Brand new with a question

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
Received my Orange Badlands on the 8th. Ordered August 2nd. I'm liken it. One question. I'm new and don't know where to post this.

When I open a door on the Sport (with or with out a key in my pocket) some electrical gizmo starts running. It's under the hood, drivers side, black box up front. Shut the door and walk away. The noise continues for 10 minutes. What is it?
Sponsored

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I've been wondering this as well. My theories are the capacitors draining on the starter motor, fuel pump running in reverse, the motor in the steering wheel re-seating.
From what I read on the internet it probably just stuff cooling the turbo and engine after you turn it off. The turbo probably has a secondary cooling pump that runs when the car is just shut off

Mgboyd

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I read somewhere there is a heater for the engine. I hear it too when I open the door in the morning for the first time.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I've listened to mine make this sound before I ever start it with a cold engine.
Starts when there is any electrical interaction with the vehicle.
Unlocking the doors starts it.
Sounds like an electric motor and those drain batteries. With what appears to be a rather high engine off electrical power requirement I'm hoping Ford ok's me plugging a small solar cell with a reverse flow diod and a max volt cut off into the 12 volt outlet as mine is not a daily driver. 5 to 10 watts should do the trick.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I definitely noticed a low humming noise before I ever turn the vehicle on as well. I noticed it since the day I brought it home.

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Heard it on the passenger side of mine while topping off the washer fluid. I believe it’s the headlight assemblies themselves. I would assume with the LEDs there’s a heatsink and likely a fan to keep them cooled one way or another.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I've been wondering this as well. My theories are the capacitors draining on the starter motor, fuel pump running in reverse, the motor in the steering wheel re-seating.
From what I read on the internet it probably just stuff cooling the turbo and engine after you turn it off. The turbo probably has a secondary cooling pump that runs when the car is just shut off
I’ve never seen a vehicle use capacitors for the starter motor. Could you give an example?
Also, why would a fuel pump run in reverse? I’ve never heard of this either.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Heard it on the passenger side of mine while topping off the washer fluid. I believe it’s the headlight assemblies themselves. I would assume with the LEDs there’s a heatsink and likely a fan to keep them cooled one way or another.
I’m willing to bet you are correct.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This would make sense based on the conditions when I've heard the humming noise.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I have this happen on my F150....more like thumping noise. It is the fuel pump priming ....my guess is it just that.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this happen on my F150....more like thumping noise. It is the fuel pump priming ....my guess is it just that.
I think I know the thumping noise you're talking about, but it's my Edge that does that. And it sounds like it originates from under the car. It almost sounds like something mechanical clanging/moving.

The noise the BS is making is different. A low hum coming from under the hood and it is constant, not just for a second.

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I’ve never seen a vehicle use capacitors for the starter motor. Could you give an example?
Also, why would a fuel pump run in reverse? I’ve never heard of this either.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. that was just a crackpot theory. But maybe the starter motor has capacitors because it stops and goes at traffic lights?

sometimes when I'm sitting in the car with the engine off I here stuff clicking on and off

OP
OP
Jenma

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've listened to mine make this sound before I ever start it with a cold engine.
Starts when there is any electrical interaction with the vehicle.
Unlocking the doors starts it.
Sounds like an electric motor and those drain batteries. With what appears to be a rather high engine off electrical power requirement I'm hoping Ford ok's me plugging a small solar cell with a reverse flow diod and a max volt cut off into the 12 volt outlet as mine is not a daily driver. 5 to 10 watts should do the trick.
Osco is right. The sport can be stone cold from sitting for 3 days. It still make the noise without the key any where near. I don't think there is any heating or cooling going on. Maybe someone at Ford knows, maybe not.

OP
OP
Jenma

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least it is good to know that I don't have a "special" Bronco. Someone will figure this out, soon, I hope. Thanks for the comments.

lbjailer

First Edition
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F150 Lariat 4X4, Bronco Sport First Edition
I have my BSFE parked in the garage. It has been turned off for over two days. I'm sitting here and it starts making an electrical noise and sounds like some type of actuator is moving. Chatted with Ford and "he" had no idea and suggests I take it back to the dealer. Health Report shows no issues, and I get the feeling somehow that this is a normal operation. I do think that if it is not started after a long period of time it would probably drain the battery to the point where it might require a jump.
So if anyone figures it out; I'm very curious what it is.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jrl