JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
FInally got the chance to car camp with my OB! I have to say the Luno mattress is pretty comfortable. I'm 6'1" and didn't really feel cramped. I could sit up well enough. Only logistical issue was getting in and out of the car in the middle of the night. Additionally I know people have complained about the headlights coming on every time you open the door/hatch. However I discovered turning the headlight knob to off, they didn't come on, only the parking lights.
I just placed an order for the Luno mattress. This looks like a great solution. We have the Napier SUV Tent and like it for extended camping (see https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/anyone-have-this-tent.2257/post-60366). But the Luno setup looks like a great option for just bugging out for a day or few or when I don't want leave a tent all day alone at a campsite.

Thank you for sharing this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi, can you give me a brief insight into packing onto your roof basket? Totes, bags, etc.
I am planning a car camping set up too, for my OB due to deliver in august and would like bike rack on the back so am looking at roof storage. Is it more beneficial for a basket rather than a roof box, do you think? I’m new to all this - thank you!
Essentially on the roof, I put things that you wouldn't mind getting wet. So it was folding chairs, tents, folding tables, tarps. On the inside was the stuff the opposite, blankets, pillows, food, stove and my Anker Power House battery.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
I just returned from a 21-day camping trip in Colorado, slept in the little Sport the whole time. Just a Thermarest Basecamp for a mattress, usually that's in the Excursion over a closed-cell foam flooring. The Basecamp alone left a little to be desired - I'll take a look at the Luno, thanks for the info.

I found that with the driver's seat fully forward and the seat back tilted as far forward as possible, I was able to ingress and egress through the driver's side rear door somewhat functionally. That left the area behind the driver's seat as the place to leave muddy boots, though it was a bit of a struggle and putting muddy boots back on in the morning left some kick marks and spatter on the seat back and door upholstery. It was marginally doable at under 5'7", I can't imagine the dents in my head and the headliner if I were at 6'+.

I initially thought I would ingress/egress through the rear hatch, but it turned out the road was too muddy in the middle and the side door allowed for an entry and exit onto some gravel road base instead of the mud. I wound up sleeping with my head toward the hatch, the opposite of what I would likely do if I used the hatch to get in and out. Maybe next time.

I ran into the dreaded "deep sleep" warning every couple of days. The vehicle seems to want to play the intro video, turn on various lights, and make noises for about 30 minutes every single time a door handle is touched. I found this fairly annoying and wish there was a a battery saver mode that would minimize the antics to reduce chances of a no-start without a 20-30 minute idle session every day.

I got the car too soon before my trip and didn't have time to figure out an awning, so I was pleased to see what you made up... I'm looking at doing something similar.

Thanks for the writeup! Moose approved!

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 3.26.53 PM

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Moose approved!

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 3.26.53 PM
Moose are seriously dangerous. Good to know that you were not attacked. There are stories every year of people being attacked and either killed or hospitalized from moose encounters.

I was riding a mountain pass on my motorcycle and a bull ran out in front of me. Luckily we were both headed in the same direction. I managed to slow down enough that I didn’t touch him but I shutter to think what would have happened if I did.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
They came through camp literally every morning, and some evenings too. They are almost prehistoric, and definitely unpredictable. You like to know that there's something solid between you and them, even if they appear relaxed and know you're there. Glad I didn't have to find out how the Sport would hold up to a momma moose.

Meanwhile, a bear reached into the window of the trailer we were using for the chuck wagon, and snagged three cans off the counter. One was corn, one was green beans, one was Skyline Chili. He punctured all three, but only opened and licked one of them clean:

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport IMG_0728

Him liked him some Skyline chili.

Pawprint at 7'6":

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport IMG_0732

Sorry for the thread derail, OP.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I camped out in the mountains above Moab after the Bronco Off-Rodeo. I have a Springbar tent which I believe is the best tent made. Once staked down, it takes a minute to set up. It has weathered rain, hail, snow, sleet, ice storms, and 80 mph winds without a drop of water inside. Full disclosure, I was protected by a ridge in the wind storm. It is tall enough that I can cook inside if the weather is bad, and I often do. It has mosquito netting, and lots of window ventilation for warmer nights. I have a roof luggage carrier, and a hitch rack, but didn't need either for one person camping.
Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport FA44C6F4-BE92-4E7E-864F-5495AA99B9BB

OHVBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How does the mattress support itself in the footwell? I have been wanting to do something so I can sleep in my car as opposed to my roof top tent for when stealth camping is required. I think I would try to take up half of that space for one person so I can leave my cooler and other essentials in the car when I sleep.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How does the mattress support itself in the footwell? I have been wanting to do something so I can sleep in my car as opposed to my roof top tent for when stealth camping is required. I think I would try to take up half of that space for one person so I can leave my cooler and other essentials in the car when I sleep.
There are two inflatable cubes that you stuff in that space to support the mattress.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I use this matt for by myself. Plenty of room to store things on one side and get in and out. Get up in morning and jump in driver's seat and take off. You can add a second pad for a full bed.

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport PXL_20220605_011723344

OHVBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I use this matt for by myself. Plenty of room to store things on one side and get in and out. Get up in morning and jump in driver's seat and take off. You can add a second pad for a full bed.

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport PXL_20220605_011723344
This is exactly what I was thinking. Looks awesome! Do you purchase the pad just like that? Nice bronco too, great color, haha. Is yours lifted? It looks to me like it’s on 245s.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
This is exactly what I was thinking. Looks awesome! Do you purchase the pad just like that? Nice bronco too, great color, haha. Is yours lifted? It looks to me like it’s on 245s.
The name on the pad is the company. They are great and out of phoenix area. Super comfy memory foam and air. That is how it came,you can flip it over to fit the other side or get two for full coverage. Yes lifted with 245's

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport PXL_20220610_200054143

OHVBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The name on the pad is the company. They are great and out of phoenix area. Super comfy memory foam and air. That is how it came,you can flip it over to fit the other side or get two for full coverage. Yes lifted with 245's

Ford Bronco Sport First trip car camping in Bronco Sport PXL_20220610_200054143
Is it the deep sleep solo mattress? It says on the site it is designed for Jeep’s but it looks Iike it fits great in your car. Also, which kit did you go with? I chose the hrg kit and have been very happy with the performance so far.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Is it the deep sleep solo mattress? It says on the site it is designed for Jeep’s but it looks Iike it fits great in your car. Also, which kit did you go with? I chose the hrg kit and have been very happy with the performance so far.
Yes it's solo but you can buy two if you want to cover both sides. This is designed to fit the B's as you can tell fits around edges exactly and you can turn it over and it fits the driver's side. I hv the hrg kit and like it alot.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
That looks like a nice and easy rack. Did you mount it directly to the rails or does it need crossbars?
Crossbars. I bought the cheap OMAC ones on Amazon. The rack is a ROLA.
Sponsored