KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just got my Big Bend on September 2, 2002 then on October 11th I was driving when I started losing power and several warning message started flashing including overheating. I pulled over as soon as I could get to a parking lot, which was only about 1/4 of a mile away. I then noticed coolant all over the front passenger side tire. After being towed to the dealer I just found out today that the main drive belt completely broke and took the water pump out and caused a leak. They are trying to figure out what caused the drive belt to break. It has to be a defect of some sort because the car is brand new. I am concerned that I may have engine damage from it over heating and going in limp mode. It is disconcerting all these issues are happening. Has anyone had a similar experience? I feel so helpless. I just made my first payment and don't even have my Bronco. I have contacted Ford Corporate and they have escalated the ticket.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I wouldn't be too concerned. Limp mode is intended to protect the engine. Sounds like it worked as intended. Overheat damage is pretty obvious. If you're truly worried you can take it to an independent shop and have it inspected.

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have to trust the dealer and Ford to make it right. I just wonder if this has happened to anyone else's Bronco Sport and if so what caused it. I hope you are correct about the engine.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I’m sorry this happened to you. I know it must feel extremely disappointing.

I could be wrong but I think you have been very unlucky and experienced something highly unusual. I think Ford will be just as interested in finding out what went wrong as you.

I would assume that if your engine has been damaged it will be replaced by Ford under warranty.

At this point I would let your dealership and Ford figure out what happened and give them a chance to make it right.

I hope your dealership gave you a rental car to use?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I think someone a while back had a water pump seize up and mess the belt up. Its not a common problem though.

Several 3 cyl have reported coolant leaks at water pump but dealer replace pumps no issues after that.

Most likely dealer will replace water pump and belt and it will be fine.

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’m sorry this happened to you. I know it must feel extremely disappointing.

I could be wrong but I think you have been very unlucky and experienced something highly unusual. I think Ford will be just as interested in finding out what went wrong as you.

I would assume that if your engine has been damaged it will be replaced by Ford under warranty.

At this point I would let your dealership and Ford figure out what happened and give them a chance to make it right.

I hope your dealership gave you a rental car to use?

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford assured me they will cover the costs and have the car repaired. I guess it is good I haven't found anyone else with the same issues. The dealer worked with Enterprise for a rental, but it is an Altima that smells like cigarettes. Not anything like my pretty new BS.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I think someone a while back had a water pump seize up and mess the belt up. Its not a common problem though.

Several 3 cyl have reported coolant leaks at water pump but dealer replace pumps no issues after that.

Most likely dealer will replace water pump and belt and it will be fine.
^this^

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Drive belts break , it happens , you can see them laying in the road on occasion . If you have engine problems after the repair , they or you will know it pretty quick , I would think .

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah that all happened at once.
Your engine is fine.
Did you see the temp gage climb to the top ? Was there and over temp red light near the gage ?
Just curious.

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Drive belts break , it happens , you can see them laying in the road on occasion . If you have engine problems after the repair , they or you will know it pretty quick , I would think .
I know it happens but the drive belt did not have any wear so the question becomes what would make the drivebelt break.

OP
OP

KLaneAbel

Big Bend
First Name
Kara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The temperature ga
Yeah that all happened at once.
Your engine is fine.
Did you see the temp gage climb to the top ? Was there and over temp red light near the gage ?
Just curious.
My temperature gauge was maxed out. I got alerts on my Ford pass app and on my car that the engine was overheating. I was driving on a small residential road and could not get pulled over immediately.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I know it happens but the drive belt did not have any wear so the question becomes what would make the drivebelt break.
If water pump seizes up that could cause belt to break.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The temperature ga

My temperature gauge was maxed out. I got alerts on my Ford pass app and on my car that the engine was overheating. I was driving on a small residential road and could not get pulled over immediately.
I blew a lower radiator hose once in an aluminum block 4 banger at 75 mph on the super slab.
I had to keep it running for steering and braking control to get across four lanes and into the emergency lane.
That was at 200,000 miles.
I totaled that truck at 384,000 miles. Never had an engine problem.

atlsrt44

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford
Id make sure they check the heads and that its documented in your file at the least
Sponsored