Distribution Recovery Link

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I come from a long line of Mustangs, Accords, and Eclipses. Street tuning a vehicle and doing 'street things' has been my home for a looong time. This is my first true offroad vehicle. I have some experience offroading in California, when I was younger, with some experienced people that I learned a few things here and ther, but really have never gotten to practice in the flatlands of South Florida.

I do run the risk of getting caught in muddy swamp water if I do venture off road here, though. IN that regard, I was wondering if this Distribution support would be ideal for the front tow hooks if I ever needed to be pulled out?

Overland Vehicle Systems 19250005 (summitracing.com)
Sponsored

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Someone with recovery experience can correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but seems overkill to me. I havenā€™t done any vehicle recovery, but I rig a lot of things to winches and chain hoists.

I think a simple tow strap bridled to the winch line or kinetic recovery rope is fine. I think rigging plates like these only come into play with more complicated self winching scenarios. I think to really need that piece of hardware youā€™d need a winch, anchors, and a snatch block.

I carry a 5/8ā€x20ā€™ kinetic rope, 20ā€™ tow strap, a couple spansets and shackles. Tow strap to make a nice long bridle on the tow hooks, spansets in case I need to grab some other part of my vehicle or someone elseā€™s

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone with recovery experience can correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but seems overkill to me. I havenā€™t done any vehicle recovery, but I rig a lot of things to winches and chain hoists.

I think a simple tow strap bridled to the winch line or kinetic recovery rope is fine. I think rigging plates like these only come into play with more complicated self winching scenarios. I think to really need that piece of hardware youā€™d need a winch, anchors, and a snatch block.

I carry a 5/8ā€x20ā€™ kinetic rope, 20ā€™ tow strap, a couple spansets and shackles. Tow strap to make a nice long bridle on the tow hooks, spansets in case I need to grab some other part of my vehicle or someone elseā€™s
I appreciate the feedback. Im sure it wouldn't have worked out the way I was imagining it my head, which was as a simple way to leverage "pull torque" across both hooks rather than one. But like you say, there are better ways to do that.

I think my first purchase will be recovery boards (again, its really about mud and swamp here, more than anything else). Then a kinetic rope will probably be next on the list to fill my recovery bag.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I did get my OffRodeo acceptance, and am eagerly planning on going to hopefully learn a few things. I'm leaning towards Austin.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
FWIW, I did get my OffRodeo acceptance, and am eagerly planning on going to hopefully learn a few things. I'm leaning towards Austin.
Just to throw this outā€¦ I had a great time driving around at the Texas Off-Roadeo. But we did not do any recovery training or demonstrations.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Yeah, using a bridle with fixed length legs helps when you need to maintain alignment. Using a sliding bridle does a better job of distributing loads when things arenā€™t aligned perfectly.

A tow strap run from one hook, through the pull line, to the other hook will self adjust to a large degree. Youā€™ll keep some load on both hooks, even if you arenā€™t pulling straight inline. With fixed legs, if either vehicle turns enough, one leg will go totally slack.

Also, the longer your bridle, the less extra load youā€™re adding.
Ford Bronco Sport Distribution Recovery Link IMG_0532

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would be very careful about adding ANY metallic objects to a recovery rope/strap. These can become deadly missiles if a tow line breaks. If you need to increase leverage on a tow line then I would look at a pulley system that's designed for the task. Even then, I would be very careful about how the pulley is rigged to reduce/eliminate the danger posed by a snapped tow line.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to throw this outā€¦ I had a great time driving around at the Texas Off-Roadeo. But we did not do any recovery training or demonstrations.
Hmmm...I'm going to have to rexamine the different locations and what it is they offer at each, specficallly.

Thank you.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, using a bridle with fixed length legs helps when you need to maintain alignment. Using a sliding bridle does a better job of distributing loads when things arenā€™t aligned perfectly.

A tow strap run from one hook, through the pull line, to the other hook will self adjust to a large degree. Youā€™ll keep some load on both hooks, even if you arenā€™t pulling straight inline. With fixed legs, if either vehicle turns enough, one leg will go totally slack.

Also, the longer your bridle, the less extra load youā€™re adding.
Ford Bronco Sport Distribution Recovery Link IMG_0532
This is some great info and diagram. Thank you!
Sponsored