Commute times and distances - Best/Worst

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
A tangent on another thread led me down a bit of a rabbit hole looking for the 'current' worst municipal areas for traffic.

I found this study by a non profit.

https://www.llc.org/worst-commutes-in-america/

According to this study, I spend close to 10 days a year in a car, waiting in traffic on my commute to and from work in Miami. Thank God, I mostly work from home. Based on this study, I would say I'm 3-4 days a year in a car going to/from work and then another 3/4 days a year in a car, chauffeuring my kid around to her different events 😅

Ford Bronco Sport Commute times and distances - Best/Worst 1716581678718-ov
Sponsored

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I lived in NYC most of my life and until my 30s I would just ride the train or bike to work. (number 2 worst on the list) Then I got my driver's license and I would drive to work in Brooklyn sometimes. About 10 miles so it would be under an hour one way.
Now I live in NJ and still go into BK like a maniac. Which involves driving 30 miles to jersey city (number 3 on the list) park and then the PATH train to WTC and 2 MTA trains. I'll go in with my wife and she opts riding her Brompton from the PATH and not bother with the MTA. I also have an option of a bus that goes from my house into Manhattan which I almost always prefer, Can be a few minutes faster too but it's more expensive than driving if it's both of us going in.
It's like 90 minutes one way, at best. The driving part has almost no traffic and the trains are the best in the country (smartest kid on that short bus). The commute is multi-modal so it doesn't feel that long. Let's see for how long more I can manage like this!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lived in NYC most of my life and until my 30s I would just ride the train or bike to work. (number 2 worst on the list) Then I got my driver's license and I would drive to work in Brooklyn sometimes. About 10 miles so it would be under an hour one way.
Now I live in NJ and still go into BK like a maniac. Which involves driving 30 miles to jersey city (number 3 on the list) park and then the PATH train to WTC and 2 MTA trains. I'll go in with my wife and she opts riding her Brompton from the PATH and not bother with the MTA. I also have an option of a bus that goes from my house into Manhattan which I almost always prefer, Can be a few minutes faster too but it's more expensive than driving if it's both of us going in.
It's like 90 minutes one way, at best. The driving part has almost no traffic and the trains are the best in the country (smartest kid on that short bus). The commute is multi-modal so it doesn't feel that long. Let's see for how long more I can manage like this!
I was actually born in NE Jersey. I’ve just been in Miami since I was about 3. But I’ve always had a lot of friends and family in the NY/NJ metro area and have been there PLENTY. The traffic is definitely as bad as Los Angeles. I remember one time on a Sunday in Midtown, it literally took me an hour just to round the block. Had a similar experience in Washington DC; a hour to round a block!

The only difference is that, like you stated, there are more options in New York for public transportation. In LA, just like Miami, you’re mostly forced to use your car. Chicago is another God awful area. Trying to drive “into the city” from any of the surrounding areas is almost a guaranteed hour and a half.

In order to be successful, cities has to invest in public transportation, and literally force drivers out of their cars.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
if aliens were watching our morning commutes.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My commute is 25 miles, I don't need to jump on and off various transit systems for my commute. I do drive and when bad it can take an hour to do the first 10 miles. During peak Covid I go door to door under 30 minutes and with very few on the hwy some would drive very fast including myself going 100 mph or so for short blasts.

Wotan

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badland
So you think your morning commute is bad. Have a look at some of these places.
I think of this video when I am stuck in LA traffic in my Bronco listening to music. It makes the drive easier.

Last edited:

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
So you think your morning commute is bad. Have a look at some of these places.
I think of this video when I am stuck in LA traffic in my Bronco listening to music. It makes the drive easier.

Now imagine all these people are in a car with average of 1.2 person per vehicle. So it's just the opposite for me. When I am stuck in traffic I think about how I'd rather be somewhere else.
At least with a train you have options to get out or wait for another one or take a local that will be less crowded.

Mike_n_Texas

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
For 4 years I drove 95ish miles a day across Houston. My Focus ST racked up the miles way too fast. That was usually an hour drive in the morning, and hour-45 (assuming no wreck) on the drive home.

However, my commute for the last 3 years is 1 mile. 1/2 mile to work, and the long 1/2 mile journey home.

OP
OP
gatornek

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For 4 years I drove 95ish miles a day across Houston. My Focus ST racked up the miles way too fast. That was usually an hour drive in the morning, and hour-45 (assuming no wreck) on the drive home.

However, my commute for the last 3 years is 1 mile. 1/2 mile to work, and the long 1/2 mile journey home.
My longest commute was similar. I've always lived in the "southwest" portion of Miami-Dade. So anytime I've had to head North, its been bad. I once had a GREAT job with FDOT (Fl Dept of Transportation); but it was in Pompano Beach...a similar to yours 50 mile hike each way. I was so fortunate to have that job at that age. I was hired strictly for being a veteran. Great benefits. Flexible hours so I could go to school. Good pay.

I had to quit after 6 months. I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Today, I'm pretty much a 'remote worker'; although I do go to the office every so often.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

I've read that reducing commute time by 30 minutes is worth $20k/yr in salary.

Mike_n_Texas

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
I've read that reducing commute time by 30 minutes is worth $20k/yr in salary.
I would say that is a pretty accurate statement.
For cost of travel I kept track of my fuel and toll expenses over that time, just for my own personal curiosity. I averaged around $500 a month in gas and $200 a month in tolls.
Then factor in your mental cost of dealing with lunatic Houston drivers 5 or 6 days a week…

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf Sportwagen, 2023 BS Badlands
My last few years in Massachusetts I was easily commuting 3hrs a day. That was 1 waking day a week commuting. A typical year meant around 45 days a year commuting.
Sponsored