First DIY oil change experience

Debby

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well, I just finished the first oil change on my wife’s 2023 Big Bend with the 1.5 engine at 2100 miles.

Mixed feelings about it. It was very difficult to find a place to jack up the suv….no frame rails exposed. Finally jacked it on the frame rails near the front bumper and put jack stands under the lower control arms.

Then I undid the FOURTEEN fasteners that held the shield in place. Kinda silly.

Once I finally got to the engine the oil change was easy. I just twisted the PLASTIC drain plug off of the PLASTIC oil pan and oil gushed out. The factory filter was exactly half the length of the Motorcraft replacement…..what the hell?? And I don’t trust all that plastic….I anticipate it’ll leak at some point.

Then I replaced the shield and the FOURTEEN fasteners!!

Filled it with 6.7 quarts of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil and removed the jack stands.

The oil change took about 15 minutes….the prep and follow up took almost 45 minutes.

Nothing was really hard but certainly time consuming needlessly I think. But now that I’ve done it once, next time will be better….i hope. Haha
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Good learning experience.
I take mine to the dealer for service, I've changed oil for years, don't want to lay on the ground anymore or schlep the used oil and filter to the parts store.

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Yeah, that skid plate is a pain to remove, for sure. I went out to harbor freight after the first oil change and bought a cheap impact wrench for the next time. That made the second time a little quicker.

The screws up near the bumper are the stupidest... Weird size and kind of flimsy. I've got one that's already not screwing in right. I'll probably replace those on the next oil change.

I use ramps when I change oil, which always seem a bit sketchy when I'm driving up them, but it feels less dangerous when I'm underneath.

KRPTX

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Yes that oil really flies out! I use ramps also and plenty of room to work underneath.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I did changes myself for many years but no more. I'm lazy now.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The one time I didn't change my own oil on my truck, they stripped the plug thread and it had a slight leak from then on. I got 4 free changes with my purchase, so I let the dealer do them. No problems so far. I'll do the next one.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks easy on the 1.5L. Interesting no old style drain plug.
If I had a lift, I'd do it myself but no more crawling under with ramps for me. Looks like an easy oil filter change out.
I've never looked at my plastic oil pan. This one looks like plastic in the video but he only added 5.3 qts but was good when he checked the dipstick.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
I use composite plastic ramps (which are light) - and just a socket wrench. The BS goes up my ramps without any drama. Once you do it a few times, the oil change is pretty quick (just all those damn belly pan screws). My 1.5 has a metal pan and metal drain plug - did not know they use a plastic pan on some engines - maybe it saves weight. Our Subaru Outback is a really easy oil change - I can crawl under without any ramps - oil plug is easy to get to and the oil filter is on the top of the engine pointing upwards.

BourbonRunner

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had the dealer do my first as a mobile service. Had no idea but this is about the silliest way to do it.

1. The plastic belly pans are for aerodynamics of this brick to help fuel economy but are a royal PITA to remove and needlessly complicated. Did they borrow BMW's engineers?

2. Plastic oil pan? Nuts. Having owned plenty of German cars, using plastic in extreme heat cycling duty usually causes headaches down the road. BMW is notorious for plastic chain guides in the V8s, MB for plastic that looks and feels like metal but sure as hell ain't, etc. Even if it is some super duper wonder poly-whatever compound, I'm not so certain I'd rely on these things seeing high mileage. The gasket on that pan is getting some severe differential between the two materials.

3. Oil filter that isn't top serviceable AND drips everywhere? Come on- thats bush league nowadays. Subaru's is up top and has a collar around theirs so any drips go down into the crankcase. BMW uses a top serviceable cartridge filter with a similar collar. And because of that, I can't use my suction pump to do top down changes.

Looks like this is one I won't be getting under any time soon.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use composite plastic ramps (which are light) - and just a socket wrench. The BS goes up my ramps without any drama. Once you do it a few times, the oil change is pretty quick (just all those damn belly pan screws). My 1.5 has a metal pan and metal drain plug - did not know they use a plastic pan on some engines - maybe it saves weight. Our Subaru Outback is a really easy oil change - I can crawl under without any ramps - oil plug is easy to get to and the oil filter is on the top of the engine pointing upwards.
The 1.5L newer plastic pan holds another 1.4 qts of oil.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
The oil change is a piece of cake on the BS compared to my '19 Ranger pu. The oil filter has to be accessed through the driver's side front wheel well. It takes the dealership hour to do because its such a PIA and that's why I pay to have it done.