tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
If you check the owners manual, these engines have a very unusual feature. They can run with no coolant for an extended amount of time. The engine will automatically alternatively disable the cylinder's and use the current non-functional cylinder to cool the other two by pulling in only air. Performance is obviously reduced, but the manual says you can continue driving and find a service station. So I doubt you have any damage from overheating.
Most likely (going by cars I have had in the past) the water pump locked up and destroyed the belt.
Sponsored

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just got my Big Bend on September 2, 2002 then on October 11th I was driving when I started losing power and several warning message started flashing including overheating. I pulled over as soon as I could get to a parking lot, which was only about 1/4 of a mile away. I then noticed coolant all over the front passenger side tire. After being towed to the dealer I just found out today that the main drive belt completely broke and took the water pump out and caused a leak. They are trying to figure out what caused the drive belt to break. It has to be a defect of some sort because the car is brand new. I am concerned that I may have engine damage from it over heating and going in limp mode. It is disconcerting all these issues are happening. Has anyone had a similar experience? I feel so helpless. I just made my first payment and don't even have my Bronco. I have contacted Ford Corporate and they have escalated the ticket.
Update: They replaced the missing serpentine belt and once it was back on, they said everything went back to running normally. They didn't see that the water pump was damaged, I was told the pressure built up when the belt came off and it sprayed coolant. They have no idea why the belt came off. Blamed it on manufacturing and said it most likely wasn't tightened or aligned properly. They are rushing to produce cars off the line and QC may have missed it. Who knows, but it seems to drive ok this evening.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Good news its up and running again.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I know it happens but the drive belt did not have any wear so the question becomes what would make the drivebelt break.
A bad belt , they are massed produced , there is an acceptable manufacturing failure rate .

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Update: They replaced the missing serpentine belt and once it was back on, they said everything went back to running normally. They didn't see that the water pump was damaged, I was told the pressure built up when the belt came off and it sprayed coolant. They have no idea why the belt came off. Blamed it on manufacturing and said it most likely wasn't tightened or aligned properly. They are rushing to produce cars off the line and QC may have missed it. Who knows, but it seems to drive ok this evening.
Sounds like the safeguards Ford built in to the powertrain control module protected your engine as intended. To be on the safe side, watch your coolant level closely over the next few months. If there's an issue with your water pump or head gasket (common victims of overheat) it will most likely manifest as a loss of coolant.

Broncky_Alto

Outer Banks
First Name
Christa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I just got my Big Bend on September 2, 2002 then on October 11th I was driving when I started losing power and several warning message started flashing including overheating. I pulled over as soon as I could get to a parking lot, which was only about 1/4 of a mile away. I then noticed coolant all over the front passenger side tire. After being towed to the dealer I just found out today that the main drive belt completely broke and took the water pump out and caused a leak. They are trying to figure out what caused the drive belt to break. It has to be a defect of some sort because the car is brand new. I am concerned that I may have engine damage from it over heating and going in limp mode. It is disconcerting all these issues are happening. Has anyone had a similar experience? I feel so helpless. I just made my first payment and don't even have my Bronco. I have contacted Ford Corporate and they have escalated the ticket.
Came across your post as I am waiting for a tow for the exact same thing…how did it turn out for you? Very scary as I am on the highway.
Sponsored