Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB?

OBKriss

Outer Banks
First Name
Kriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport/2000 BMW Z3
I know that the BL's (not sure about FE's) have a 180 degree camera in the front. On my OB, there is a blank plate where the front camera button would be. Has anyone looked into retrofitting/adding a camera? I'm wondering if the internals are already there behind the blank plate, and maybe it's just an addition of the button and maybe a software tweak.
Sponsored

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
would like to know too. if all else fails, I was thinking of just adding something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071D5CN9D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1DO77E5TBEWHM&psc=1
I bought one from Amazon and it looks like it's going to work. The way the bracket for the camera is designed allows it to tuck up under the grill opening. Just have to drill a couple of holes. When it's mounted you'll just see the camera and it can be adjusted up and down. There are a couple of issues that can be corrected (more or less). 1. The camera will be mounted upside down. 2. The screen must be mounted upside down, too. This is what it would look like. 3. You'll also have to mount the screen upside down as well (making the menu items upside down, too). For $44 it's worth a try. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount
Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_close_v3

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_close_v2

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_v2

View attachment 10814

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I know that the BL's (not sure about FE's) have a 180 degree camera in the front. On my OB, there is a blank plate where the front camera button would be. Has anyone looked into retrofitting/adding a camera? I'm wondering if the internals are already there behind the blank plate, and maybe it's just an addition of the button and maybe a software tweak.
I have a Badlands with Badlands package, which included the front camera. I really like having it, so I can see why everyone would want one.

I don't know if the brackets and wiring are on your vehicle, but it's possible, I suppose. Also included in the production version is a camera washer that activates when the windshield washer is activated (same as for the rear camera and rear window washer). I find this very handy to have in dusty New Mexico. It would be really great if, in addition to camera wiring and brackets, the plumbing for a washer is also installed on your vehicle.

The software update would likely be extensive. My BL has Sync 3 with NAV so it has the big screen. It has a button just below the screen that turns on the front camera at speeds from zero to 6 mph. The front camera also automatically activates in off-road GOAT modes below 15 mph. Installing software to do all this is way more involved than my skills, so maybe the camera you choose will come with it's own screen and software.

Looking forward to hearing about what you decide to do and how it turns out. I'm sure there are many BS owners who would like to know.

Thanks!

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I bought one from Amazon and it looks like it's going to work. The way the bracket for the camera is designed allows it to tuck up under the grill opening. Just have to drill a couple of holes. When it's mounted you'll just see the camera and it can be adjusted up and down. There are a couple of issues that can be corrected (more or less). 1. The camera will be mounted upside down. 2. The screen must be mounted upside down, too. This is what it would look like. 3. You'll also have to mount the screen upside down as well (making the menu items upside down, too). For $44 it's worth a try. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount
Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_close_v3

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_close_v2

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? BS_FrontCam_GrillMount_v2

View attachment 10814
The software on the camera should allow you to invert the picture,so you won’t need to install upside down . Hope this helps .

SunZmSpark

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The software on the camera should allow you to invert the picture,so you won’t need to install upside down . Hope this helps .
Unfortunately, that option isn't available in the menu.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OBKriss

OBKriss

Outer Banks
First Name
Kriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it was worth a try asking...

OP
OP
OBKriss

OBKriss

Outer Banks
First Name
Kriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the camera in the Ford accessories, it comes with all the wiring and instructions for install... Not sure that it would sell like that if it was plug and play device like badlands.
One of these?

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? 1623959734146

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3

View attachment 10814
I was gonna say you can mount it on your front license plate to avoid the upsidedown issue...but when I saw your bronco sport pic...i noticed you didn't have one on. LOL If i get one I'll mount mine on the front plates.

MHUNTOON

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Bumping to see if anyone has been successful in doing this yet. I've got a 2022 Outer Banks on order and I'd love to have this added.

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
Bumping to see if anyone has been successful in doing this yet. I've got a 2022 Outer Banks on order and I'd love to have this added.
I did mine, it’s WiFi the issue was getting it on the screen. I found a module that plugs into where you’re phone plugs in and allows you to down load any app from the google play store. So it mirrors on the screen through WiFi. It works good wired it with a remote control to turn it on or off.

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? 253034A0-5A97-464C-A8CC-8BB8D56BEFB6

MySoupIsTooHot

Outer Banks
First Name
Hilton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport HPR
Here are pic on screen

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? 6E63F43A-FDD9-4E67-8F36-14F8D7829989

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? D47B0110-DDE0-4CE3-A743-F823903BBF80
Here is the module and remote

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? EF805E8D-042C-4A79-B921-267A41B4222C

Ford Bronco Sport Can a front 180 degree camera be added to an OB? 42DBA557-DDF7-4207-AA1B-B452AA33B79A
Im a bit a confused with how each component works together - could you provide a link to each product instead of a screenshot, and be a little more detailed in your install process?
Sponsored