Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
as for the larger screen, I think that’s just ford being cheap again. Larger screens (meaning larger than the standard 8” screen, not necessarily the 12” in bronco or 15” in mach e) have trickled down to the smaller SUVs of several brands already. The dash design of the sport doesn’t seem to allow for a wider screen. They could go with a taller screen and remove the storage area that resides in that area now, but I don’t see that happening. I don’t think you will see larger screens in the sport until its refresh in 3-4 years.
For aesthetics, I don't think an arcade-game sized screen would look good, especially in what is supposed to be a rugged vehicle. I am thankful for a modest screen size, I still cannot figure out the appeal for large screens.
Before someone accuses me of being tech-challenged, understand that I have worked in control systems development with giant HMI video walls. One of the philosophies in HMI development is keeping the information clean and to a minimum. I just don't see the need for giant screens in a motor-vehicle.
Sponsored

Njia

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT5, Ford Escape
The reasoning is probably the same reasoning as the manual lift gate. This is not a premium vehicle with a premium price tag.
I would be more inclined to agree with you on this point if it wasn't for the fact that my wife's 2020 Escape has a powered lift gate. I know that cost is an issue, but considering the purchasing volumes involved, and the fact that the Bronco Sport and Escape are on the same platform, including it on the FE, Outer Banks, and Badlands trims would not have have broken the bank.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For aesthetics, I don't think an arcade-game sized screen would look good, especially in what is supposed to be a rugged vehicle. I am thankful for a modest screen size, I still cannot figure out the appeal for large screens.
Before someone accuses me of being tech-challenged, understand that I have worked in control systems development with giant HMI video walls. One of the philosophies in HMI development is keeping the information clean and to a minimum. I just don't see the need for giant screens in a motor-vehicle.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with liking a smaller screen. 8” screens have treated me right for years, but for me there are two main advantages of larger screens:

1) larger buttons on a touch screen are easier to find and touch which means less time looking at the screen and more time looking at the road.
2) when using navigation, I like seeing more of the map so I know what’s coming up.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with liking a smaller screen. 8” screens have treated me right for years, but for me there are two main advantages of larger screens:

1) larger buttons on a touch screen are easier to find and touch which means less time looking at the screen and more time looking at the road.
2) when using navigation, I like seeing more of the map so I know what’s coming up.
The vertically longer screen that will come with Sync 4 will make a big difference for this too.

Njia

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apple cinnamon cheerios contain cinnamon. Frosted cheerios built on the same O platform do not contain cinnamon for specific reasons, not because it would break the bank, but because the customer doesn’t want it.
I don't recall being asked whether I would want a power lift gate. If I had been, my answer would have been an emphatic "yes."

And, by the way, spare me the hymnals about vehicle development, platform engineering, etc. I have spent the better part of 30 years in vehicle engineering and supply chain. I know exceptionally well how these decisions are made.

radioboy77

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
When Sync 3 hardware first came out, it was a mess. I suspect more of the same for Sync 4 hardware when it's first released. Sync 3 is a mature OS and works pretty flawlessly...especially with wired connections for Android Auto and CarPlay. I've used wireless AA and resolution is slightly degraded plus there's a lag on touches. This is something you can't really fix ...it's the nature of the wireless connection. Same for CarPlay. Convenient, yes. Practical, sort of. That said, Sync 3, in current hardware, runs fast and solid. For now, until Sync 4 matures, I'd rather have Sync 3. Fewer headaches. Plus, don't forget Ford purchased the BlackBerry division that created QNX, the underpinnings of Sync 3. That team has done wonders for the platform and continues to refine it.

Njia

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please enlighten me why there is no power lift gate.

I do know that they don’t ask every single customer what they want before they decide to manufacture a mass produced vehicle.
I was referring to your tone in your previous comment that strongly hinted at wanting to "enlighten me" as to how these decisions are made. I know how they're made and you don't have to pull out the figurative Crayolas, nor Cheerios for that matter.

As for the actual decision, of course it was the result of some combination of customer focus groups, cost-benefit analyses (probably several and inclusive of pricing, etc.), value engineering, competitive benchmarking, and packaging. Regarding the benchmark, which is the Jeep Compass, the "Elite Exterior" package on some trim levels includes a power lift gate, so at least someone must want it.

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
None of you get a power lift gate because you simply don’t deserve one. ?

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I'll take the vertical liftgate and flip-up glass any day over the powered liftgate. The flip-up glass does add weight and cost. Doing both (power and flip-up) would impact both cost and weight budgets from a design standpoint.
Sponsored