Bronco dash cam

vegasvic

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL, Ford F-150, Chevy C-10, '74+'75 Yamaha
I thought about having the factory put a front and rear dash cam when I ordered. I didn’t.

I’ve never had a time or incident where that would have helped me. I didn’t want to spend the money on the “chance” it might do me good. But I then see all the dashcam vids on YouTube that show dumbass stuff happening on the roads today.

Any thoughts on dash cams?
Sponsored

DirtyLuke

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' BS BL, 18' Forester
My wife cought a domestic dispute in a parking lot last year, and I cought a bad t-bone collision this year. That's besides the random cool moments and pretty scenes I've pulled from ours every now and then.

Get a cheap Viofo and just be done with it. The fact that cars don't come standard with them is absurd.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I thought about having the factory put a front and rear dash cam when I ordered. I didn’t.

I’ve never had a time or incident where that would have helped me. I didn’t want to spend the money on the “chance” it might do me good. But I then see all the dashcam vids on YouTube that show dumbass stuff happening on the roads today.

Here's my post on the dashcam I purchased and installed.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/i-installed-a-dash-cam.5244/

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
One key to dashcam video is you wanna make sure its stamped with date/time. Makes it more of an official video if you ever have to present it for legal reasons.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

I'm with you, can't see a need. Have a niece in AZ. Driving to work a woman BLEW a red light, totaled my nieces car. Everyone was OK, not the car. The woman told police she had the green. A truck behind my niece had a dash cam and showed police the evidence my niece was green even after impact. Saved her the ticket. I've shifted my interest a lot.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...

You want a dash cam. I've had dash cams in all my cars starting with my 2016 F-350 and with sentry mode on our Model Y it's another level. I'm really unsure how the insurance industry hasn't all but forced cars to have cams at this point. Anyway, having a dash cam has saved my butt once, captured a couple interesting "you're not going to believe this" moments and saved another person a huge amount of trouble since I was in the right place to record an accident in front of me and easily show who was at fault.

For the Bronco Sport, we're using the Garmin mini that's already been recommended in this thread. And the Dongar adapter to connect it behind the mirror makes install pretty simple. I'd like a rear camera and almost bought a setup that has one, but just went with this for now. Take a look at current reviews and video samples for various cameras out there. Linus Tech Tips did a good shakedown of dash cams a little over a year ago showing how most all of them use the same internals, sensor, etc.. most of the resolution claims are bogus and all that.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
IMO the factory option was overpriced, especially for the video quality. I've had a lot of luck with the Viofo series, A119v2/v3 in several cars. For my BS BL I went with the A129 Pro Duo (4K front, 1080P rear) and 3.5 months into ownership, got hit by a deer. You can see the footage here.

They do make a parking mode kit (wires to an always on fuse, has a voltage cutoff to not kill the battery) if you're concerned about capturing parking lot damage. This is a lesser concern for me so I just have a USB cable running down the passenger A pillar to a DC ("cigarette lighter") splitter that also powers my radar detector and cell phone booster. I figure with the amount of reports of batteries going prematurely on the BS I'm better off not adding more load to the battery while the alternator is off...

Another note I'd make is to watch your specific SD card. Most dashcam makers recommend endurance cards with more durable flash memory (NAND).Viofo recommends very specific cards in particular... if shooting in 4K, I would lean to more storage rather than less. Footage adds up quickly (it will loop the recording to erase oldest non-readonly footage first, but it's just easier to have a larger card for the marginal price difference.)

missOutsyder

Outer Banks
First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I have the BlackVue DR750X. On Dec 28, 2022, caught on camera, my Bronco being damaged by a winter gravel truck spreading “sand” (aka rocks). No fault claim made and paid out, CAD$9,000 in damage to my car, repaired at no cost to me. Wouldn’t be without a dash cam now.

Vassenix

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Got the Garmin 67W installed in my BS a few weeks ago. Liking it so far, the wide view angle is nice.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731429

Also got the Parking mode cable (sold seperately) added to the interior fuse box. Side note, those Micro fuse taps are a pain to find locally.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/587564

I thought about getting the Mini.. was afraid the others may be too noticeable. But was pleasantly surprised with how small the 67W is, having a screen is nice too.

100% recommend getting a dashcam just in general. Saves you from those he said/she said scenarios with insurance.

Last edited:

NorCal67

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have one of the new Ring Dash Cams, The live feature is great on it. Works just like the Ring Doorbell. I suggest if you get one get the one with WiFi/Cell not just the WiFi.

Nosmo Rex

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I have one of the new Ring Dash Cams, The live feature is great on it. Works just like the Ring Doorbell. I suggest if you get one get the one with WiFi/Cell not just the WiFi.
I didn't know the Ring dashcams were available yet?
Sponsored

Last edited: