Do you use autostart?

• Total voters

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm considering it. AAA estimate it can save between 3%-7% on gas, which means, according to my crappy math, that using it would extend a tank of gas like what 20 miles maybe and thats roughly a gallon of gas in my car and thats like what $7?

Looks like Edmunds puts that number closer to 10%
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

So if I use it I could potentially be saving around $30/mo?

I am a person who doesn't like this feature, but with gas prices being what they are and inflation being what it is, I'm considering not turning it off every time to save that bit of cash that I could spend on other things... like beer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I'm considering it. AAA estimate it can save between 3%-7% on gas, which means, according to my crappy math, that using it would extend a tank of gas like what 20 miles maybe and thats roughly a tank of gas in my car and thats like what $7?

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

I am a person who doesn't like this feature, but with gas prices being what they are and inflation being what it is, I'm considering not turning it off every time to save that bit of cash that I could spend on other things... like beer.
Everything in life seems to have it's trade offs
"they give you this, but you pay for that" - Neil Young, My My, Hey Hey
the trade off
starter engagements
normal back in the day
one and done
auto stop/start
sky is the limit
bendix/starter/flywheel multiple usage time
everything comes with a cost

Ford Bronco Sport Do you use autostart? 1655835300833

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I use it and rarely even notice it. My wife has a Cheep and hers is really rough off/on quite annoying. The sport is very subtle and most of the time if I didn't look at the dash to see the green A I'd have no idea it shut down. I'm sure long term it may prove disadvantageous to the motor...who knows.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I use it on my Badlands but in this south Texas heat, it does not engage very often during daytime.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I try to turn it off whenever I can because I find it really annoying, especially the little jerk in the steering wheel as the power steering shuts down. I have a hard enough time putting on miles to just keep my battery charged and the annoying "Remote features disabled" message off my Ford Pass app and having the engine constantly shutting down doesn't help.

Before I started driving an extra 30 miles a week, which seems to be enough to recharge the battery, the low battery warnings would also disable autostart. Now that I don't get the warnings I have to remember to hit the button.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i never used it until this past month. but since gas prices are silly, i've been in eco mode and auto shutoff engaged ever since.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
If I'm stuck in traffic and constantly moving and then stopping, I'll turn it off. Otherwise I usually leave it on.

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Have any studies been done on the wear and tear this feature puts on your starter, etc.???

I had a BMW X6 with this feature and I NEVER noticed it turn on or off...it was that smooth. I can feel it in my BS. Another thing about my BMW was that I could turn it off and on...why Ford didn't allow this is beyond me. Probably because of the Govt.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I'll turn it off in traffic but otherwise it's on. I hate idling. It's wasteful. Save the dino juice.

OP
OP
AmazingSieve

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I use it and rarely even notice it. My wife has a Cheep and hers is really rough off/on quite annoying. The sport is very subtle and most of the time if I didn't look at the dash to see the green A I'd have no idea it shut down. I'm sure long term it may prove disadvantageous to the motor...who knows.
I agree, Ford did a decent job with it. As soon as you lift up on the break it goes.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'm considering it. AAA estimate it can save between 3%-7% on gas, which means, according to my crappy math, that using it would extend a tank of gas like what 20 miles maybe and thats roughly a tank of gas in my car and thats like what $7?

No. My car is in my garage. Not looking for carbon monoxide in the house