SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Today was the first time that I've driven my Bronco Sport Badlands on black ice. It's extremely squirrely! You can feel that you're going to spin out if you just steer wrong at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I just have Continental tires on it so they aren't the best for these conditions. Any tire suggestions, or just slow way down and no quick steer action?
I have the same tires so I bought a dedicated winter tire. I bought Michelin X-Ice snow tires. Great snow/ice/slush tire and so much safer driving in winter weather.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Look for a tire such as the Falken AT3w or now the AT4w. They have silica in the rubber compound.

But as others have said, ice is slippery and these things arenā€™t on hockey skates!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Black ice can take out most anyone if you are not aware of it and even if you are it has a lot to do with the driver's actions.
It's also not vehicle selective though some vehicles may fair better than others.

OP
OP
ebastow

ebastow

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have the same tires so I bought a dedicated winter tire. I bought Michelin X-Ice snow tires. Great snow/ice/slush tire and so much safer driving in winter weather.
Did you buy extra rims also just so you can keep them mounted?

hellb0y

Big Bend
First Name
Hellish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Yeah the X-Ice snow will be decent in ice - Iā€™ve got the 4 North, iceā€¦snowā€¦.is like nothing happened.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Yeah the X-Ice snow will be decent in ice - Iā€™ve got the 4 North, iceā€¦snowā€¦.is like nothing happened.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to test them in snow as it was mostly a non-snow winter here in the GTA. When I did manage to get into some snow, they were very good. Lots of starting and stopping grip.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I live in the southwest, so I've avoided black ice most of my life. If I were going to have to drive on it, I'd have studded snow tires. I was in Alaska for a bit one winter, and loved the way they handled on snow and ice.

Cactus22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am still rolling on the stock 225 Pirellis. Iā€™ve driven at least a thousand miles in heavy snow and ice in the past year (I ski and the Rockies are in our ā€œbackyardā€). It already feels like I cannot ask for better traction so I have yet to replace the stock tires. Last weekend Rabbit Ears pass was getting a dumping and the grip was steady. Remarkable beasts.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Today was the first time that I've driven my Bronco Sport Badlands on black ice. It's extremely squirrely! You can feel that you're going to spin out if you just steer wrong at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I just have Continental tires on it so they aren't the best for these conditions. Any tire suggestions, or just slow way down and no quick steer action?
I always use a "winter tire" not a three peak but a true winter tire.... I have Michelin X-Ice Snow...best tire i have used.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I have the same tires....i agree with you. Not a fishtail moment this winter thus far.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
I am still rolling on the stock 225 Pirellis. Iā€™ve driven at least a thousand miles in heavy snow and ice in the past year (I ski and the Rockies are in our ā€œbackyardā€). It already feels like I cannot ask for better traction so I have yet to replace the stock tires. Last weekend Rabbit Ears pass was getting a dumping and the grip was steady. Remarkable beasts.
I also have the stock Pirellis on my 21 Badlands and live in southern Ontario so Iā€˜ve driven in snow (not this winter as we didnā€™t get any) with no issues whatsoever.
Sponsored