Driver View from Windshield

First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
Hi everyone,

I plan to buy a 2022 Bronco Sport Badland, and I went to a test drive last week; I have this wired experience/feeling; hope everyone can share your opinion with me.

My current car is Land Rover Freelander (FL) 2002, and I am 5'8" (176 cm); when I sit on driver seat after I adjusted seat position, I feel my view as a driver becomes narrow if comparing with my current car. View from BL is narrow (vertical-wise); for example, if I park my FL in front of a house, I can see two floors, but with BL, I can see one and half, the top half of second floor , I cannot see.

Does anyone has same or similar feeling?

Also, the rear view mirror I feel is keeping dropping; before I drove the car, I adjusted it to make sure I can see entire back window; during the drive, I sense that mirror keep dropping down, and I only see partial of back window.

My last question is, are there any difference, except horsepower, when driving Outer Bank and BL? All my dealers in my city has all models except BL; so I cannot feel the BL; for the view and rear-view-mirror concerns I have, do you think I will feel the same when driving BL, or even become worse?

I appreciate all feedback of comments from everyone; I really would like to buy a BL, but view concerns from test drive hesitate my decision; otherwise I will sign the agreement with dealer.

Thanks.

Pei
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I cannot help much other than to say I have driven both BL and OB and I do not feel a difference in the view from the front windshield or the rear view mirror. Also, I set the mirror and it has never moved like you described.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I test drove the OB and ordered a BL. I don’t recall exactly the OB now for the concerns you describe, but the windshield is physically the same and the seats must be too, or at least the seat structure (the covers are different).

Could it be that you have the seat higher than you might otherwise? Even if the freelander I think has a pretty high roof too. The BS has such a high roof that it’s easy to put the seat higher than you might otherwise do. & I’ve found playing with the seat position is more critical in this car for comfort than I’ve had in others. Initially I had it set what I thought was good but it appeared I was too high up so the top of the windshield it was hard to see traffic lights, & I think that extra height led to some of my odd seat concerns. I haven’t had the mirror move on mine as you describe though.

Good luck in your search & decision! I see you’re in Calgary as well. Yes, not a BL to be had on the lot here, hardly a Sport at all.

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Could it be that you have the seat higher than you might otherwise?
That's the first thing to check, easy to overlook..........

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I've never noticed the mirror in my car moving on it's own. Is it possible you got the only haunted car? :crazy:

The Badlands suspension includes different springs and shocks that provide a one-inch (or so) lift over the other models. You may notice the ride is a bit softer, and you'll get a bit more body roll in sharp turns. Other than that, I don't believe you'll notice any difference in visibility between the models.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Having owned an OB and a BL, I can say the ride is almost identical with no noticeable difference.

Melzz

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Regarding visibility, I’ve only had mine for a few days but it’s definitely less than what I am used to. It definitely feels like I have less window real estate to look through than my old Liberty. Nothing that would have changed my mind about the purchase, though.

Thunderpuppy

Badlands
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
In my wife’s BL, I’ve definitely noticed what you’re describing. I’m 6’5” and have a hard time finding the perfect seat adjustment. All of the extra “nanny“ hardware around the rear view mirror blocks a lot of windshield real estate.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
I think your issue is more vehicle design changes since 2002. If you look at vehicles from then vs now you'll notice shorter more angled windshields as well as shorter and smaller side and rear windows as well. It comes down to safety rating, aerodynamics for fuel economy, and lets face it, glass is heavy. Comparing our '22 BSBL to our '08 mariner (essentially an escape) there is definitely less glass real estate, but you'll see the same thing in other vehicles as well. What I can tell you though is I've never felt as if the bronco sport has bad blind spots, to be honest, quiet the opposite in my opinion. (for comparison I'm 5'7)

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Unless you're a bird watcher, why would you want to see the second story? My mirror is rock solid until I adjust it. The BL has a 2.0 engine and the others have 1.5 L engines. The 1.5 probably gets better gas mileage, but I wanted the tow capacity.

OP
OP
First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
I test drove the OB and ordered a BL. I don’t recall exactly the OB now for the concerns you describe, but the windshield is physically the same and the seats must be too, or at least the seat structure (the covers are different).

Could it be that you have the seat higher than you might otherwise? Even if the freelander I think has a pretty high roof too. The BS has such a high roof that it’s easy to put the seat higher than you might otherwise do. & I’ve found playing with the seat position is more critical in this car for comfort than I’ve had in others. Initially I had it set what I thought was good but it appeared I was too high up so the top of the windshield it was hard to see traffic lights, & I think that extra height led to some of my odd seat concerns. I haven’t had the mirror move on mine as you describe though.

Good luck in your search & decision! I see you’re in Calgary as well. Yes, not a BL to be had on the lot here, hardly a Sport at all.
Well, I guess I just joined BL family in Calgary; placed an order last week; dealer said I may get it before Xmas, but few people here said that way to optimistic; I could get it in next Feb/Mar. Deal said I can even get it faster if I choose black or grey; but I chose blue.

OP
OP
First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
I think your issue is more vehicle design changes since 2002. If you look at vehicles from then vs now you'll notice shorter more angled windshields as well as shorter and smaller side and rear windows as well. It comes down to safety rating, aerodynamics for fuel economy, and lets face it, glass is heavy. Comparing our '22 BSBL to our '08 mariner (essentially an escape) there is definitely less glass real estate, but you'll see the same thing in other vehicles as well. What I can tell you though is I've never felt as if the bronco sport has bad blind spots, to be honest, quiet the opposite in my opinion. (for comparison I'm 5'7)
The sales person from my dealer said the same. Now even I do not like it, I have to like it, just placed BL last week. Fingers cross for receiving it before Xmas.

OP
OP
First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
Regarding visibility, I’ve only had mine for a few days but it’s definitely less than what I am used to. It definitely feels like I have less window real estate to look through than my old Liberty. Nothing that would have changed my mind about the purchase, though.
I followed your step, order for a BL was placed last week.

OP
OP
First Name
Pei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS 2023 Badland
Unless you're a bird watcher, why would you want to see the second story? My mirror is rock solid until I adjust it. The BL has a 2.0 engine and the others have 1.5 L engines. The 1.5 probably gets better gas mileage, but I wanted the tow capacity.
My thought is same, Safty > Power > Fuel, so I ordered a BL last week.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Well, I guess I just joined BL family in Calgary; placed an order last week; dealer said I may get it before Xmas, but few people here said that way to optimistic; I could get it in next Feb/Mar. Deal said I can even get it faster if I choose black or grey; but I chose blue.
Enjoy & good luck with the wait. Yes, with timelines now, they don’t start producing 23’s until later on in the year now so that will be a wait just to get in line there. Which blue? They all look nice.
Sponsored