Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
225 to 245 and additional rotational mass.
Two things, the first is from the racing world.
Every single pound of rotational mass has the same effect as adding two pounds of static mass. You are asking a small engine to spin up more weight.
And at the same time you raised all the gear ratios by going to a taller tire.
Your ‘rollout’ has changed.
You kinda sorta turned 1st gear into second. Your engine is now working harder. It’d dealing with more spinning mass and taller gears.
I went from the stock 225 all season Conti’s to 235 Yokohama Geolandars G015’s that are each five pounds heavier than stock with No noticeable loss in acceleration or mpg’s but my treads are not quite as chunky as the ones u have.
Sponsored

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It's important to keep your driving terrain in mind, too. When you go to lighter 245's that generally means they don't have reinforced sidewalls. Falkens have a passenger tire rating.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I used to run KO2's, they tend to develop sidewall splitting issues. Supposedly they have fixed that. The standard BS tires are passenger tires as well. A rock can take out a KO2 the same way as any other tire.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
KO2's supposedly have stronger sidewalls - the older pre-KO2 versions had an extra ply (3-ply on LT sizes). The new version claims thicker rubber and tougher sidewall composition which contributes to the heavier weight.

It's very important to compare ply ratings when comparing tires and choose according to your intended use. To say that one tire performs the same as any other tire is inaccurate at best.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
It's important to keep your driving terrain in mind, too. When you go to lighter 245's that generally means they don't have reinforced sidewalls. Falkens have a passenger tire rating.
That's incorrect both tires come in a variety of sidewall ratings. They both range from passenger to a light truck tire. In a vehicle like this a light truck rated tire is a mistake. It adds a ton of unsprung weight you don't want and negatively impacts road driving. You're unlikely to ever need a tire that tough where most people will be using these vehicles, especially if you don't have a Badlands.

EDIT: considering these vehicles don't have low range, that extra unsprung weight is going to really kill your applicable torque.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Very few people with Bronco Sports are going to be in a position to warrant using an LT rated tire for there offroad use.
BTW, BFGoodrich now has a warranty for sidewall splits, yet I have read complaints that it still happens.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Heavier and bigger tires go the opposite way with your MPG but that is something that I’m ok with. Trade off is you now have a more superior tire for those situations when you need it and the tires look much cooler.

I don’t worry much about MPG as most folks. If I’m able to afford a brand new 0 miles vehicle then gas prices isn’t something I stress over. I’m actually running premium gas in my bronco cause Ford recommended it for better performance.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I am getting a set of the KO2s installed tomorrow and I went with the stock 225 size, that's all I need. I wanted a tire that is good in snow and could handle a trail now and then. After the last snow storm we got here in Michigan, the stock conti's were terrible on unplowed roads with 8+ inches of snow.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I am getting a set of the KO2s installed tomorrow and I went with the stock 225 size, that's all I need. I wanted a tire that is good in snow and could handle a trail now and then. After the last snow storm we got here in Michigan, the stock conti's were terrible on unplowed roads with 8+ inches of snow.
We have about 8 inches of snow where I am in OK. I have 245 KO2s on my BL. First time I've driven in more than a trace of snow. Both the BL and the KO2s performed flawlessly. Tried several different modes and all worked fine. Didn't like the goat mode snow/mud. Kept the rpms too high. Mostly just drove in 4WD. Never locked it. Tried normal with traction control off and rarely did the rear wheels kick in. Deliberately stopped on a couple of hard-packed inclines. Hardly any wheel slip. Ford's Intelligent 4WD worked to perfection. I think you will like the KO2s in snow.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I used to run the BFG mud terrains on my old S-10 truck years ago, the only way I would get stuck was on the frame. I considered the trail terrains but the KO2s had a better performance rating, now i'm hoping for another snow storm soon.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i just upgraded and went to 245's. i wish you were closer, i have damn near brand new BFG K02s in 225/65/17 im looking to unload for a cheap deal.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i went from 225 to 245 in the KO2s. i dunno if its my head messing with me, but it feels alot smoother for sure. braking and take off you can tell it works a tad harder, but i dont drive fast in the sport. got a plymouth roadrunner for that :D

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
225 to 245 and additional rotational mass.
Two things, the first is from the racing world.
Every single pound of rotational mass has the same effect as adding two pounds of static mass. You are asking a small engine to spin up more weight.
And at the same time you raised all the gear ratios by going to a taller tire.
Your ‘rollout’ has changed.
You kinda sorta turned 1st gear into second. Your engine is now working harder. It’d dealing with more spinning mass and taller gears.
I went from the stock 225 all season Conti’s to 235 Yokohama Geolandars G015’s that are each five pounds heavier than stock with No noticeable loss in acceleration or mpg’s but my treads are not quite as chunky as the ones u have.
I really appreciate the knowledge you put forth in these posts bro. Thanks .

BroncoBurton

Badlands
First Name
Burton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Well, I had the BFG KO2 245/65/17's mounted on my Badlands yesterday. Look great, but I only drove home from Discount Tire, so reserving judgement for a day or two. I forgot to ask about the recommended air pressure and can't find it on the BFG site. They were aired to 45 psi. I'll call today and see what they recommend. When I turn the wheel to lock, there is a space about the width of my index finger and a ridge in the fender liner. I suspect the pinch weld is behind here.

To the guys running these tires-- what pressure are you running?
I'm looking to do 245/65/17 KO2 on my Badlands. Are you still happy with yours? How bad was the mpg fall off with 2.0L? I'm debating between KO2s and Toyo AT3. AT3 is 11 lbs lighter as already mentioned but those KO2s look good.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm still happy with them. Have 6k miles on them now. I kept lowering psi and I'm down to 33 cold pressure. Might lower another pound when weather gets hot. There is a drop of a couple of mpg and a noticeable difference in power from a dead stop. Not bad, with the 2.0 you can always gas it and go.
Sponsored