Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Get and install the Aeroskin II. It completely changes the airflow and those little rocks don't even hit the windshield. After I installed it, I went from bugs everywhere to only an occasional smear.

It looks cool too.
I've one on my BS for eight months. So far, so good.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A bullet fired from a 22 is the size of a tiny pebble but at high velocity can have a devastating effect. I believe the same applies to "tiny pebbles."
Please! With all due respect… Ridiculous!! A 22 fired at your windshield would not ( tink ) like a pebble. Yes it would likely crack or go right through…

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Please! With all due respect… Ridiculous!! A 22 fired at your windshield would not ( tink ) like a pebble. Yes it would likely crack or go right through…
I believe Barry is just pointing out Einstein's theory. To wit, energy equals mass multiplied by the square of velocity. That tells us the kinetic energy of an object is influenced far more by it's speed relative to your windshield than its size.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
Rock chips are kind of a random thing. Most of the vehicles up where I live have cracked windshields. Generally speaking, we don't bother repairing them. My Bronco sport had windshield damage within a few months of owning it. Of our three EcoSports in the family, one has two or three hits to the windshield after 4 years and the other two are undamaged. I've never blamed the quality of the windshield or the design of the vehicle. It's just random...

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I believe Barry is just pointing out Einstein's theory. To wit, energy equals mass multiplied by the square of velocity. That tells us the kinetic energy of an object is influenced far more by it's speed relative to your windshield than its size.
I guess that's what I was trying to say...but you did so far more eloquently.

Last edited:

Tawnygal

First Edition
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Have to agree with you, having already done two full windshield replacements in my '21 First Edition BS. Both incidents split immediately, all the way across. We are also STRICTLY a Ford family (just right now in our immediate family we have 2 '21 Bronco Sports, a '21 Outer Banks Bronco, an F-150 Shelby Super Snake, a '22 Explorer ST and 2 Focuses.) In 25 years, you could easily double that amount of Fords and with all those Fords, I've only had to replace a windshield once, and that was due to a collision with a deer. We also have lived in the same house and held the same jobs for 25 years, so we drive the same routes. The Bronco Sport windshield weakness is a a BIG disappointment.

ETA, yes, insurance covered it (but for how long, if it's going to happen so often? And each one took 3+ months to arrive, leaving me to drive with it as is.)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My stone chip was from a vehicle going in the opposite direction launching the rock at the windshield. A pretty common occurrence around here.
That happened to me with two previous cars, both in Wyoming during the winter months. They drop a lot of gravel on the roads there apparently.

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
I've gone 15 months and 20 miles short of 10k without any windshield issues until I started following this thread and now I have two chips! GRRRRR:mad:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I spent the last week out in AZ. My daughters 2010 Escape has been replaced several times in its life. The current one has more chips and pocks than you can shake a stick at. It’s a fact of life in certain areas and having a larger vertical surface doesn’t help. It helps to stay back but that just reduces the odds but won’t eliminate it.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Get and install the Aeroskin II. It completely changes the airflow and those little rocks don't even hit the windshield. After I installed it, I went from bugs everywhere to only an occasional smear.

It looks cool too.
Thanks for the idea. I've had no chips/cracks yet (14k miles since new), but every bit helps.

When I got this (I had a 2018 Fusion Sport before it - and a 2015 Escape before that) - and before even taking it home - I'd concluded there were risks due to the more vertical windshield if nothing else. (BTW - no chips on my Fusion - but one crack and new windshield on the Escape). After reading a thread or two on here, I improved my glass insurance coverage. But I also back way off any muddy trucks or vehicles, especially on the freeway. Hoping my luck stays good.
Sponsored