Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I have the same problem on my '21 OBX. Exhaust smell in cabin when idling. I can make it quit by pushing the Recirculate button on the climate control. Don't smell it when moving. I just picked it up from a second dealer. First dealer, where i bought it from said they didn't notice it. Second dealer says they smell it, but find no exhaust leaks. They tried to blame it on my K&N filter oil. I don't know where to turn next. Any ideas?
blamed it on my K&N filter oil LOL
Sponsored

Mi Carrito

First Name
Carmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just bought a 2021 BS Badlands with 30K miles. Beautiful condition and runs great. I love everything about this car … except the occasional smell of exhaust?? that is finding its way into the cabin interior. I’m sure that any stickers or whatever have long ago burned off so I know that’s not the issue. I’m thinking that the catalytic converter may be fouled or there is some kind of exhaust leak. Before I start chasing this thing. I thought I’d check here for advice. I want a clean smelling car!
Late in coming but I AGREE WITH ALL THIS: Are you sure it's not coming from a vehicle in front of you? My BSBL allows so much outside air into the cabin that if I'm behind a diesel I get a headache from the fumes or if someone is smoking weed in the car in front of me I'm looking for a dead skunk in the road. I'm now at the point that I reach for the recirculation button as if it's an automatic reflex whenever I see that I'm gonna be stuck behind a crappy work truck. Even the new and weird diesel smell gets through the vents and nauseates me.

It is definitely an issue of other car exhausts. Unfortunately pressing the button at the last minute does not help, you would have to anticipate other car's exhaust fumes way ahead. I open window and drive fast past exhaust offender to clear air inside my car.

OP
OP

Reed

Badlands
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Listen, I’ve driven behind other cars that smelled for OVER 50 YEARS. I know the difference between smells coming from other vehicles and smells coming from my own engine compartment.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Listen, I’ve driven behind other cars that smelled for OVER 50 YEARS. I know the difference between smells coming from other vehicles and smells coming from my own engine compartment.
I recognize my own exhaust too...

samyrae725

Big Bend
First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport
I have the same problem on my '21 OBX. Exhaust smell in cabin when idling. I can make it quit by pushing the Recirculate button on the climate control. Don't smell it when moving. I just picked it up from a second dealer. First dealer, where i bought it from said they didn't notice it. Second dealer says they smell it, but find no exhaust leaks. They tried to blame it on my K&N filter oil. I don't know where to turn next. Any ideas?
THIS!!! This is me! And how frustrating that the dang recirculate doesn’t stay on, so you keep getting blasted with toxic fumes until you push it again. I JUST got my car back last night, this has been ongoing for 6 months now. I thought it was all the cars in front of me, until I finally realized NOPE, it’s MY car tryin to kill me! So they replaced the fuel injectors (the latest in the MANY recalls) yesterday…NOPE. Still didn’t work. I am BEYOND frustrated with this bronco and can’t wait to get rid of it.

I did see someone mentioned some sort of flap on the rear of vehicle and the service guy I talked to today actually thought the same thing. It seems Ford would REALLY want to get this figured out before someone dies and they get a real lawsuit on their hands. It’s crazy. SO dangerous.
I’ll keep you posted on what, if anything works for me.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I posted on another thread that I was smelling exhaust in my cab. Don’t remember if I followed up on the other thread. However, to my surprise the Ford tech found poor welds on each side of my catalytic converter that had cracks and was the root cause. Mine was replaced under manufacturer warranty and all the previous small signs I ignored went away. The main one being that at first I only noticed it while idling.

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Mine just started having this same issue a few months ago. I’m currently at 52000 miles. Took the vehicle in for the injector recall, coolant loss once again and now exhaust smell. I used to have a 2014 ford flex with a similar issue. Would smell like exhaust once you get on the accelerator. Bronco sport smells when idling and ac/heater on. I’m surprised how many issues I’ve had with such low mileage. I’m really starting to consider getting rid of it now before it’s out of warranty and probably won’t ever get another ford again.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The “injector recall” as it’s been referred to isn’t even a true fix. The issue is potential for a crack in the cylinder head I believe. One of the signs is an increase smell in the cab of gasoline/exhaust.

The fix is 2-part. 1: a computer upload that should signal the driver to pull over and seek assistance 2: a drain tube is installed that should prevent any gasoline being sprayed into the engine bay.
Which still doesn’t fix anything, it simply reduces the percentage of an engine bay fire.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Exhaust smell?

Does this smell like unburned gasoline?
I am not sure what exhaust smell actually smells like.

An oil leak can create its own smell. I know what burning oil smells like. But, it is not this exhaust smell that others have noted.

I believe the “exhaust smell” is actually an oil leak.

samyrae725

Big Bend
First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport
There IS NO INJECTOR RECALL!!!
I guess tell that to my dealer who replaced 3 under “recall” so I wasn’t required to pay for that portion of my repairs. 🤷‍♀️ sorry to upset you, just stating what the service dept manager told me. Now onto the next “attempt to fix this junk vehicle” which I’m being made to pay for because somehow it’s my fault they built junk that’s literally dangerous, and could be fatal. Yeah, apparently the exhaust pouring into the cabin of broncos isn’t yet on the ever growing recall list. I wonder how many accidental deaths it will take before they do a recall on it. Apparently this exact thing happened with explorers back in the day, and they only figured it out after multiple cops were found passed out with carbon monoxide in their idling vehicles. 🤦🏼‍♀️

thanks for the correction tho. I hope you’re not personally dealing with this frustrating, dangerous situation.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Have you tried checking the exhaust system for leaks yourself? The safest way is using a shop-vac. Attach the shop-vac hose to the exhuast port of the shop-vac so air will blow out of the hose, insert the hose into one of the BS exhausts outlets and stuff a rag into the other exhaust outlet, you may need another person to help You will need a spray bottle with a soapy water mix to spray the various exhaust connections looking for bubbles when the shop-vac is turned on and blowing air into the exhaust system. Hopefully this will yield a positive result that will pin point the problem connection or other anomaly like a defective exhaust component.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I guess tell that to my dealer who replaced 3 under “recall” so I wasn’t required to pay for that portion of my repairs. 🤷‍♀️ sorry to upset you, just stating what the service dept manager told me.
The only thing that upsets me is the constant misinformation put forth by folks (in this case the service manager) regarding an actual recall for cracked fuel injectors, There isn't one. There is however the Customer Satisfaction Program 22N18 which can be found here: MC-10233848-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov). I do hope they can figure out what the problem is with your vehicle. Cheers!
Sponsored