Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yes I I actually tried 3 sets of tires. All from “discount tires” bfg and Faulkens have a 30day guarantee on them regardless of reasons.
- 1st set was the bfg ko2 in 245/65/17- loved the look, hated the mileage drop, road noise and hydroplaning in heavy rain
- 2nd set was the Faulken at3w is the 235/65/17 loved the gas mileage, didn’t like the less aggressive look on the 235 vs 245 ( and yes it’s a big difference in person on the exact same tire with only 1 size up) also being only a 4ply I wanted something a little stronger and that would give me a little more clearance as I’m in the snow a lot.
- 3rd set and the keeper for about a year now was the Faulkens 245/65/17. They still get great gas mileage (average about 26mpg right now) , give you about a 1” lift from factory size. Have the “look” I wanted and most importantly the performance in wet and snow.. plus they have a long mileage warranty and are a 6ply tire with no issues for clearance or the 1.5L engine.
The 235 look less aggressive because of the edges and not the size. They are specifically designed for the Bronco Sport and the Lighter weight and rounded edges make them quieter and better gas mileage.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP
SnowReaper

SnowReaper

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The 235 look less aggressive because of the edges and not the size. They are specifically designed for the Bronco Sport and the Lighter weight and rounded edges make them quieter and better gas mileage.
Yes I understand that… the point I was making is the look Of the 245s are considerably different than the 235.
-225 and 235s are just the recommended factory sizing… not specifically designed for the bronco sport you can put other sizes on them that perform just fine.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Yes I understand that… the point I was making is the look Of the 245s are considerably different than the 235.
-225 and 235s are just the recommended factory sizing… not specifically designed for the bronco sport you can put other sizes on them that perform just fine.
I think what Steve was saying is that the 235 Falken Wildpeaks are designed specifically for Ford to use on the BS. They have a softer sidewall and some tread/profile differences to meet Ford's requirements as an OEM tire.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Eric said it better than I did. There has been much confusion on this forum regarding the 235/65-17 Falkens. They definitely look less aggressive. But that was done very specifically to meet Ford’s requirements with regards to ride, mpg and noise.

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
Eric said it better than I did. There has been much confusion on this forum regarding the 235/65-17 Falkens. They definitely look less aggressive. But that was done very specifically to meet Ford’s requirements with regards to ride, mpg and noise.
I have the 235/65/17 Falkens. I was torn on getting these, as in my mind, they are defintitely different tires than the other ATW3 sizes (the 225s weigh more than the 235s due to less ply and rounded sidewalls on the 235). However, when I got a 1.5L I really did not want to stress the engine with 40lb tires. I weighed the options and went with the 235 Falkens. They look good (not great) and they look MUCH better than the worthless 225 Contis that it came with. Moreover, the 235 Falkens are less expensive typically than the other options. Performance wise, they are awesome. Really no step down in ride quality from the Contis and fuel economy for me seems about the same (maybe a touch less). I typically get 27-28 in town and 32-33 on highway with this setup.

The irony to me is that these are an OEM option for the Badlands and not for any of the 1.5L configurations. If I had a 2.0L, I would 100% have gotten 245/65/17s and the only reason I went the route I did was the engine size.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I just bought some bfg ko2’s in 245/65/17 and love the look, but after tracking fuel mileage of them I went from averaging 30.5 to 24.5 and about a loss of about 70miles per tank. Obviously it’s a bigger heavier tire but not realize that I would loose that much. So a couple of questions I have;
1- has anyone else noticed this big of a drop in mileage to these same tires and size?
2- with the weight of the bfg in a 245 is 45.17lbs per tire where the falken in same size is only 39lbs… a weight savings of 6lbs per tire would it be worth it to just switch brands?
3- follow up to #2 as I know I’m going up 2 sizes to a 245 and how it throws off speedometer due to weight and diameter could part of that fuel loss just be mis-tracking and if I get it calibrated would that change anything?
4- or it it worth just going down to a falken 235 which is even lighter at 31lbs being a savings of 14lbs per tire worth getting that fuel mileage back to more normal and sacrifice a little size and looks for better mileage and less wear on 1.5L?
thoughts??
Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s 802DC299-50D0-4D0E-ADB0-A44446E2FD1B
I

I have the 245 KO2's on my BL and didn't see that much drop in gas mileage. Yesterday I averaged 32 in manual shift through the mountains from Taos to Las Veaas, NM. But when I hit the interstate 75-80, milage went down to 25. Aerodynamics hurt the blocky BS.

Download the WAZE nav app and it will show your speed measured by GPS. With my cruise set at 77, I'm doing 79 by GPS. Not that much off. I also found WAZE to report every radar trap from Taos to Norman, OK. Also reports road conditons, hazards etc. The WAZE users seem to be much more involved than Google and Apple maps.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks like that smaller power train is having to work a bit harder with those tires… but well worth it “if”. You frequently take that bad boy off road. My BL is a daily driver but just about every weekend I’m off roading on some aggressive rock terrain .. so have these beefier tires are necessary.

My Perillis were shredded after 20k. As far as mpg/s. I observed about a 2mpg hit… but between the tires and my roof rack it was no biggie for me.

especially coming from a full sized Dodge Ram with a Hemi…. Lol

Ford Bronco Sport Falken or bfg ko2’s PC230036
Sponsored