Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Is DIY ceramic coating a good idea or a bad idea?
Any product recommendations?
Thanks,
Joe in NH
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've used the meguiar's ceramic coating. Easy to apply and for my money is an easy to use wax. I plan to use it on the next wash. Meguiar's ceramic
Spray it on a wet wash, wipe it with a wet microfiber cloth, spray off the excess. Done.

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used the meguiar's ceramic coating. Easy to apply and for my money is an easy to use wax. I plan to use it on the next wash. Meguiar's ceramic
Spray it on a wet wash, wipe it with a wet microfiber cloth, spray off the excess. Done.
Thanks Mike, I'm gonna check that out.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks Mike, I'm gonna check that out.
I've always used meguiar's products, stumbled on it last year at an autozone. Went on quick and easy, and paint really glowed. Water has nice tight beads. It's worth a shot.
*Looking at their website they have a pro series that looks to be more of a paste and rubs on/buffs off. I may order a 16oz and try that next

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Thanks,
Joe in NH
I use TORQUE seems to give a very strong finish that works well. A little on the pricey side but I would buy again. I think I payed 39.00 for a bottle but got a deal 3 bottle for 79.00. Great product

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’m trying some c2v3 from gtechnique, a buddy of mine who details cars on the side swears by it…

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I’m trying some c2v3 from gtechnique, a buddy of mine who details cars on the side swears by it…
I'd say the pros have a lot of experience. I am by no means discrediting it's effectiveness, but I'd be sure to have clear instructions and guidance on how to use it properly. It could be really simple... honestly no clue. Let us know how it goes I'm always open to new products.

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say the pros have a lot of experience. I am by no means discrediting it's effectiveness, but I'd be sure to have clear instructions and guidance on how to use it properly. It could be really simple... honestly no clue. Let us know how it goes I'm always open to new products.

OP
OP
Kodiakbear

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks,
Joe in NH
Since my BS will only be a few weeks old when I get it, would it be a good idea not to seal the paint until a reasonable paint cure time? Anybody know what that might be?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Since my BS will only be a few weeks old when I get it, would it be a good idea not to seal the paint until a reasonable paint cure time? Anybody know what that might be?
I looked into that as well, considering mine was delivered from the train. I would guess you are like me, old 'enough' to recall new paint taking time to cure before applying wax. I held off for a month JUST to be sure, but all the information I researched, new paint these days is produced, applied, and cured much differently and it's considered safe to wax the day you pick it up. Some sites even recommend waxing it after the first wash as soon as possible to begin protection from the elements. I'd say you are safe to wax it now, I waited a month because...well I'm different :) I'd say do what you feel comfortable with.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

pdmalski

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS Heritage Ltd, 2022 Golf R, 2022 Vette
For those that did their own ceramic coating, did you also coat the plastic bumpers and rockers and fender trim??

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
For those that did their own ceramic coating, did you also coat the plastic bumpers and rockers and fender trim??
I used CeraKote Trim for mine and so far it is pretty nice. I used a 7 year ceramic coating on the paint, but that is a whole other animal.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
The ceramic coating the comes in a spray bottle is really just a better wax. Using it after each wash could eventually build a coating layer, but it would take many applications. The coating that you apply with an applicator is what you want. These should come in 2-4oz glass bottles. The trick with these coating is getting the paint super clean, before applying the first coat. That's means you should clay bar the car, even if it's brand new. You need to get the old wax off, before application. After applying a coating, the spray bottles work nicely to keep the coating working well. Doing a really good job on a car, almost requires a clean room environment. You don't want dust to settle on a fresh coat of ceramic coating.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl