Delay in power delivery

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This method works on other Ecoboost Fords. You can try recalibratiing the accelerator.
1. Press the start button so it's in the on position, don't start the engine
2. Press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor slowly
3. Let the accerator pedal come up quickly
4. Press the start button again to turn off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times
6. Start the engine and enjoy the drive, there should be a difference
Tried this and the lag is now just a bit of expected turbo lag. Much better. Thanks for the heads up!
Sponsored

cxp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A couple things.

• I don't recommend using Shell with ecoboost engines. There are problems with inconsistency and it gets worse in the heat. All of the tuners for mustang ecoboosts advise against Shell as it has very poor performance. The additive package they use doesn't work well for these engines.
  • Use 91 octane or higher in the summer. Heat will cause more knock and cause the engine's to pull timing. 91 or higher will give more resistance to knock in summer and give you better response and consistency.
  • I use Valero 91 all the time and it's one of the best, but Speedway is fine.. QT is ok,... really just don't use Shell.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This method works on other Ecoboost Fords. You can try recalibratiing the accelerator.
1. Press the start button so it's in the on position, don't start the engine
2. Press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor slowly
3. Let the accerator pedal come up quickly
4. Press the start button again to turn off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times
6. Start the engine and enjoy the drive, there should be a difference
It's crazy how stuff like these "cheat codes" work. I had drop windows on my last car and when it started having issues there was a similar pattern except with window buttons instead of accelerator pedals. Push down, hold 30 seconds, power off, window up 15 seconds power off, touch your nose three times and spell imagination...and the window was reset. At least with that trick you could visibly see the window work properly again. Electronics, it's just crazy how this stuff works.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
A couple things.

• I don't recommend using Shell with ecoboost engines. There are problems with inconsistency and it gets worse in the heat. All of the tuners for mustang ecoboosts advise against Shell as it has very poor performance. The additive package they use doesn't work well for these engines.
  • Use 91 octane or higher in the summer. Heat will cause more knock and cause the engine's to pull timing. 91 or higher will give more resistance to knock in summer and give you better response and consistency.
  • I use Valero 91 all the time and it's one of the best, but Speedway is fine.. QT is ok,... really just don't use Shell.
I live in Florida & have used nothing but Shell fuel, 87 octane with no problems in any of my Cars, Trucks ,Motorcycles , Lawn mowers ,or Generators etc. . My 1.5 Eco boost BS runs just fine . High altitude may be different & may need adjustments .

cxp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I live in Florida & have used nothing but Shell fuel, 87 octane with no problems in any of my Cars, Trucks ,Motorcycles , Lawn mowers ,or Generators etc. . My 1.5 Eco boost BS runs just fine . High altitude may be different & may need adjustments .
yes it runs “fine” but it is not optimal for heat. There is a significant power drop with heat although I’m suspicious the 2.0 might be more susceptible than the 1.5… not sure. Shell caused major hesitation and inconsistency in my mustang (AZ 110 heat) like the OP described where there was major delay and weird behavior. Power would cut out part way up and then come back on.
When I got off Shell, the problem went away and the car was more consistent. ForMy Badlands I’m using Valero and have no hesitation even at 110 heat and heat soak conditions.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We're in a heat wave here, 114 yesterday and I don't have this problem.

cxp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
We're in a heat wave here, 114 yesterday and I don't have this problem.
Arizona? What state? What engine?

I forgot to add, the fuel quality is way different state to state. CA, AZ, NV is worst.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I tried this on my 2018 F150 2.7L when I had it, I didn't notice any difference, maybe some will.
I just tried this and a short test drive seems to be shifting faster. Previously I had a stutter with slow take offs from a stop. Second gear is so close to third it almost feels like s stutter.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A couple things.

I agree with CXP that it's probably a fuel issue. If the folks experiencing the problem are buying pump regular fuel above 5000 ft, the octane rating is too low, possibly as low as 84, but generally 85 or 86. EcoBoost needs 87 octane as a minimum (according to the owners manual). I live in NM at 5500 feet and need to purchase at least mid-grade to get 87 octane fuel. On the ecoBoost, it really makes a difference, more pronounced at higher ambient temps. The ecoBoost probably has a knock sensor and all it needs is to "hear" one ping (such as may occur during a full-throttle acceleration from idle) and the PCM retards the for several comustion events, which means no torque output and limited acceleration. The knock sensor is designed to protect the engine ......even if it scares the heck out of the driver.

Do as CXP suggests: run mid-grade or higher at altitude. Maybe even at lower elevations at high ambient temps.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Arizona? What state? What engine?

I forgot to add, the fuel quality is way different state to state. CA, AZ, NV is worst.
In Arizona with the 1.5 liter engine. 86 Octane only.

cxp

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not good, that’s under spec so you will definitely have low power in summer. Also lots of engine corrections… knock sensors will be busy.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Owners manual says the engine is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 87. The recomended octane for best performance is 91 octane or higher. Also recomended is top tier detergent gasoline.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My experiences have been you take off from a light, press the gas, no revs, just no initial throttle response. And when rolling about 35 to 40mph or whatever, you gradually press the gas to overtake and pass someone, it fails to respond initially causing you to press further down on the pedal, then the system goes oh, driver wants more power, then it kicks in causing an rpm burst and then acceleration. Mine experience has been with the 1.5, 2.3, 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost engines from 2011 models and newer.
Ford used to say their transmissions adapted (learned) to a drivers style. Sounds like they still might. If I pass someone I don't ease into it but I don't poke around either.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just returned from an unusually hot week at altitude in Boulder Colorado and experienced the same turbo lag for the first (and second time).

The first time was during a series of switch-backs on Flagstaff Rd around 7k feet in elevation. As i slowed down to take a very hard right turn going uphill, I had to mash the accelerator to get the 2.0L Bronco to accelerate minimally and not come to a near complete stop. It was approximately 97 degrees with zero wind. No traffic thankfully. That's a dangerous road with fast drivers and roadies mixed together.

The second time was driving in traffic in the town of Boulder , around 5k feet in elevation, also around 97 degrees ambient temp. From a complete stop I started to take a left hand turn during a blinking yellow and absolutely nothing happened when i stepped on the accelerator. I had to brake and wait for another traffic opening. My passenger could feel the lack of acceleration and started to panic. As did I.

My conclusion was that the 2.0L does not like the combination of high and hot. It led me to wonder if the transmission was starting off in too high of a gear and if using the manual option would be safer in these circumstances. I started to use manual mode when pulling into traffic as we fished the rivers along the mountain road pull-off parking spots throughout the week. But i wasn't forced to really test that theory.

This is the first time I've considered whether a tune would decrease turbo lag overall and possibly change the shift points. The performance increase would merely be a bonus.

Daniel
Were you in sport mode?
Sponsored