Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport badlands
So, the last two days I've been driving full size broncos. I'm ready to upgrade my 21 BS badlands and the only reason, honestly, is due to clearance. I've got 245/70/17's Road Cruza RA1100 and they are awesome, no rubbing. But, I want bigger tires/more clearance so I've been looking at full size. (the plan was always to replace the BS with a Bronco at trade in time)
However...As I off road a lot (My youtube channel is "Low Range in Nova Scotia") if I get a full size, I get more clearance...but wait, the diffs don't lock, and it has 3.73's, no bash plates, on and on. So a "base" bronco is actually less capable than a BS badlands! Ok, went up to big bend, same thing, you get the 4.47 locking rear but if you want the 4.70's you need the $8000 Sas package.
Grrr, so pricing them all out to what I want...it's actually cheaper to get a badlands bronco, than anything lower and try to upfit it. Tried a wildtrac.....holy crap it has soft mushy suspension for going over trails at 75mph, but 25mph weaving around traffic?? Nope!

On the way home I'm thinking to myself..all of this is because I don't have the clearance I want with the BS...what if I concentrate on the issue directly??
So, is there a "badlands compatible" lift kit? I see the HRG is for everything but badlands, anything else out there?
Next question is...if I lift it 1" or 2" or 5", can I get a bigger tire under it and how big is maximum if lifted?

(here's my latest)
Sponsored

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Goinbroke2:

I have a BS Badlands with the Ford Ranger Lifts Kit that RSH refrenced. I definitely ride higher and LOVE the way it drives now. Would definitely do again.

I'm getting a full set of JCR Offroad Under Armor as well (still waiting for two parts). That will impact my clearance.

Then I plan to start offroading.

I know Meanderthal lifted his but I think it was a different kit (look for the thread regarding Olive).

I don't think you are going to get away from your current tire sizes though without rubbing.

Happy Trails...

RR

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Goinbroke2:

I have a BS Badlands with the Ford Ranger Lifts Kit that RSH refrenced. I definitely ride higher and LOVE the way it drives now. Would definitely do again.

I'm getting a full set of JCR Offroad Under Armor as well (still waiting for two parts). That will impact my clearance.

Then I plan to start offroading.

I know Meanderthal lifted his but I think it was a different kit (look for the thread regarding Olive).

I don't think you are going to get away from your current tire sizes though without rubbing.

Happy Trails...

RR
I have the HRG lift kit for my Badlands. No issues at all and a quality product. I am in the process of changing everything out to a set of the Flatout Suspension coil overs. I have ordered a subframe drop kit from HRG and that should be coming next week.

To the OP, because of where the rubbing happens with bigger tires, you can’t get a lot bigger than the stock size. Somewhere around a 29.5” tire is the limit where rubbing will happen. It only happens with some suspension compression and the wheels turned. The rubbing will happen at the back lower section of the front wheel wells. There is a substantial pinch weld seam there, which is what makes contact with the tire. Okay really the first contact is made by the fender liner but that is hardly worth mentioning.

Some of the early modifiers decided that they could cut that pinch weld seam. They were approaching the BS like they had “body on frame” vehicles in the past. Cutting that pinch weld seam is the equivalent of cutting into the frame. It would change the structural integrity, crash worthiness, of the vehicle.

I think right now @Jrl probably has the best combination, which happens to be a little larger in diameter that what I said above, at 235/70/17. The narrower width seems to have made it possible to get a slightly larger diameter. My next set of tires will probably be 235/70, some for the extra diameter and some because a narrower tire will cut into snow better.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the responses!!
Heading out the door but will research the place in Las Vegas.

I do want bigger tires but perhaps a lift would make up for some of that. I was just under the impression you couldn’t lift a badlands.

great guys, thanks again!!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Unfortunately, you can’t change it enough to make a huge difference. As others have said, all the lifts will not significantly change what size tire you can use. It is what it is and is great for what it is but a body on frame SUV it’s not.

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Goinbroke2:

My imression is roughly this. If your not running spacers, you can safely go to 245/65/17's (I believe you said you are 245/70/17's, if that is working without rubbing awesome)!

If you are running 1" Spacers and you want to avoid rubbing, you are likely looking at 235/65/17's. I believe Meanderthal ran 245/70/17's, but he went to a smaller wheel/rimmer to do so and he still encountered some rubbing.

However, I should also mention delm's post entitled "255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there...."

delm seemed to know what he is doing, and stated the tires were not rubbing. I confess they look incredible.

I'm a data analyst, so I'm likely the least knowledgeable one here in this regard but if you do want to go to the 255/70/17 route, I would advise you look at the impact on the weight of the wheels and tires at each point. I think it was like a 60% increase in weight per tire. Maybe you aren't in an area where you do high speed driving, or maybe you don't care about he impact on maintenance, etc. Just thought i would mention it. I added spacers in ingnorance of what it would do and just got lucky that everything seems to have worked out (at least for now, some have suggested I'm driving on borrowed time).

I really wanted to pull off a 245/65/17, but have bolt on fenders and believe I "need" my 1" spacer to get the look I want. After ALOT of research, I decided that for how I drive (that's a big caveat, lots of long drives at high speed) the 235/65/17's are where I need to stay.

Anyway, happy trails my friend. Continue to post pics/updates.

RR

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Goinbroke2:

My imression is roughly this. If your not running spacers, you can safely go to 245/65/17's (I believe you said you are 245/70/17's, if that is working without rubbing awesome)!

If you are running 1" Spacers and you want to avoid rubbing, you are likely looking at 235/65/17's. I believe Meanderthal ran 245/70/17's, but he went to a smaller wheel/rimmer to do so and he still encountered some rubbing.

However, I should also mention delm's post entitled "255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there...."

delm seemed to know what he is doing, and stated the tires were not rubbing. I confess they look incredible.

I'm a data analyst, so I'm likely the least knowledgeable one here in this regard but if you do want to go to the 255/70/17 route, I would advise you look at the impact on the weight of the wheels and tires at each point. I think it was like a 60% increase in weight per tire. Maybe you aren't in an area where you do high speed driving, or maybe you don't care about he impact on maintenance, etc. Just thought i would mention it. I added spacers in ingnorance of what it would do and just got lucky that everything seems to have worked out (at least for now, some have suggested I'm driving on borrowed time).

I really wanted to pull off a 245/65/17, but have bolt on fenders and believe I "need" my 1" spacer to get the look I want. After ALOT of research, I decided that for how I drive (that's a big caveat, lots of long drives at high speed) the 235/65/17's are where I need to stay.

Anyway, happy trails my friend. Continue to post pics/updates.

RR
I’m with you Rodney, for the small amount of improvement, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses guys! I drove 9 full size broncos in the last 4 days. What I found is that I want a 2dr with sasquach package. I also found out that the 23 orders are filled. Also found out that the one I want 23 bronco big bend with sas pack but it's in Alberta Canada and I'm in NS. Nobody will ship etc........:confused:

So I'm sitting at the dealership and am parked beside a BS that definately is higher than mine??? Well, I have small winter tires on...nope, it has a lift kit from the factory! Brand new, on the lot, not ordered for somebody, just a vehicle for their stock.
Found out its from Rough Country (which I heard here is not good) and that installed at the dealership is less than $1000!!!
So I ordered it and my appointment to get it installed is 14th of April!!

Thanks for all the input guys, yes even as a retired mechanic of 36 years, I'm getting the dealership to install. For $500 or whatever? I ain't rolling in the dirt for that!! LOL!!

I'll take before/after pic's etc.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted it on the wrong thread....but....here it is!
Edit, had to fix it as the music was messed up and it was missing the last 45 seconds or so... anyway, here is the corrected version.

Last edited:

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
So, the last two days I've been driving full size broncos. I'm ready to upgrade my 21 BS badlands and the only reason, honestly, is due to clearance. I've got 245/70/17's Road Cruza RA1100 and they are awesome, no rubbing. But, I want bigger tires/more clearance so I've been looking at full size. (the plan was always to replace the BS with a Bronco at trade in time)
However...As I off road a lot (My youtube channel is "Low Range in Nova Scotia") if I get a full size, I get more clearance...but wait, the diffs don't lock, and it has 3.73's, no bash plates, on and on. So a "base" bronco is actually less capable than a BS badlands! Ok, went up to big bend, same thing, you get the 4.47 locking rear but if you want the 4.70's you need the $8000 Sas package.
Grrr, so pricing them all out to what I want...it's actually cheaper to get a badlands bronco, than anything lower and try to upfit it. Tried a wildtrac.....holy crap it has soft mushy suspension for going over trails at 75mph, but 25mph weaving around traffic?? Nope!

On the way home I'm thinking to myself..all of this is because I don't have the clearance I want with the BS...what if I concentrate on the issue directly??
So, is there a "badlands compatible" lift kit? I see the HRG is for everything but badlands, anything else out there?
Next question is...if I lift it 1" or 2" or 5", can I get a bigger tire under it and how big is maximum if lifted?

(here's my latest)
I thought a Black Diamond is the best affordable option. And the 6G is only 8.4 Of ground clearance without the SaS fyi. I have been doing the window shopping as well. The 6G just makes off road mods easier.

OP
OP
Goinbroke2

Goinbroke2

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that, we’ll find out this weekend coming as we’re going on the annual “may 24 mud run”. We always had off road trucks to play with and this is the first time we’re trying a street legal vehicle. Crossed fingers, lol.
Sponsored