MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
Microwave is going to be tricky, given the rated output of the on-board inverter.

Adding a standalone LiFePO4 based inverter+battery bank feeding the microwave oven would be more viable, letting the bank (re)charge off the vehicle on-board source (either 12VDC or 120 VAC/400W).
Yes, it’s kind of a silly idea. Would probably go with a propane stove instead. To run a microwave would require several thousand in gear, including Li batteries, B-to-B charger, inverter, etc. Plus $800+ for a fridge. That same money buys a lot of burritos and sandwiches.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ctrabbit25

ctrabbit25

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Microwave is going to be tricky, given the rated output of the on-board inverter.

Adding a standalone LiFePO4 based inverter+battery bank feeding the microwave oven would be more viable, letting the bank (re)charge off the vehicle on-board source (either 12VDC or 120 VAC/400W).
I do have a jackery to run a dometic fridge and a propane camp stove for cooking that slides out under the sink/cutting board

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
That looks great! What’s your plans for finishing touches paint and the stick on edging to cover the exposed plywood?

OP
OP
ctrabbit25

ctrabbit25

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That looks great! What’s your plans for finishing touches paint and the stick on edging to cover the exposed plywood?
It's going to be painted with a black satin polyshade paint and the edge covered with neoprene rubber trim. The top will have countertop laminate. I will post update photos

Gunther706

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Love the build! I like the way your roof rack is looking too, which crossbars are those?

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Update:
Here are updated photos of the finished build just painting left to do.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport camp kitchen build PXL_20211024_203153371~2
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport camp kitchen build PXL_20211024_201247875
You might want to put some thermal insulation / fireproofing on the areas facing towards the stove when deployed in operational configuration. Something like grade 1401 millboard to reduce thermal transfer would work.

R. Bird

Outer Banks
First Name
Marvin Martian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 OB+OB, 360+, Tow Pkg. (2021)

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I see you have it held down with a ratchet strap, any further thoughts on how to keep the box in place? I’m thinking of doing something similar but about half as wide. Without a tie-down point in the middle, a strap won’t do much.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I see you have it held down with a ratchet strap, any further thoughts on how to keep the box in place? I’m thinking of doing something similar but about half as wide. Without a tie-down point in the middle, a strap won’t do much.
Ideally something like cam-locks or lever-locks to the four-corner cargo tie-points would keep it anchored firmly. Skip all the flex and stretch of straps.

TnyM

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 Chevy c10, '22 Bronco Sport BL
Damn... That looks really nice. Nice job.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That took some ingenuity right there! Any chance you might offer plans?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
This is such an amazing diy setup. It reminds me of a lot of the construction tool setups I've seen on vans and SUVs. Great job! Only thing I'd consider doing, if not already done, is get a hitch tire carrier so I wouldn't have to worry about getting to the spare when it's packed.
Sponsored