Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Part of me is glad I'm having my dealer install my Yakima crossbars before I pick up my BS (hopefully later this week). All I will know is the wind noise with the crossbars installed. Ignorance is bliss...

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
There was but I don't think that there was enough for me to say "Wow, what a difference!".
So your saying you still had wind noise without the cross bars on?

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So your saying you still had wind noise without the cross bars on?
Well I believe that every vehicle has wind noise to some degree and the BS isn't very aerodynamic to begin with.

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
I have a minivan, nissan pathfinder, escape, edge and other SUVs. None of these cars have cross rails and none have any wind noise. I would hope with the cross bars off, the BS would not have wind noise.

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
Is there any increase in noise or reduced gas mileage with these? Planning to order some for the occasional trip. I've never used a roof rack at all before so I don't really have an experience, like once they're on is it a huge pita where you would basically leave them on? Or is it a relatively simple thing if you need them a couple times of year to swap them on?

I don't want to have annoying noise or fuel mileage penalty for something I realistically won't use THAT often.

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is there any increase in noise or reduced gas mileage with these? Planning to order some for the occasional trip. I've never used a roof rack at all before so I don't really have an experience, like once they're on is it a huge pita where you would basically leave them on? Or is it a relatively simple thing if you need them a couple times of year to swap them on?

I don't want to have annoying noise or fuel mileage penalty for something I realistically won't use THAT often.
Don't forget to take into consideration the "cool look" factor. ;)

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22

Bumping this thread to answer the above question. Yes, once they're on you will want to leave them in place.

First of all, it is possible that I misinterpreted something in the instructions, but I am a technician who has been working on cars and all sorts of electro-mechanical stuff for almost 50 years.

The basic design seems good, and the bars would be quick and easy to install *IF* the machine screws could be loosened -- without fully removing them -- prior to inserting the hooks into the slots on the bottom of the roof rails.

Instead, the screws must be completely removed. It's easy to slip the hooks into the slots, but getting the screw started back into the threaded hole will test your patience. That threaded hole does not want to line up with the hole in the end cap. Even when the 2 screws that allow adjustment of the width of the bar are are loosened it is still difficult.

We finally got the screws started (carefully, by hand) and then of course it was fine.

Again, maybe there is a way to just back the screws off but leave them threaded into the holes 2-3 turns and then insert the hooks into the slots but that did not seem to be possible. Also, the instructions indicated that the screws should be removed.

If the screws were maybe 3/4" longer installation would be FAR easier.

Last edited:

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I can't figure out why the chose to make these sit so high with the bowed shape. There must be a reason but I can't figure out.
I read somewhere is because of the sun roof! But I have measured it, and do not got that high when opened!

obsys

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm having a hell of a time getting them to screw down properly and may have stripped one. Is there a trick to getting the screws to line up properly in the holes? They get started fine then really becoming difficult about 4 turns in.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having a hell of a time getting them to screw down properly and may have stripped one. Is there a trick to getting the screws to line up properly in the holes? They get started fine then really becoming difficult about 4 turns in.
See my post above. It took 2 of us, and even then it was difficult.

As I recall, we ended up with one of us trying to keep the threaded hole lined up, without being able to see it, and the other *carefully*, gently, getting the screw started.

Once they were started, I believe they screwed in easily.

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Shouldn’t be that hard. Use a step ladder and hold the lower latch up into the slot and then screw it in. You could just be having difficulty with the supplied tool. Go to any hardware store and by a Torx 25 security bit that you can use instead.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shouldn’t be that hard. Use a step ladder and hold the lower latch up into the slot and then screw it in. You could just be having difficulty with the supplied tool. Go to any hardware store and by a Torx 25 security bit that you can use instead.
You're absolutely correct that is should not be as difficult as it was.

I've rebuilt engines in less time (OK, that may be a slight exaggeration...).

As I said above (#39) -- "If the screws were maybe 3/4" longer installation would be FAR easier."

Then the screws could be loosened -- but not removed -- and the lower latch could be placed into the slot and the screws tightened. Simple.

As it is, the screws must be removed in order to get the latches into the slots, and getting them threaded back into the holes (blind) is a challenge. Even with another set of hands and using a step-ladder. The piece with the threaded hole has some sort of spring loading. The holes must be lined up and then held in perfect alignment while the second person tries to get the screw started -- without being able to see the hole.

It's fun for the whole family! :cool:
Sponsored