many cases) to change.

Unfortunately, Ford decided to "decontent" the BS. IOW -- there are still climate controls; seats; cupholders; and a start button -- they just aren't as nice.

Items that are *missing* as opposed to changed are (sometimes) a different story. That was the case with 1-3 above.

The dash panel has been the easiest for owners to get (for free).

The shackle hitch receiver was a bit different. The BS does not come with the Curt shackle of course, however, in the owner's manual, Ford states that the towing eye is extremely important and must be carried in the vehicle at all times. Vehicles should have at least one rear and one front recovery point. The BS BL has recovery hooks on the front, so that's covered. Without the tow package, the rear has a hole for a tow eye -- so if we did not have a factory hitch, Ford could have supplied a tow eye and we'd be in good shape. However, when the hitch is installed the only option for a rear recovery point is a shackle hitch receiver.

The folding head rests were also tricky. Ford claims that they are like the other items you mentioned -- they were deleted/downgraded for the 2022 models (at least some models?). My position was that if eliminating them was planned (not a parts shortage), Ford should have at least provided holes to insert the posts in to store the fixed headrests when the seats are folded. As it is, the headrests must be thrown on the floor. Even if there *were* storage holes provided, folding headrests are -- if not absolutely necessary -- very convenient. Also, the folding headrests are shown in some of Ford's marketing photos for the 2022 BS, which is/was misleading to put it diplomatically.

If you do a search you will find many more stories.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Some have said they have had the dealer provide the folding headrests after much complaining. The rest of your list, I have not heard of any dealer willing to pay to replace those. The passenger dash panel is another item not on your list that some have had success getting it replaced. It’s cheap and easy to install so I can see dealers doing it as good will.

Bronco_Bliss

Badlands
First Name
Bliss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
@sajohnson Did you ever end up getting the folding headrests? If so could you share an image?

I am looking to find a pair of black folding headrests for my 22’BS Badlands, and I can only find used 2021 models…im not sure if they will fit in my 2022..
Sponsored